PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: Eurovision Song Contest 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eurovision Song Contest  (Read 96 times)
Umeko

Lunarian Empress

WWW Email
« on: 2024-05-09 23:57:50 »

Do anyone in here watch it? Thought it'd be fun with a thread about it where we can talk about it :)

~*~ Live each day as if it was your last, no one knows when it comes to an end, don't waste time in regretting, hating. Smile, laugh, treat people the way you want to be treated. Kindness is rare these days ~*~
Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: 2024-05-09 23:59:32 »

It isn't shown in the US. I've heard songs from the past though.

timmelon
SCM Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: 2024-05-10 00:21:31 »

Never watched it on purpose, but I know some entries from Eurovision has become memetic.
Like Finns in 2006 or Moldovans in 2010.
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: 2024-05-10 02:12:38 »

Isn't broadcasted in the States, but from what I know, a lot of it is pretty melodramatic and very pop-oriented.  Bubblegum pop.  Occasionally we might hear some real heart-felt gems, but usually it's just meant to be ear worms to be popular.

For example... "Flying The Flag" (2007) by Scooch is nothing but pure kitsch pop by the United Kingdom.  Euro for sure.

Another example... also by the United Kingdom is Daz Sampson's, "Teenage Life" in 2006.  Nothing but unhinged cringe!

And who could forget the overly dramatic, wishes it was a true anthem, but instead it's a Euro-pop beat from Charlotte Perrelli with Sweden's 2008 entry called, "Hero."

The main thing the rest of the world knows about Eurovision... or at least it's biggest impact was Moldova's EPIC SAX guy, and even then, most don't even know where it came from. Possibly Moldova's greatest gift to the world.

Just be thankful you aren't Germany's "Run and Hide" in 2005 or Malta's "I Do" in 2006.
« Last Edit: 2024-05-10 02:23:35 by MasterXtreme » Logged
Darrin
Administrator

Email
« Reply #4 on: 2024-05-10 02:19:59 »

I've never seen it, but I do know the Epic Sax Guy!!!  [excited]  Don't think it airs in the US at all.  But I see it is on the dying streaming platform Peacock in the States.
« Last Edit: 2024-05-10 02:24:46 by Darrin » Logged

:):):):):):):):):):)>>> "Green is the New You" -PSF <<<:):):):):):):(:):):)
Spiffmin

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: 2024-05-10 02:26:11 »

I have never heard of it.
Tüsszent

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: 2024-05-10 02:44:05 »

It is Euro-camp.  All I can say is that the UK and Germany have finished in last place more than anyone.

I was always partial to Les Fatals Picards entry for France in 2007.  "L'amour à La Française."  Unapologetically French for the most unapologetically European reality tv show.

I am sure the rest of the world looks at our international contest and thinks we are silly.  I don't blame them.  It has produced some awful music. ;D When you have content like this Verka Serduchka - Dancing Lasha Tumbai (Ukraine - 2007), you have to question our sanity.
RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: 2024-05-10 12:07:57 »

I've heard some of the songs I'm sure, but Eurovision isn't something the world outside of Europe is aware of. We mainly know it for it's overly poppy music.  I think it's a cool idea having countries compete with their best songs they can come up with though.
Umeko

Lunarian Empress

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: 2024-05-11 09:03:16 »

Lol yes while its a 'european' contest, we also have Israel, Azerbanjian, armenia aaaaaand Australia in the contest!
Also lately more eurodance is popping up and Metal! So many good ones this year!

Check videos out on youtube its insane how many people can fit in a stadium.

Yeah Epic Sax Guy, he had another one
Let see if it works
Then Finland last year was INSANITY!

its the biggest contest in the world that's not sport :P big party!

~*~ Live each day as if it was your last, no one knows when it comes to an end, don't waste time in regretting, hating. Smile, laugh, treat people the way you want to be treated. Kindness is rare these days ~*~
Soda
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: 2024-05-11 10:47:21 »

Having fun with music in a friendly competition is A-OK by me. ;D
Umeko

Lunarian Empress

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: 2024-05-11 13:27:28 »

and we got 25 new songs to add to spotify!

Umeko

Lunarian Empress

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: 2024-05-11 16:23:32 »

Switzerland wins this year! First non binary singer to win! and they haven't won since 1988! Well deserved, they were amazing!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: Eurovision Song Contest « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024