PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Movies of 2020! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 [2] 3 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: Movies of 2020!  (Read 7593 times)
Darrin
Administrator

Email
« Reply #15 on: 2020-02-16 15:28:56 »

Weekend Box Office News...

The redesigned "Sonic the Hedgehog" showed plenty of teeth at the box office, speeding to a $57 million debut, according to studio estimates Sunday, while "Parasite" saw one of the largest post-Oscars bumps in years following its best picture win.

"Sonic" came in far above any expectations, especially for a movie that just months ago was a laughing stock. After its first trailer was greeted with ridicule on social media last year, "Sonic" was postponed three months to give its title character a design overhaul – including fixing Sonic's eerily human teeth.

Audiences responded to that makeover by anointing "Sonic the Hedgehog" the weekend's top film and the highest-grossing opening for a video-game adaptation, not accounting for inflation. For Paramount, it's a welcome success following misfires such as "Gemini Man" and "Terminator: Dark Fate." The studio estimates "Sonic" will gross $68 million for the four-day Presidents Day holiday weekend.

"If you don't listen to your customer, and this goes for any business, then you're going to fail," says Chris Aronson, distribution chief for Paramount. "We retooled Sonic in a way that was obviously very satisfying for the fans and they were very forgiving. Now that they've seen the movie, they love the movie. It all worked out."

The Sega video-game adaptation, directed by Jeff Fowler, drew decent reviews (63% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes) and an A grade from moviegoers on CinemaScore. The $87 million production co-stars Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik with Ben Schwartz supplying Sonic's voice.

Bong Joon-ho's "Parasite" had its biggest weekend yet (after 19 weeks of release), following its historic win at the Oscars. ("Parasite" was the first non-English-language film to win best picture in the 92-year history of the Academy Awards.) Despite the film already being available for weeks on digital platforms and on DVD, its $5.5 million weekend is the largest Oscars bump for a best-picture winner since "Gladiator" in 2001.

Last week's opening of "Birds of Prey" followed up its disappointing debut by sliding to second with $17.1 million. Some theaters decided to retitle the movie "Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey," instead of "Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)."

It was a busy weekend in theaters, with a handful of other new releases – "The Photograph," "Fantasy Island" and "Downhill" – seeking to capitalize on both Valentine's Day on Friday and Presidents Day on Monday.

"Fantasy Island," the Blumhouse horror remake of the '70s TV show, fared the best, collecting $12.4 million in ticket sales, despite terrible reviews. The low-budget, PG-13 film earned just a 9% fresh score on Rotten Tomatoes.

"The Photograph," a romance starring Issa Rae and Lakeith Stanfield, opened with $12.2 million. The film cost $15 million to make.

"Downhill" debuted with $4.7 million, a modest start for a film starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Will Ferrell. A remake of the acclaimed Swedish film "Force Majeure" by Ruben Östlund, "Downhill" didn't do great with critics but fared even worse with audiences. They gave it a D on CinemaScore.

"Portrait of a Lady on Fire," one of 2019's most acclaimed films, received a slightly wider Valentine's Day release. Following a one-week qualifying run in December, Celine Sciamma's French period romance opened in 22 theaters with a strong per-screen average of about $20,000.

Final numbers are expected Tuesday.

:):):):):):):):):):)>>> "Green is the New You" -PSF <<<:):):):):):):(:):):)
Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #16 on: 2020-02-18 18:08:52 »

Thanks for the updates.

LocoLover3

I say what I like and I like what I say. So there.

Email
« Reply #17 on: 2020-02-19 12:38:28 »

Yeah, the difference is real. I can't see ow they found the first even acceptable.

https://i1.wp.com/metro.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/PRC_96584529.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=644%2C334&ssl=1

Just a comparison image.
« Last Edit: 2020-02-19 12:39:18 by LocoLover3 » Logged

I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
aka "Numbers"
Master Member

This is not a personal text

WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: 2020-02-19 13:53:46 »

Kinda glad the Sonic movie is doing well, after having been postponed over and over again. I heard it's actually not that bad.

Smileys. Made a list of them. I had nothing better to do.
Darrin
Administrator

Email
« Reply #19 on: 2020-02-19 18:23:56 »

It's nice when a company listened to the fans and made the change.

It's a shame the animation studio that DID the change went out of business immediately after. :(  All the animators lost their jobs.

:):):):):):):):):):)>>> "Green is the New You" -PSF <<<:):):):):):):(:):):)
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #20 on: 2020-03-06 20:16:29 »

Any movies that come out right now are going to struggle in the coming months due to Covid-19 spreading and fears amongst the populace.  A lot of movies will probably be rescheduled to release at another date and films that do release, won't perform as well as expected.  Just going to call that now.
aka "Numbers"
Master Member

This is not a personal text

WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: 2020-03-06 22:41:58 »

Yep. I know the new 007 "No Time to Die" got pushed back to November.

Smileys. Made a list of them. I had nothing better to do.
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: 2020-03-16 17:12:04 »

I wonder how many more movies will be pushed back?
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #23 on: 2020-03-16 17:29:43 »

I brought this up in another topic.  Movies that are released during the height of the virus will fail.  But can they re-release their films?  Might be a smart move if they can re-release at theaters when things calm down. 
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #24 on: 2020-03-17 15:11:35 »

Hollywood and the movie industry will suffer this year.
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #25 on: 2020-04-02 23:30:40 »

Top Gun: Maverick has delayed their release day to a later day due to the virus.

Movie IMDB
Smiles2us
Administrator

Email
« Reply #26 on: 2020-04-03 15:04:09 »

And there will be more.
Blurr
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #27 on: 2020-04-03 18:51:00 »

Oh no doubt

Water, earth, fire. Long ago, the three seasons lived together in harmony. Then everything changed, when the Shyamalan attacked.....
~~~~~~~~
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt7Z9zf_O70YIrx7UD9xyYg
Fimfiction: https://www.fimfiction.net/user/AutoKnight
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #28 on: 2020-04-03 23:25:03 »

Indeed.  Any big blockbusters... wait.. aren't theaters in some states completely closed anyways?  Why would ANY film release now?
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #29 on: 2020-04-30 16:36:06 »

Fireworks!

So what happened is Universal who distributed the film "Trolls World Tour" decided to release the film for people to buy rent at $19.99 each for one viewing.  This of course happened during the start of Coronavirus and theaters were closed.  Well... Universal made so much money of Trolls, they made more they are reporting then if they went and released it through the theaters.  They more profits (roughly 80%) if they don't have to share profits with theaters.  So upon doing so, Universal said all their future films will be released the same was as Trolls was, online and at home. 

This of course made AMC (the theater group) furious!  They make money on films and said what Universal is doing is against their terms and contract.  They didn't even talk to AMC about it.  So in short, AMC said heck with you Universal.  We are not going to show any more of your films at AMC.

And that is where we are at.

AMC Theaters And Regal Stand Against Universal’s VOD Tactic.
Pages: < 1 [2] 3 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Movies of 2020! « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024