PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: My Little Pony: A New Generation Discussion 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 30 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Little Pony: A New Generation Discussion  (Read 46313 times)
LovesSneezingApparently
SCM Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #45 on: 2021-09-26 20:27:17 »

This post is spoiler-free!  ^-^

I… kinda hate that it was just a movie!

They set up a problem that had a lot of potential, then they solve it and it all goes by sooo fast. I barely got to know anyone, and when it was over it was OVER. There wasn’t even time for a closing song!
I have no idea what to expect from the series – will they explore the backstory? Did they actually save the whole world or just a few communities? What does the whole world even look like?

I almost want to say the movie isn’t a very good pilot… except it did get me excited for the series. So: job done. I just think the plot easily could’ve stretched out to cover an entire season without it getting boring. But, maybe season 1 will be way better than even that and I’ll look incredibly dumb.

There’s going to be a 44-minute special that bridges the movie with the series, and, yeah, that’s 100% necessary.

Now! For my REAL criticism: Two of the major, primary, A-list characters are named Pipp and Zipp. ….come on.  ::)
Soda
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #46 on: 2021-09-26 22:14:47 »

I was going to do a live watch, then thought writing would distract me too much from fully enjoying this film.  So have this instead.

I loved the movie and characters, but I felt it all went too fast.  I didn't feel like I got to really know anyone.  The thing that confused me too is they seemed to be talking like each pony race lived in a separate country, yet they were able to easily walk to them within less than a days time.  We saw the leader of pegasi... or was it just the leader of that one city?  We never saw a true leader for the unicorns and earth ponies.  If there was indeed some grand world issue, it seemed to only focus on these three communities.  The only one of any size was the pegasus city.  The unicorn and earth pony towns were small, with the unicorn one being more or less a depressed village with no jobs.  So do they live in Equestrian or some other continent?  It's confusing.  I want to know how this world became this way after the rather happy ending to society.  And what happened to Twilight if she would supposedly live for a long time?  How far in the future are we?  This world and the Equestria we used to know have a lot of conflicting things going on.

But overall, I loved the movie, the characters, and it was a lot of fun.  I am so happy to see this is doing so well in the ratings and reviews. The only somewhat main character I don't care for are Pipp and Sprout.  I was sad to see that iconic lighthouse be destroyed so fast.  I thought that would be a perfect iconic building for her to live in like twilight had her treehouse library.  I was also shocked by the very beginning seeing what we saw.

Animation was good.  Visuals were good.  Music was okay to good.   I'm a little torn with all the technology, but thankfully they didn't push it too hard.  I hate seeing characters looking at their phones though. :P  They made a ton of great sets and locations, and clearly spent a lot of time and money on it.  It shows and was very pretty.

It's pretty clear they tried to bridge the gap for fans of MLP:FiM fans into this new world.  There is some sort of continuity, but it's weird that the characters we loved in MLP:FiM are now considered "ancient Equestrians." 

The news about this is so conflicted.  Originally it us getting a full length movie, which then got shadow-realmed to being just a streaming services movie. :(  There was also going to be a tv series.  Will this still be a tv series or will it be completely different characters again with a lesser quality CGI?

flemishcap

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #47 on: 2021-09-26 22:31:35 »

Ooooohhhh!!! THE MOVIE IS GOOD!  REALLY GOOD! :D It was very fun and enjoyable and I hope and pray the series is as good as this!  I want to know more about this world and it seems like it wants to be more storytelling than just jokes like 'Pony Life.'  That show never should have been made.

This is much more of the ilk of MLP:FiM's writing and care for the world.
Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: 2021-09-27 00:45:40 »

The news about this is so conflicted.  Originally it us getting a full length movie, which then got shadow-realmed to being just a streaming services movie. :(  There was also going to be a tv series.  Will this still be a tv series or will it be completely different characters again with a lesser quality CGI?

Sadly because of the worldwide pandemic, it's release to theaters was pulled.  It is only being released to theaters in some Asian countries.  In the US, it was moved to Netflix.  I think they should still release this in theaters in the US.  Seems like a missed opportunity since the budget for this film definitely warrants it.

Hasbro and Netflix announced that a computer-animated streaming television series as well as a 44-minute special would also release on the streaming service, following the film. The series will center on the adventures of Sunny Starscout and her friends after the events depicted in the film.  There is no timeline for these releases yet.

