PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Movies In General 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: Movies In General  (Read 52412 times)
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #195 on: 2019-03-18 18:14:30 »

Warner Bros.' Kevin Tsujihara to Exit as Studio Chief Following Sexual Misconduct.
« Last Edit: 2019-03-18 18:15:18 by Silverwing » Logged
RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #196 on: 2020-06-02 18:18:32 »

Exhibitors Should Allow Digital Releases for Mid-Tier Films After 30-Day Window, Analyst Says
Article Source

Universal and Warners have "greater financial incentives ... given their vertical integration with pay TV distributors, while Disney is "highly dependent on healthy theatrical distribution," says Credit Suisse.
Exhibition companies should consider allowing premium VOD releases of mid-tier films after a 30-day theatrical window, Credit Suisse analyst Meghan Durkin said in a Monday report entitled "Not Coming to a Theater Near You: Do Theater Companies Need to Entertain a PVOD Window?"

"After a decade of talk, premium VOD is becoming a reality," she wrote. "With the highly uncertain landscape created by the COVID-19 crisis, media and studio management teams — many of them new in their roles — face a range of unknowns as theaters get set to resume operations around the globe. Large tentpole films are tentatively scheduled for release beginning in mid-July, but with little visibility on consumer willingness to go out to theaters, even with social distancing protocols and seating capacity reduced to 50 percent or less."

She highlighted streaming usage spikes due to shelter-in-place orders "just as new studio heads are looking for ways to more aggressively innovate for the future, including building out and leveraging streaming platforms," adding, "These dynamics have caused a few studios to bypass theaters with some films and try direct to home video in the U.S. (with some success)."

The National Association of Theatre Owners responded to Universal expressing pleasure with the PVOD results of Trolls World Tour amid the novel coronavirus pandemic that such releases should not be interpreted as a sign of a "new normal" for Hollywood. And AMC Theatres said it would not screen Universal films due to the dispute.

Cinema owners "have resisted the PVOD pressure, but global theater closures have all parties rethinking business models," the analyst added. "Unless films can shift to PVOD 30 days post theatrical while consumer awareness is still high, in the current environment we believe studios are more likely to bypass theaters with mid-tier films, whether straight to PVOD or to streaming."

She concluded: "In the end, that would hurt both theaters and studios, as many become outsized success stories (Joker, The Greatest Showman, Deadpool) and can even spawn future franchises."

Durkin noted that consumers are spending less on home video overall, but spending in the earliest window — premium priced electronic sell through — has increased, which he argued is "potentially a good sign for PVOD."

The Credit Suisse analyst's report also highlighted that studio strategies vary at Hollywood conglomerates. "Disney is squarely in the blockbuster business, while the more diverse slates at Universal, and Warner Bros. allow for PVOD experimentation," she said. "We also found greater financial incentives for PVOD with Universal and Warner Bros. given their vertical integration with pay TV distributors (keeping 100 percent of PVOD revenue in those homes, versus 70 percent typically) and given their lower box office splits than Disney."

In terms of Hollywood stocks, Durkin said this means that he sees "studios with vertically integrated distribution like Universal (Comcast) and Warner Bros. (AT&T) as capturing outsized PVOD economics versus a Paramount (ViacomCBS) or a Sony (Sony Corp.), while Disney’s mega-blockbuster strategy is highly dependent on healthy theatrical distribution and might continue to eschew a PVOD window."

LightShed Partners analyst Richard Greenfield in a report on Monday similarly wrote that for "commercial films that do not have blockbuster potential, we continue to see a steady stream move to PVOD, particularly from Universal. … We have also seen studios look to sell off titles to third-party SVOD platforms, including Netflix, Amazon and Apple (Paramount’s Lovebirds to Netflix, Universal/Blumhouse’s Run Sweetheart Run to Amazon and Sony’s Greyhound to Apple)."

Referring to the July 17 theatrical release date for Warner Bros.' Christopher Nolan film Tenet and the July 24 release for Disney's Mulan, Greenfield also argued: "In reality, Christopher Nolan and Disney’s attempt to save theaters might just accelerate their demise. That said, with windows likely to emerge from COVID-19 far shorter than 90 days, early PVOD windows becoming more normalized and more films going direct-to-consumer via SVOD, the future of theatrical exhibition looks grim at best, even if studios hold off on releasing films into theaters. Movie theaters simply cannot survive on 15-20 superhero/animated/event pictures a year, they need a steady flow of films of all sizes and genres."
Darrin
Administrator

Email
« Reply #197 on: 2020-07-20 17:10:48 »

No....

MINIONS 2: The Rise of Gru Trailer (2021)

:):):):):):):):):):)>>> "Green is the New You" -PSF <<<:):):):):):):(:):):)
flemishcap

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #198 on: 2020-10-31 13:03:12 »

Some news.

