PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Shows You Didn't Like 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shows You Didn't Like  (Read 35996 times)
NostradamusTheSeer
Prolific Member

Skillfully controls the flow of Miss Information

WWW Email
« Reply #45 on: 2016-11-07 18:03:21 »

Fox had Goosebumps (the better-known R.L. Stein book series)... it was a case of "follow the leader" on that one. Live-action series used to round out a block (usu. to meet the E/I requirement), and every network had one or two on its schedule.  NBC was the first to crapcan its animation block for a teen-oriented block made up of lame Saved By The Bell ripoffs, and within a decade the other networks followed suit.  Not that there aren't a few standouts here and there, but most of those shows are pretty mediocre.

Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #46 on: 2016-11-07 18:43:49 »

Oh Goosebumbs was so bad and corny. But I still liked it haha

yasl
Lead Tech

Email
« Reply #47 on: 2016-11-08 05:31:53 »

I got about 3 episodes into Mr. Robot and lost interest.  Lots of casual techy media outlets were praising its "realistic" depiction of hacking.  Now, maybe they set my expectations too high, or maybe it gets better in later episodes or Season 2, but I was unimpressed by what I saw.  They name-dropped appropriate tech things, but appeared to lack a working understanding of what they were talking about.

Much worse, it felt like it should have been a 4 or 5 episode show, but was being stretched out to 10 for purely commercial or programming reasons.

There seem to be a number of otherwise good shows doing that recently.  I recall liking Jessica Jones for the first 6 or so episodes, and being happy enough with the conclusion, but they could have made the show much more cohesive and impactful by cutting 3-4 episodes of lame filler side-plot-y nonsense in the back half of the season.
Wolfwood
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #48 on: 2016-12-07 01:41:41 »

I did some hard thinking.  Certain networks produce utter crap.  Right now, Nickelodeon is the crap king in the US.  But you want to know a network that is notorious for producing absolute barf?  They produce cheap FLASH shows all the time now, and have made some of the worst cartoons of all time.  Here, let me name off a few of their wonderful gems they have produced in the past twenty years...

Angela Anaconda, Mega Babies, John Callahan's Quads!, Braceface, Yakkity Yak, Atomic Betty, 6teen, Cramp Twins, Carl2, Johnny Test, Total Drama, Chop Socky Chooks, Butt Ugly Martians, George of the Jungle, Wayside, Spliced, My Life Me, The Day my butt went Psycho, Grojband, and Supernoobs to name a few.  Every one of these shows in one way or another, was funded or developed with Telethon giving the A-OK! 

I mean, even the names of all these shows suck.  Go ahead, look them up if you haven't heard of them.  They all fail in one way or another, often in many ways.  Many of these shows mysteriously creeped into US markets, only to be cancelled quickly.  All these shows come from Teletoon, the biggest source of bad animated cartoons in the 21st century.  They have had a few good shows, but more are horrible. I am not sure how they can keep doing so badly.  Another strange thing, is Canada allows a lot of taboo subjects, nudity, profanity, etc in their cartoons, even shows for younger audiences.  That has always surprised me.  Swearing isn't shocking in shows made for 8 year olds....

Why do shows from Canada specifically, not translate well in American markets, or any other markets for that matter?  Does anyone know?  Why do they all seem to use FLASH?  Some of these shows did well in Canada, but don't gain any traction in the US and get horrible reviews.  Are our tastes that different? Why are all these poorly created shows allowed to be made?

Nickelodeon, at this pace, will soon be just as bad as Teletoon.  Give them a decade to catch up.   
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #49 on: 2016-12-07 06:10:45 »

Oddly enough, I've heard BraceFace was a good show. I mean. It got like 3 seasons.
But oh my gosh, I'm not the only one who despised Total Drama? Yes, I've found a soul brutha haha.

But wow, you've gone in depth man. Nice to see. Lots of stuff presented here.

aka "Numbers"
Master Member

This is not a personal text

WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: 2016-12-07 12:08:00 »

> will soon be just as bad as Teletoon

Yeah, Teletoon. *sigh* What happened to that channel? It used to air good stuff. Now, it's just... ugh. :-\

Smileys. Made a list of them. I had nothing better to do.
NostradamusTheSeer
Prolific Member

Skillfully controls the flow of Miss Information

WWW Email
« Reply #51 on: 2016-12-07 14:24:28 »

Oddly enough, I've heard BraceFace was a good show. I mean. It got like 3 seasons.