It is expected that the same studio who made the film (Boulder Media) will make the cartoon series, especially since Hasbro bought them for the very purpose of making content..  They also made series like Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, the early seasons of The Amazing World of Gumball, and the current DC Super Hero Girls (the redesigned one).

DEEcat98

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #49 on: 2021-09-29 00:53:42 »

This may be an unpopular opinion but,

once when the G5 show premieres, I’m hoping that either one of the four main female lead ponies will later be revealed as a LGBT where one of them would get a girlfriend.
RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: 2021-09-29 13:20:36 »

To do it just for the sake of doing it, to be woke, is an unpopular opinion.
RainySunshine
SCM Member

WWW Email
« Reply #51 on: 2021-09-29 13:34:31 »

Here we go, all the songs from the movie compiled.

While the songs were okay, some were definitely better than others.  I would have preferred the moments of song didn't happen, as it took away from the movie in time it desperately needed to expand and explain.
Nemesis Prime

Sneezing In disguise

WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: 2021-09-29 17:16:54 »

Here is my two cents:
I just finished watching this and i must say i'm pleasantly surprised of it. Still the 3D style rubs me the wrong way as i have so much higher respect fo the 2D art and especially 2D animation. But i'm not sure how to feel about this, but honestly i think atleast in story point of view, this one was much better than the G4 movie.

I actually enjoyed watching this and sure there was bit of places where you can predict what's going on, but not as much as in the G4 movie, which i do also like dont get me wrong, just the story was much too predictable.

So for me, if they took the art style from the G4 movie and took the story from the G5 movie, it would have been absolutely 10/10 thou i would prefer a little bit less singing or atleast make it shorter, i've never really been much of a friend of musicals and there is only so much singing i can handle, but atleast the songs were'nt anything too annoying, just kinda forgetable. I honestly cant remember any of the songs that well and i dont think i will be looking for them either, i'll just go back to my G4 playlist.
Dont judge me... Please?

PM me for want free art! Everybody is welcome to request~

If you want to learn more about "my" Nemesis Prime as RP character click
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #53 on: 2021-09-29 17:27:43 »

Here is my two cents:
I just finished watching this and i must say i'm pleasantly surprised of it. Still the 3D style rubs me the wrong way as i have so much higher respect fo the 2D art and especially 2D animation. But i'm not sure how to feel about this, but honestly i think atleast in story point of view, this one was much better than the G4 movie.

I actually enjoyed watching this and sure there was bit of places where you can predict what's going on, but not as much as in the G4 movie, which i do also like dont get me wrong, just the story was much too predictable.

So for me, if they took the art style from the G4 movie and took the story from the G5 movie, it would have been absolutely 10/10 thou i would prefer a little bit less singing or atleast make it shorter, i've never really been much of a friend of musicals and there is only so much singing i can handle, but atleast the songs were'nt anything too annoying, just kinda forgetable. I honestly cant remember any of the songs that well and i dont think i will be looking for them either, i'll just go back to my G4 playlist.
Dont judge me... Please?

Most all will agree with you.  The majority of people here prefer 2D animation based on our conversations on this board. ;D  I too, don't care for the musical bits.
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #54 on: 2021-09-30 23:13:15 »

MLP:A New Generation on Top Late Night Show Gutfeld!... Made Fun Of :(

There was an entire tv segment on the number one rated late night show "Gutfeld!" about MLP:ANG. It aired September 30th, 2021. 
They made fun of the series for it's supposed political activist character Sunny Starscout that was straight from the original Hasbro press-release of the show.  Clearly no one watched it, but it was obvious some of the people on the Gutfeld! show do enjoy MLP.  Greg Gutfeld the host has even said he enjoys pony in the past and has a cup with a unicorn on it.  But this time they were trashing the show and since they didn't see the show (most likely) they would know the original press release of her being a "political activist" didn't really pan out as bad as it sounded.  It was just normal kids show antics.  There are some strange bits including Gutfeld saying they should make their own My Little Ponies.

They mentioned how she tried to stop a big corporation that makes weapons for protection of Ponykind and how the show was taking jabs at government types similar to our own on earth.  They really didn't have much to go on, but the real joy was seeing a few of the show's main cast secretly admitting they loved MLP. 

