PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Movies of 2017 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: Movies of 2017  (Read 38397 times)
Smiles2us
Administrator

Email
« Reply #180 on: 2017-12-14 13:40:56 »

I never knew Fernando was a child's story.  Was it a common book kids knew about, was I out of the loop?
NostradamusTheSeer
Prolific Member

Skillfully controls the flow of Miss Information

WWW Email
« Reply #181 on: 2017-12-14 17:23:47 »

I fear most kids' knowledge of literature stops with Dr. Seuss and books based on Disney films... but, yes, it was a real children's book by Munro Leaf.   Seems it was considered very controversial for its day.   More here.

Soda
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #182 on: 2017-12-14 18:03:37 »

I never was read that book either.  Never heard of it. 
Blurr
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #183 on: 2017-12-14 19:20:46 »

Star wars tonight! I'm in the theater right now!

Water, earth, fire. Long ago, the three seasons lived together in harmony. Then everything changed, when the Shyamalan attacked.....
~~~~~~~~
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt7Z9zf_O70YIrx7UD9xyYg
Fimfiction: https://www.fimfiction.net/user/AutoKnight
FoxTail
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #184 on: 2017-12-14 19:29:25 »

I never heard of Ferdinand as a book.  So I guess it wasn't that well known if so far no one knew about it growing up and it is supposedly a childhood tale.
RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #185 on: 2017-12-14 20:34:17 »

Pixar's COCO

Pixar's Coco has been released and is getting good reviews, until people realize it is all about death.  HA!  It is the fourth highest grossing Thanksgiving release film so far, yet... YET.... it is struggling in the box office.  It will easily pass it's $175 million dollar budget, but it hasn't passed it yet after the first weekend and part of another week, which... is slow for a Pixar movie. I guess what I am saying is, that it isn't drawing in people as much as other Pixar films.

The film was released a month early in Mexico and has grossed a record high $41 million.  That is more then any other movie in pequino Mexico. 

Film review

UPDATE

The film had a very poor showing in the US.  As of December 12, 2017, the film has only made $138.5 million in the US.  That is a record low for Pixar.  All other countries combined drew in  $263 million.  This will be a dud for Pixar in terms of money compared to other Pixar films, but it still drew in way more then they spent to produce it.  In that sense, it was still a box office success. 

The film has garnered positive reviews.

I saw that coming.  The plot and storyline just didn't seem captivating enough to draw people in.  I didn't think this movie would perform well for Pixar.  I mean it still did... but compared to their other films.
Blurr
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #186 on: 2017-12-14 23:16:18 »

Lady Star Wars...................she sure knows her way around and knows how to show me a good time~~~~

Water, earth, fire. Long ago, the three seasons lived together in harmony. Then everything changed, when the Shyamalan attacked.....
~~~~~~~~
Wolfwood
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #187 on: 2017-12-15 00:16:15 »

I never heard of Ferdinand as a book.  So I guess it wasn't that well known if so far no one knew about it growing up and it is supposedly a childhood tale.

The movie is based on the booked called, "The Story of Ferdinand," written by Munro Leaf of Maryland.  It was published in 1936.  In 1938, Life magazine called Ferdinand "the greatest juvenile classic since Winnie the Pooh."  The book has been translated into more than 60 foreign languages, and, at least as of 2002, has never been out of print.

In 1938, apparently Disney made a short animated film based off the book called, "Ferdinand the bull."  It ran over 7 minutes long and won and Academy Award.  Disney also made a follow up book to the film.

Since we've had all this chatter if anyone remembers the book, I have sense read it, and can firmly say, I never remember this story from my childhood.  So for being a classic storybook, it seems very few of us know about it.
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #188 on: 2017-12-15 11:58:41 »

Uh oh.  Star Wars Burn out?  Film Debuts To Lower Then Expected Numbers

Disney/Lucas Films wants a $200 million plus blockbuster break all records weekend. Now it’s unclear if “Jedi” can do that as it’s running 25% behind “Force.”  The film drew in $12 million less then the previous Star Wars film at this point so far.
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #189 on: 2017-12-16 13:50:51 »

1st Episode of New Girls Und Panzer dominates Japanese Box Office!

The official blog for the Girls und Panzer anime franchise has reported the opening weekend box office result for the first episode of the six-part OVA series Girls und Panzer das Finale.

The 42-minute film was released in select 59 theaters across Japan on December 9 and earned an impressive 145,981,740 yen from the 118,798 ticket sales in its first Saturday and Sunday, which was 113.6% of the first weekend gross (128,438,980 yen from 77 theaters) of the franchise's mega hit film in 2015, Girls und Panzer der Film.

Despite of its cheaper ticket price of 1,200 yen (a regular adult ticket price for a film in Japan is 1,800 yen), its per-screen average was also an amazing 2,474,266 yen. Thanks to the very good opening result, 28 more theaters are scheduled to be added from January 20, 2018.
NostradamusTheSeer
Prolific Member

Skillfully controls the flow of Miss Information

WWW Email
« Reply #190 on: 2017-12-17 00:08:20 »

Maybe Disney has oversaturated the Star Wars market since buying the franchise... I mean, George Lucas waited, what, three years between the first two, and another three for Return of the Jedi... then a whole decade before the prequelmania wave hit.  Now, another decade later, and we're bombarded with three movies in just under two years.  Lucas isn't even on board anymore... plus seeing an aging Harrison Ford hobbling around the deck of the Millennium Falcon and the sad passing of Carrie Fisher...  there's a lot of things going against this new film.

Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #191 on: 2017-12-17 00:12:52 »

My friend went and saw the movie with her bf and they both said it sucked.  So... there may be a point of over saturating the market with "too much" Star Wars.  There can be too much of anything after awhile.

Blurr
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #192 on: 2017-12-17 00:20:51 »

PErsonally I thought the new star wars was great. And I think I'm the only true star wars fan in here. I started a thread about it a while ago but I was the only one who was interested in it.

~~~~~~~~
Smiles2us
Administrator

Email
« Reply #193 on: 2017-12-17 00:20:56 »

Die hard fans will love it even if the movie is a stinking pile of you know what.  They will love it if a new movie comes out yearly.  There are just going to be people like that.  But the masses will get burned out after awhile I think.

I know I am tired of seeing Nissan advertisements trying to cross promote Star Wars in their ads.  They are not going to sell me that a Rogue has some sort of magical powers like a space ship!  They can show it as many times as they want, but it won't evoke those feelings!  The Pathfinder doesn't make me think of Storm Troopers!  Stop it! 
Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #194 on: 2017-12-17 00:25:45 »

Die hard fans will love it even if the movie is a stinking pile of you know what.  They will love it if a new movie comes out yearly.  There are just going to be people like that.  But the masses will get burned out after awhile I think.

I know I am tired of seeing Nissan advertisements trying to cross promote Star Wars in their ads.  They are not going to sell me that a Rogue has some sort of magical powers like a space ship!  They can show it as many times as they want, but it won't evoke those feelings!  The Pathfinder doesn't make me think of Storm Troopers!  Stop it!

Exactly right, and I am very sick of those ads too!  I don't even understand what the girl says in one of those ads.  It's like lane assist or something?  What does that have to do with Star Wars!  Your cars aren't even remotely cool looking like Star Wards ships!  Just stop!

I started a thread about it a while ago but I was the only one who was interested in it.

I'm sure there are a few people. :)

Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Movies of 2017 « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024