PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: Do you have an Accent? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you have an Accent?  (Read 17768 times)
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« on: 2016-12-18 00:12:44 »

Every part of the world is different and within our own regions, we have our own dialect.  We might think we sound completely normal, but if you were to travel, would your dialect be seen as an accent? 

So the simple question is, do you have an accent?  If so, go ahead and tell us about it if you want.  Is it southern sounding, British, maybe valley girl?  Would you say your accent is thick or barely there with certain words like, "lobster."  Do you have mannerisms that are distinct to your dialect?

Lets talk about language! 
Wolfwood
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: 2016-12-18 00:14:27 »

Overall, no.  I don't have a distinct accent or way of speaking.  Though I do have a deeper voice, and I might talk slower sounding.  You know, that rural kind of the thing.  Not the fast talk of city folk.  I like the outdoors and so I guess I picked up traits.
Miggs
Master Member

You left without saying good-bye

Email
« Reply #2 on: 2016-12-18 00:17:46 »

I've been told I have a Spanish accent from a friend up in Baltimore.

SNEE
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #3 on: 2016-12-18 00:21:42 »

Latino. I'm not sure what my first language was. I learned both around the same time, but I still have a very slight accent. For a few words. Some friends say it's notable with certain words. My piano teacher says its slight, but it's there. And my mom also says she can hear it when I talk, even though I know English like the back of my hand, you can tell I was raised in a Latino household.

Claof

Email
« Reply #4 on: 2016-12-18 09:15:59 »

I've always been told I have a slight British accent. I have no idea where I picked it up. I grew up in Boulder, so  I have no idea where I could've gotten it from.
Umeko

Lunarian Empress

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: 2016-12-18 10:25:07 »

People say I do.
Born and raised in Sweden but I lived in Canada for almost four years.
And after years spent chatting with people online.
I speak canadian with a mix of american english and add my swedish accent to it.

~*~ Live each day as if it was your last, no one knows when it comes to an end, don't waste time in regretting, hating. Smile, laugh, treat people the way you want to be treated. Kindness is rare these days ~*~
Kyrl

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: 2016-12-18 19:53:52 »

I speak a muddled Brooklyneese. 
Wolfwood
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: 2017-01-06 23:58:20 »

I speak a muddled Brooklyneese.

I never would have guessed.
FoxTail
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: 2017-01-08 15:29:08 »

Lets find out.  I just asked the question, how do you say "GROCERY?"

Groh-shery or Groh-sery?" 
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #9 on: 2017-01-08 15:45:15 »

And coupon. And coffee.

Bird

Sassafrass

Email
« Reply #10 on: 2017-01-08 16:04:23 »

I have a very slight New Jersey accent -- not anything that my own ear picks up, but it's noticeable on a few words. I live by the shore, so no New York accent has trickled into my speech. However, my maternal grandparents both grew up in upstate New York, and as a result my grandmother's Rochester accent pokes its head out from time to time. Same goes for my paternal grandmother and her upper Pennsylvania pronunciations.
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #11 on: 2017-01-08 16:19:19 »

Jersey example? So you say carmel instead of caramel? And Que-Pon instead of Coo-pon?

Bird

Sassafrass

Email
« Reply #12 on: 2017-01-08 16:24:33 »

I'm actually pretty careful to pronounce "caramel" as "caramel," however my father has the habit of pronouncing it "car-mel." I definitely say "que-pon," though. It goes back and forth now that I think about it, but "que-pon" is definitely what comes out of my mouth more often than not.

I also have the ingrained habit of pronouncing Newark as "New-ERK." Whereas, further down, it's pronounced "New-ARK."
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #13 on: 2017-01-08 16:45:38 »

I say New-erk as well. New-ark sounds stupid.
I says caramel because it's correct, and I say coo-pon naturally.

I was chatting with teammates on Overwatch and some guy asked where I was from and I said America and they were like "I thought you were from Australia or New Zealand" lol.

FoxTail
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: 2017-01-08 17:24:33 »

I say Que-pon and I say CAR-mel.

I say New-ark.  I also say Norfolk as Nor-fuk.  I think that is the right way to say it too.  But then I get nervous around people and say it as Nor-fulk.
« Last Edit: 2017-01-08 17:25:54 by FoxTail » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: Do you have an Accent? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024