PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: The Hardship and Struggles: A PSF History 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Hardship and Struggles: A PSF History  (Read 24888 times)
Soda
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #60 on: 2016-02-05 13:49:34 »

That's true. :)  Nice sleuth work. 
Blurr
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #61 on: 2016-02-05 14:19:59 »

Huh, well how about that

Water, earth, fire. Long ago, the three seasons lived together in harmony. Then everything changed, when the Shyamalan attacked.....
~~~~~~~~
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt7Z9zf_O70YIrx7UD9xyYg
Fimfiction: https://www.fimfiction.net/user/AutoKnight
yasl
Lead Tech

Email
« Reply #62 on: 2016-02-05 18:31:27 »

You might maybe be able to limit width with:

[img width=200]http://example.org/image.png[/img]

Though I've not tested it yet.
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #63 on: 2016-02-05 19:23:35 »

Hmm, cool!

Blurr
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #64 on: 2016-02-05 19:47:03 »

Interesting....

Water, earth, fire. Long ago, the three seasons lived together in harmony. Then everything changed, when the Shyamalan attacked.....
~~~~~~~~
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #65 on: 2016-02-05 20:52:19 »

We'll have to test it out

Darrin
Administrator

Email
« Reply #66 on: 2021-12-09 00:24:20 »

Five years, almost six years after the PSF transition from 1.0 to 2.0.... We've sort of had another transition.

So in a quick little recap...

About a month ago our host provider came to us saying our site was taking up too many resources despite us using about 1% of our allotted resources.  The issue was, our site had these things called "faults" which happened for maybe .001 second at a time, roughly four times a day.  When these faults happened, our site's resources spiked and hit our given allotment, despite us 99.99% of the time using 1% of our allotted resource usage.

Over the course of a month I communicated with our host, who was very patient as we tried updated the site, getting things to run smoother, etc.  But we could never rid of the faults.  We reached out to the community, had a few bites, but no one was able to truly help.

Finally on December 6th, we were given the ultimatum.  We have to upgrade to a bigger and more expensive server of our own, or risk being shut down due to these faults.  So there we were... we had to upgrade.  But the problem was the upgrade was SUPER expensive.  $466 for 3 years or service compared to our old 5 year plan for $400.  Not only that, the total would come to about $550 due to our various add-ons for security and privacy. 

When in our most desperate time of need, our PSF community came together from some unlikely and unexpected members, as well as our traditional "regulars."  Both Smiles and I were totally shocked when we came back the next day and saw our PayPal stocked with cash to pay for this upgrade.  That same day, we contacted the host, said "let's negotiate a bit more..." we did, and we even got a nice discount (which they said no to all the way until the very stinking end!! Ugh!).  It was truly another example of the resilience and community we have here that pushed PSF into another chapter of it's life!  Thanks to them and you, PSF has transferred from a shared server to it's own server system with a whole host of new features of us to explore and a direct help line to our host for help when we need it.  We now have so much hosting power and resources, I don't even really know what to say.  Our goal is to try and do good for our members and maybe host more things for our community.

So I would say this is the start of PSF 3.0.  Do you think it is?  This happened right around Christmas... Smiles told me holding back tears in her voice that is was a Christmas Miracle.  I think that certainly applies here.

Thank you PSF community!
« Last Edit: 2021-12-09 00:29:15 by Darrin » Logged

:):):):):):):):):):)>>> "Green is the New You" -PSF <<<:):):):):):):(:):):)
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #67 on: 2021-12-09 17:07:25 »

I think it's safe to call this the start of PSF 3.0.  It is a significant change for the site, even if visually it isn't.
Nemesis Prime

Sneezing In disguise

WWW Email
« Reply #68 on: 2021-12-09 17:28:34 »

I'm so glad everything worked out in the end! Such a rocky road it clearly has been, hopefully now there will be some smooth sailing in the future.
I havent even been here for full year and suddenly it's in the verge of extinction, but i'm happy to see there are people ready to help out big time and it's very nice to see determined admins ready to battle for the safe place of the whole community!

Big thank you to you all!

PM me for want free art! Everybody is welcome to request~

If you want to learn more about "my" Nemesis Prime as RP character click
megacycle

Email
« Reply #69 on: 2021-12-09 18:45:08 »

I'm just glad it all worked out in the end, while I may not be that active on the site, I still enjoy visiting the site and chatting with everybody here!

Now we can have a Merry Freaking Christmas!!!
Smiles2us
Administrator

Email
« Reply #70 on: 2021-12-09 18:49:45 »

It has been a rollercoaster and quite emotionally too.   

Now we can have a Merry Freaking Christmas!!!

Okay.  It's time for the Merry Freaking Christmas!!!   [excited] [excited] [excited] [excited]
Blurr
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #71 on: 2021-12-09 20:11:27 »

*puts on Merry F***in Christmas from South Park

~~~~~~~~
TheBeesSneeze

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #72 on: 2021-12-09 21:56:12 »

I read most of this entire topic.  I never fully knew the whole story.  The topic devolved into a lot of nothing sadly, but I really would love to hear more about the early days from members if they have the time to share.
FoxTail
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #73 on: 2021-12-10 21:59:02 »

I wasn't here the first day of the new site here, but I was pretty close.  I was a guest over at PSF 1.0.  Back then guests could post without having to make an account.
« Last Edit: 2021-12-10 21:59:40 by FoxTail » Logged
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: The Hardship and Struggles: A PSF History « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024