AMC Theatres warns it could run out of money by end of the year
The country's largest movie theater chain says its cash resources currently will be 'largely depleted' by end of 2020 or early 2021.
Article

Sean Connery, the iconic James Bond actor, passes at 90
The legendary Scottish actor immortalized novelist Ian Fleming's British agent character 007 in films since the early 60s.
Article
Graymist

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #199 on: 2021-07-07 18:45:11 »

New sequel?  Did anyone ask for this?  I don't think the first movie even did well.

The Addams Family 2 by Universal Pictures, which we don't even have a topic for. I guess they make so few animated films who cares.

« Last Edit: 2021-07-07 18:45:31 by Graymist » Logged
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #200 on: 2022-04-12 16:11:28 »

Gilbert Gottfried, the comedian, dies at 67. :( 
« Last Edit: 2022-04-12 16:11:40 by Silverwing » Logged
NostradamusTheSeer
Prolific Member

Skillfully controls the flow of Miss Information

WWW Email
« Reply #201 on: 2022-04-12 23:20:09 »

I thought he looked a tad unhealthy during his recent appearances on Svengoolie's show.

A bit of harsher in hindsight happening here, as the film's title is Calling Dr. Death.    :-]

Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #202 on: 2022-04-12 23:22:33 »

He apparently had a rare genetic muscle disorder called type II myotonic dystrophy.  He has had it for years, possibly over a decade.  He never made it public when he first started suffering from it.
« Last Edit: 2022-04-12 23:22:50 by Silverwing » Logged
Soda
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #203 on: 2022-06-13 22:49:43 »

New Top Gun movie was exciting.
aka "Numbers"
Master Member

This is not a personal text

WWW Email
« Reply #204 on: 2022-06-13 23:56:55 »

Yeah, lots of people had nothing but good things to say about it. I've heard a few say it's better than the original. I haven't watched either movie, so I'll try to watch the original soon.

Smileys. Made a list of them. I had nothing better to do.
Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #205 on: 2022-06-14 00:11:05 »

I haven't seen it, but I plan to when I can watch it at home.

Blurr
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #206 on: 2022-06-18 15:14:21 »

New Top Gun movie was exciting.

Haven't seen it yet but I love the original.

Water, earth, fire. Long ago, the three seasons lived together in harmony. Then everything changed, when the Shyamalan attacked.....
~~~~~~~~
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt7Z9zf_O70YIrx7UD9xyYg
Fimfiction: https://www.fimfiction.net/user/AutoKnight
RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #207 on: 2022-12-06 15:37:33 »

Well this is movie related... even if it was from the 1980s...

'Serial entrepreneur' buys 'Goonies' house, listed at $1.7M

Article Source

The listing agent for the Victorian home featured in “The Goonies” in Astoria, Oregon, said this week the likely new owner is a fan of the classic coming-of-age movie about friendships and treasure hunting, and he promises to preserve and protect the landmark.
The 1896 home with sweeping views of the Columbia River flowing into the Pacific Ocean was listed in November with an asking price of nearly $1.7 million.

Jordan Miller of John L. Scott Real Estate said the sale is expected to close in mid January, The Oregonian/OregonLive reported. The new owner, a self-described 'serial entrepreneur,' will make his name known at that time, Miller said.

Since the movie came to theaters in 1985, fans have flocked to the home in northwestern Oregon’s historic port of Astoria. The city celebrates Goonies Day on June 7, the film’s release date, and welcomes thousands of people for the event.
An offer was accepted six days after the house was listed, according to public record.

Seller Sandi Preston is passing along movie memorabilia she has collected or has been given, and some of the furniture in the home, restored to its original 1896 style, may also be sold to the buyer, according to Miller.

Preston was known to be largely welcoming to visitors. But she lived in the house and the constant crowds were a strain that prompted her at times to close it to foot traffic.
After the film’s 30th anniversary drew about 1,500 daily visitors in 2015, Preston posted “no trespassing” signs prohibiting tourists from walking up to the property. She reopened it to the public in August.

Based on a story by Steven Spielberg, the film features a group of friends fighting to protect their homes from an expanding country club and threats of foreclosure. In the process, they discover an old treasure map that leads them on an adventure and allows them to save their “Goon Docks” neighborhood.
Crimson Crest

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #208 on: 2023-01-24 19:08:36 »

Remember that drawing by PupperStar I showed you guys the other day featuring a dragon who inevitably sneezed despite the human finger under his nose? Well, I finally got around to sharing the movie the dragon came from. It's called Hidden Dragon, and judging from the trailer, it's about a naive young dragon in an underwater city who finds a human and helps it escape somehow.

And not gonna lie, I love this dragon character! He's too adorably innocent, and the way his nostrils flare when he's happy is fantastic. ;D

The movie comes out someday this year.
Wolfwood
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #209 on: 2023-03-19 15:58:09 »

So there is a rumor swirling from a German publication (only a German one so far, so take it with a grain of salt) but they are saying there are talks of a Red Dead Redemption movie possibly being considered.  I think a series called RED DEAD would be awesome, and have one movie on the current game, then the first game.  Tell the story in beautiful theater style.  I bet it would be a hit.
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Movies In General « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024