I'm sure Equestria Daily and other pony outlets will pick up on this when they find out.  Here is a clip of it starting at 6:20 and running till about 9:30.  Sadly the clip cuts and for some reason as whomever edited it messed up.   The pony talk picks up again at 12:00.  It finally ends at 15:50.

« Last Edit: 2021-09-30 23:32:10 by MasterXtreme » Logged
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #55 on: 2021-09-30 23:40:02 »

^ Greg Gutfeld is no strange to My Little Pony.  He loves to bring it up whenever he can and as you mentioned, he loves unicorns and having his unicorn cup.  So a lot of what he does is jokingly so, but I know you know that too.  He truly makes fun of everything.  I'm sure the fandom will freak out eventually when they find this.

Even in the AT&F comic series, on the tv screen sometimes you will see a parody of Gutfeld WITH his unicorn mug in the comic series!  So it's clearly known throughout the fandom. ;D It still makes me sad to see them bash it though.

--------------------------------------

This review by someone on the internet about the new movie is pretty in-depth.  Figured I would share it.

I find that it executes the “Next Generation Sequel” concept pretty darn well. It essentially confirms that it’s the same universe as G4 but far flung into the future to the point that the events of “Friendship Is Magic” are considered “Ancient Times.”
We get direct references by way of the Mane Six appearing in a fantasy sequence of Sunny, Sprout and Hitch, complete with their voice actors. Shortly after, Sunny’s father tells off Twilight’s journey. However, what could’ve been cheap fanservice is actually utilized brilliantly for both types of viewers.
G4 fans will fawn over the iconography from FiM, the characters opening the movie and even subtle story references. However, they’re often in service to the current generation that has developed tech like smartphones, television screens and Megazords. No context on that last one.
Newer fans might recognize the previous cast of characters but won’t need to have seen their adventures for context of “A New Generation.” The Mane Six’s exploits have become myths, ancient lore. With The Legend of Korra and (yes) the Star Wars New Trilogy, they take place either one or two generations after the previous. One that can lead to pitfalls both for writers and fans alike.
A smaller time gap would warrant appearances from the original cast of characters and all the narrative baggage that comes with it. For fans, this can be contentious since how they changed as people will often be… very divisive.
Again, “A New Generation” taking place in what can be assumed is a new millennium after Twilight’s passing (so being an Alicorn doesn’t mean you get automatic immortality, huh). Fans and writers alike are focused on this radical new yet familiar Equestria. It’s Sunny’s story first and foremost with her new Mane Five.
There’s also the way the new conflict semi-undermines G4′s finale with ponies divided now more than ever. However, there’s still friendship amongst their own kind and its implied that this only became a problem after Twilight’s time. Generation after generation learned to fear others with old prejudices taking root.
I feel like this is sort of realistic with building off of Cozy, Chrysalis and Tirek’s efforts to reignite racist sentiments amongst each pony kind. That sort of this clings like a bad stain to an otherwise good rug with just enough ponies having… reservations.
Yet even if they become rooted in society once more, those like Sunny and her father before her prove that Twilight's efforts weren't in vain. It's always a cycle where old rhetoric reemerged even after a period of harmony. What matters are those who hold the line and go against reemerging trends that harm others.
There's always going to be those who try to divide us, either for power like Sprout or out of fear like his mother before him. However, there's always going to be those like Sunny or Izzy who see past their shortsightness.
And I like that.
« Last Edit: 2021-09-30 23:40:18 by Silverwing » Logged
Wolfwood
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #56 on: 2021-10-07 18:48:11 »

Saberspark has reviewed the movie now... and LOVES it.

Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #57 on: 2021-10-07 18:50:40 »

Saberspark has reviewed the movie now... and LOVES it.

As he should!!! ;D

Blurr
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #58 on: 2021-10-08 09:39:22 »

Goooood!

Water, earth, fire. Long ago, the three seasons lived together in harmony. Then everything changed, when the Shyamalan attacked.....
~~~~~~~~
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt7Z9zf_O70YIrx7UD9xyYg
Fimfiction: https://www.fimfiction.net/user/AutoKnight
RainySunshine
SCM Member

WWW Email
« Reply #59 on: 2021-10-08 14:26:32 »

It's been awhile since he's been a ravaging brony.
« Last Edit: 2021-10-08 14:26:39 by RainySunshine » Logged
Pages: < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 30 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: My Little Pony: A New Generation Discussion « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024