PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Gaming Board  >  Topic: New Console Wants In, The Mad Box 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Console Wants In, The Mad Box  (Read 4711 times)
Wolfwood
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« on: 2019-01-04 17:27:58 »

We don't know the specs yet, but we have some info on it.

Meet the Mad Box revealed by Slightly Mad Studios CEO and found, Ian Bell.  They are the creators of popular racing games such as Project Cars and Project Cars 2. 

It’s a very unusual form, built around the shape of an M — we see what they did there. SMS clearly intends it to stand vertically, with the ends of the M splayed out to form a stand. One end seems to consist of a transparent plate through which you can see the console internals. Bell’s post blurs these out, as some aspects are apparently not finalized.

Suitably called Mad Box, the console will feature true 4K power as well as VR support. Bell clarified the original info above with Variety, stating that VR will actually be able to achieve 120fps.

The free development engine is a surprise move as well. Slightly Mad has created a full suite for other developers to utilize as they see fit, without any additional cost. “We think exclusives are ‘exclusionary’ but given that we’ll be shipping a cross platform engine to all developers it will be their choice,” Bell told Variety, “as of now we have no plans to pay developers ‘incentives’ to exclude other hardware vendors.”

SMS already has numerous investors onboard, and is looking at a global console launch. Bell promises a competitive price, with the target release window being roughly 2022.

A game developer getting into the console business is unheard of. Developers help a company shape its hardware, sure — Polyphony Digital has done so with multiple generations of PlayStations, for example — but this, this is something new

Although the legs aren’t very space friendly — it looks like you’ll need almost as much space on your desk as the console’s full height — Bell suggests they contain some components. This could hint at wireless charging for game pads.

The Tweets show the Mad Box with four different color light strips, with the large SMS mascot on the side picked out in the same color. It seems likely that these are color-changing LEDs that convey a system status, or are user-configurable.

Among other things, Bell also confirms wireless communication between Mad Box units. He adds that they each have a one-press carry handle and don’t weigh all that much. It’s hard to get a sense of scale from the images, but the console appears to be at least the same size as a PS4 Pro, albeit wider.

It sounds like a customizable console.  As of now we have no other info on pricing or a release date... or if this will ever happen.

Article
Article
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: 2019-01-04 17:37:51 »

Woah!  This is news to me.

I don't want to say I don't think this will ever succeed.... but thats what I am thinking.

But honestly, I would love for something like this to succeed.  The Steam Machine was an attempt of this, but we'll see what this game developer can do.  I also fear this could be the start of their decline and in a few years we will see an article on IGN with the title: "Where is Slightly Mad Studios today?"

So I don't want this to become a failed game console on one of those top ten lists of failed forgotten consoles, and I hope it succeeds if they continue on with it.
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: 2019-01-05 21:21:10 »

I guess we will find out, but I don't expect much. They are coming from nowhere and are a fairly small game studio.  How can they produce and have the market to sell this?  What are their supply lines?  So this will be interesting to watch.
Wolfwood
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: 2019-01-19 22:36:44 »

So reportedly they have already changed the system's design?  That's pretty quick.  They must have had a few designs already made.

https://www.dualshockers.com/mad-box-new-console-design/

Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: 2019-01-21 14:58:46 »

Wow, that was sudden and rather strange.  I like this new design much more.  The other one reminded me of a computer tower.
« Last Edit: 2019-01-21 14:59:11 by Silverwing » Logged
Binkyt11

Email
« Reply #5 on: 2019-01-23 13:22:40 »

This is like a love child of PC and console players with what I read. While only time will tell if it succeeds, I kinda hope that it does.
Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: 2019-01-23 13:23:37 »

Well see what happens with this.  It will all come down to price.

MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: 2019-01-24 16:21:23 »

I don't know where this console is going exactly... but I don't think much will happen.
RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: 2019-01-27 14:16:20 »

I am all for a new console, but they will have a hard time breaking in if they do make it.  Seems like it will be niche, a one time console that disappears, or it will never make it to production.
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: 2019-04-07 12:29:59 »

New-is update of concept controllers for the Mad Box.

Article
Depressed edge lord

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: 2019-04-08 11:46:37 »

Is anyone interested in google stadia there streaming service I'm a PlayStation and Nintendo fanboy so I'm never obandoning them butt I will wait a and see what Google do
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: 2019-04-08 21:30:50 »

I hadn't heard of Stadia till you brought it up.  Streaming games is what people claim is the future, but that also means you don't actually own what you buy.  If there is ever a power outage or interruption in internet service, you have zero access to what you bought.
Depressed edge lord

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: 2019-04-10 08:33:21 »

This is xbox fault there stupid xcloud now everyone's got a streaming service playstation now is enough but i prefer Google then Microsoft so I sopport stadia to get Microsoft out of the console bissness
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: 2019-04-10 18:17:24 »

I don't like streaming game services either, but lets stick with the Mad Box in this topic, since that it's purpose.

I hope the Mad Box isn't a streaming only service.
Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: 2019-06-09 21:23:42 »

A lot of media outlets are posting doom and gloom about the future of the Mad Box.

Future of Slightly Mad's Mad Box console "questionable" following Google Stadia announcement.

Mad Box console's future in doubt following Google Stadia reveal.

Mad Box console canceled? | Is there a Mad Box release date?

Pages: [1] 2 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Gaming Board  >  Topic: New Console Wants In, The Mad Box « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024