PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: Memorial Day 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Memorial Day  (Read 4750 times)
mysteryserpent

PSF Member

Email
« on: 2016-05-30 08:50:30 »

What does today mean for you all? I work later today :( but I am curious what are thoughts about today.

Have an awesome holiday guys :)
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #1 on: 2016-05-30 09:35:56 »

I respect and am grateful for the men and woman who served out country. And I really don't see why people host parties for it without really that in mind. I mean, my family isn't from the states, we don't have a party or really celebrate it per say. Like I said, I respect and am immensely grateful for those who put their life on the line for the country, but I really don't feel more. My family treats it like another day. They go to work, do all that jazz.

It's supposed to be a day we remember the fallen, those that died for our country. It's just a shame most people don't see it that way. Just see it as another day they can get that awesome outfit on sale, or host the neighborhood barbecue pool party. I don't know, maybe in their hearts they are celebrating what Memorial Day is supposed to be, but I get the feeling the true meaning is lost nowadays.

Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: 2016-05-30 09:38:07 »

I 100% support the men and woman who served, and the ones who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our country.

My biggest concern is if WE THE PEOPLE are actually holding up our end of the bargain.  We are changing this country so much, and not necessarily for the better.  I just hope the country these brave people fought for, is something they would still fight for, and future generations would still fight for.

I can not thank them enough for their amazing service. 
Darrin
Administrator

Email
« Reply #3 on: 2016-05-30 09:43:52 »

It is one of those important days of the year to me.  Like Veterans Day, Memorial is a day we celebrate the brave who fought for our freedoms.  The very things we do everyday are because of these brave souls who gave the ultimate sacrifices for us, their brethren.  Without their sacrifice, and the grace of God, we would be living in this country and having all the great blessing we have.

:):):):):):):):):):)>>> "Green is the New You" -PSF <<<:):):):):):):(:):):)
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: 2016-05-30 09:50:08 »

To me it is a day to celebrate the fallen and the veterans we have.  I can't imagine the terrors of war, the acts of valor, and the various things many of these brave men and women did.  From as far back the Revolutionary War, heroes long forgotten, to the Civil War, World War I and II, Vietnam War, and every other war, we have veterans.  All contributed to what we have today, and for that, I am grateful and truly thank them from the bottom of my heart.

Those still alive, I wish the best of blessings and life to them.  Those now no longer part of this life, I thank you for your service. 

I plan to go to a cemetery today and place some flags on gravestones with a group. 
« Last Edit: 2016-05-30 09:51:19 by Silverwing » Logged
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: 2016-05-30 09:55:52 »

Memorial Day has come to mean the beginning of summer, a time for picnics and barbecues, and a holiday to gather around with family. That happiness and freedom, however, is a product of the real cause for the holiday: the sacrifice made by men and women who have fought and died for the freedoms and liberties Americans hold dear. Memorial Day is a time to remember that the American way of life is not cheap, but rather has been purchased by the lives and blood of so many who have sacrificed so much for us to life free and happily. 
Soda
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: 2016-05-30 10:06:59 »

I thank those who served and of course remember the cause for the day.  They deserve this day and so much more. 
Miggs
Master Member

You left without saying good-bye

Email
« Reply #7 on: 2016-05-30 11:34:38 »

It's a day of honor and in a sense, another day of giving thanks kinda like Thanksgiving. Although instead of being thankful for, I suppose possessions, we're thankful for the people that have defended the country.

SNEE
Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: 2016-05-30 14:43:01 »

I would like the believe that if the call came, that I needed to stand up for my freedom's, my nation, friends and family, and my home, that I would be as brave as these amazing people.  I feel we should honor them the best way we can, and treat them with the highest of respect as I do.  I am thankful we have them. 

Umbreon
My cutie Spe
Community Monitor

Email
« Reply #9 on: 2016-05-30 16:02:09 »

Today is the day I give my respect to all those that have tried very hard and succeeded which I'm thankful for.

I'm Sparky I'm known as a electric rodent :)
Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: 2016-05-30 18:25:18 »

I view Memorial Day for what it is.  A day to honor those who have served.  Some gave the ultimate price, while others were able to live on as veterans.  No matter the outcome, these brave men and women should be honored for their sacrifice. 

Smiles2us
Administrator

Email
« Reply #11 on: 2016-05-31 07:42:24 »

It is more then a day off, but a day to remember the fallen heroes.  It is extremely important.
HulkbowSMASH

PSF Tourist

Email
« Reply #12 on: 2016-05-31 22:04:46 »

The original meaning probably has been lost to some degree, but things have changed.  While it originated as an informal day to pay tribute to fallen soldiers of the Civil War, WW1 was the impetus behind making it an official national holiday.  Nationalistic support continued up through WW2, but began declining in later conflicts as the public started questioning the worth and validity of US involvement in all these places everywhere.  Suppliers changed as well; corporations specializing in military equipment have obviated the past need to convert factories and such, removing the community involvement aspect.  And even enlistment has changed.  No longer are teens lying about their age for their chance to take a crack at Jerry.  Now signing up includes free college and other benefits.  Heck, no matter how unfair, the public was already having mixed feelings back during 'Nam about those who went to fight instead of being conscientious objectors or simply dodging the draft which had become necessary due to lack of patriotic teens clamoring to join.  Not to mention that many are rather jaded on the concept of recent conflicts having much of anything to do with protecting freedom.  And how is war in foreign countries doing anything when the enemy combatants pop out of the woodwork randomly right here at home?  War is a business, military is a career choice, the enemy is ambiguous, and the fight for freedom seems to be court battles rather than external invaders.

Anyway, I didn't really mean to do a whole dissertation.  But there's a lot less national unity over war stuff than there once was, which is my own guess over why there's such disparity over attitudes about things like this holiday.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: Memorial Day « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024