PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Steven Universe - Season 3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steven Universe - Season 3  (Read 13469 times)
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #60 on: 2016-07-29 22:34:50 »

Yeah, but no one ever calls them gay XD

Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #61 on: 2016-07-29 22:36:04 »

No they don't.  It is a delicate subject. 
yasl
Lead Tech

Email
« Reply #62 on: 2016-07-30 08:03:14 »

I mean, think of the subject matter, on a children's network, that is being shown.  This would be complete taboo even a few years ago.  One can view this as progress, or a complete decline in our values system.

Eeeeh, Cthulhu always swims left.  I think the idea that non-traditional romantic attraction represents a "decline in values" is drawing very close to the edge of today's Overton window.

Though I'm sure the mono/null-gender thing helped them get the show across the line a little earlier than it would have otherwise.

I particularly like that the show takes these things and just plays them completely matter-of-fact.  Attention is not specifically brought to them, no one dwells on how anything differs from traditional post-classical norms, it's just how things are.  Or at least that's how it was established in S1, looking through Steven's eyes, who'd never known anything else.  Now that Homeworld gems are in the picture, they are making the distinctions more explicit.  Which is fine, but I really liked it when these things were treated as unremarkable.
Darrin
Administrator

Email
« Reply #63 on: 2016-07-30 10:24:41 »

It is starting to become a pretty major focus in the show.  I will give them credit for their world and character building.  That has been really good for a short 22 minute show. 

:):):):):):):):):):)>>> "Green is the New You" -PSF <<<:):):):):):):(:):):)
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #64 on: 2016-07-30 11:19:02 »

Its 15 minutes actually, right?

I just finished watching all the new episodes. I'll give my thoughts on each one later. Gonna have lunch with my Abuelita.

yasl
Lead Tech

Email
« Reply #65 on: 2016-07-30 20:42:50 »

11 mins per ep, so it fits a 15min TV slot with ads etc (or 2 to a 30 min slot).
« Last Edit: 2016-07-30 20:44:05 by yasl » Logged
NostradamusTheSeer
Prolific Member

Skillfully controls the flow of Miss Information

WWW Email
« Reply #66 on: 2016-08-01 19:27:08 »

A lot of the family relationships we see in the show are very nontraditional. For example, Greg's pal Marty knocks up Vidalia and then abandons her to raise the kid alone as a single mom. We later see Sour Cream still has some issues with his stepdad Yellowtail.  Lapis and Jasper have a clearly abusive relationship, and she rejects her every overture to rekindle it-- right down to the classic phrases "I can change" and what we had was not healthy". Jasper even tries to blame Lapis for all their problems-- although physically imposing, the larger Gem seems very weak-willed, and Lapis the stronger-minded of the two. The families of the Beach City boardwalk businesses went to war with each other over French fries, which is both comical and horrifying.

Smiles2us
Administrator

Email
« Reply #67 on: 2016-08-01 22:27:39 »

A lot of the family relationships we see in the show are very nontraditional. For example, Greg's pal Marty knocks up Vidalia and then abandons her to raise the kid alone as a single mom. We later see Sour Cream still has some issues with his stepdad Yellowtail.  Lapis and Jasper have a clearly abusive relationship, and she rejects her every overture to rekindle it-- right down to the classic phrases "I can change" and what we had was not healthy". Jasper even tries to blame Lapis for all their problems-- although physically imposing, the larger Gem seems very weak-willed, and Lapis the stronger-minded of the two. The families of the Beach City boardwalk businesses went to war with each other over French fries, which is both comical and horrifying.

Some goes to the point where they try to make non traditional the traditional and don't even question it.  They try to make a new norm, and it becomes forced. 
NostradamusTheSeer
Prolific Member

Skillfully controls the flow of Miss Information

WWW Email
« Reply #68 on: 2016-08-02 00:06:46 »

Phineas and Ferb did a good job with divorced parents, blended families, and interfaith marriages... Clarence has a woman and her special-needs son cohabitating with a man... it can be done, and done well.

Actually, I'm surprised, with their shared love of music, Greg and Sour Cream don't hang out a bit more... bond over some old-school guitar licks and stories about the old days.  Although Vidalia might not want her son hearing seamy stories about what Marty used to get up to with the groupies.  Who knows, S.C. might have a few half-siblings out there somewhere.
« Last Edit: 2016-08-02 00:06:57 by NostradamusTheSeer » Logged

Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #69 on: 2016-08-02 00:25:04 »

Phineas and Ferb did a good job with divorced parents, blended families, and interfaith marriages... Clarence has a woman and her special-needs son cohabitating with a man... it can be done, and done well.

Clarence also has Jeff.  He has two moms.
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #70 on: 2016-08-02 05:29:44 »

I think SC and Greg don't hang out is that Greg likes playing music while SC likes to DJ and create beats.
Greg makes songs.

I do like how SU shows non traditional families, and even the traditional ones seem to have "missing pieces" for lack of better term. Like Kofi's family. We don't see his wife, only his mom and his two daughters. For the longest time I actually thought KiKi was Jenny's mom, until it was stated they were sisters.

I really like Vidalia, even being a mother didn't stop her from being sarcastic and snarky, but you do see she had to grow up and get a job and become *gasp* responsible, are you listening this generation? She got a job to be able to support her son. Vidalia is a good mom. Time really did a number on her though.

Pages: < 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Steven Universe - Season 3 « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024