I liked it, but the quality fell off noticeably when the creator/voice of Sharon Spitz, Alicia Silverstone, was replaced.

MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #52 on: 2016-12-07 17:21:16 »

The animation on Braceface was horrible... don't tell me it was good.  It stuttered all over the place.  As for the stories, I am sure they were fine, but I never followed the show.  The show allowed a lot of things that are not allowed in American markets, and no matter how much Disney tried to market it as an American show, the Canadianisms didn't do it any favor. 

Sadly, Teletoon's audiences aren't very picky apparently, and they are the one's that keep approving of lower and lower standards in animation.  If Teletoon gets their viewers on a poorly animated show, see if they can produce a lower quality one and get the same viewers.  What you will notice, because Canada's market is so small, most of Teletoon's cartoons are made in conjunction with another country, whether it be France, Australia, or some other country.  The shows Teletoon does make by themselves, tend to all be FLASH, and just regurgitated plots, characters, and stories.  They are a horrible network now, and have been for a long time.

Wolf is right in that Nickelodeon is heading down that road, but Nick still has a few chances to turn around.  It will be real revealing to see how Nick plans the next generation of shows.  So far we've had forgettable failures. 
« Last Edit: 2016-12-07 17:21:57 by MasterXtreme » Logged
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #53 on: 2016-12-07 17:26:58 »

6Teen was mentioned, and the studio who made that created the show, Stoked, and eventually we got Total Drama.  The lady who created those shows, always added adult humor in them, and a lot of it was on the edge of being bad.  Those shows tanked in the US, except Total Drama for some weird reason. I don't remember her name, I think it's Persch or something like that.  But they did a lot of things that would be rated MA TV here, so networks could barely premier them.  6Teen for example jumped between three different channels including Nick and Cartoon Network before finally being cancelled.  They were the first shows to really start pushing FLASH. 

I've always been confused how such nice people as Canadian's can allow such raunchy stuff on their television, and it seems like no big deal to them. 

MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #54 on: 2016-12-07 17:28:42 »

Even though FLASH wasn't made in Canada, Canada perfected creating poorly made FLASH cartoons that are now the norm.  They used FLASH because it was cheap.  Canada started the FLASH revolution in the early 2000s, to the point now every show on Teletoon that is a cartoon is a FLASH made show. 

America caught on to Canada's use of cheapo FLASH, and now our studios are doing it too.  We didn't catch on till the late 2000s.  And sadly, that is not a good thing to catch on too.  We don't want FLASH. 
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #55 on: 2016-12-07 17:30:28 »

MLP is animated in Canada, and done in FLASH.

One other show that did FLASH nicer then other shows was, Stoked.  It didn't last long, but it was pretty decent.  I think it premiered on Nickelodeon for a very short time, then tanked.  Problem with it and 6Teen is they were cringey and trying to be hip and cool.  No one lived like any of these characters or talked like them.

Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #56 on: 2016-12-07 20:11:52 »

I remember some of those shows, and have heard of the others.  For the most part, they were not good.
Interesting info on FLASH being perfected in terms of cost in Canada.  Another country known for poor FLASH use would have to be Britain and their latest onslaught of toons.  It's cheaper, they have smaller markets.... but sadly, like you said, that same cheap FLASH is making it's way here. 
Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #57 on: 2016-12-07 20:36:05 »

FLASH is a huge part of what is bringing down the quality of animation.  Cartoon Network has had the most recent uptick in fun, creative, animation.  But I fear even they are not sure where to go next. 

Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #58 on: 2016-12-07 20:39:24 »

You can only doll up FLASH animation so much... it still is always noticeable.  It's like putting lipstick on a snail.  It will still always be a snail. 
« Last Edit: 2016-12-07 20:39:33 by Silverwing » Logged
Darrin
Administrator

Email
« Reply #59 on: 2016-12-09 21:15:24 »

Interesting theory there.  It is true, FLASH trickled down here due to our networks buying cheap shows from Teletoon. 

:):):):):):):):):):)>>> "Green is the New You" -PSF <<<:):):):):):):(:):):)
Pages: < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Shows You Didn't Like « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024