PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Squirrel and Hedgehog 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Squirrel and Hedgehog  (Read 19556 times)
Wolfwood
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« on: 2016-07-03 14:05:17 »

I made this topic mainly to keep record of stuff here.  The show is called "Squirrel and Hedgehog." 

I stumbled upon this.  It is a North Korean cartoon that has been running since 1977.   They are really slow at animating these because of problems in N. Korea of course.  It is anti American/Imperialism/Western culture propaganda for kids, but it is actually well animated and seems to have a very enticing story. 

----------------

Now for some basics. The American's are wolves, South Koreans are weasels it seems, and other countries in there too.  The "North Korean's" are known as Flower Hill. The American's are shown as superior in technology and military power, but the North Korean's (Flower Hill) have spirit, patriotism, and morales.  The enemy wolves and their lackies, (South Korean weasels/rats) are trying to disrupt and destroy the peaceful Flower Hill.  Designs in uniforms and technology has changed since the show first started in 77' and is currently being produced in modern times.  The original and old shows is known as the "first series" then when the show was brought up again in the 2000s, it was called the "second series."  The new series employs CGI and improved graphics and more modern army stuff.  Please note some of my info below may be wrong since I don't actually understand Korean.

This is Squirrel and Hedgehog.  They are the top dogs it seems at Flower Hill.  They are portrayed as kind, strong, and caring.  Very brave.  Hedgehog seems to be higher ranked.  Officer Hedgehog and the squirrels name on the right seems to be a main star with a brother who looks similar.  The Squirrels name is Geumsaegi.

So here is the main guy in the second series and first series.   Geumsaegi is a squirrel from Flower Hill.  He is heroic and brave as he works to take down the enemy weasels (South Korea) and the Imperial wolves (America).  He has a brother named Bamsaegi, who looks similar.

He seems to be an agent and work for whoever pays him I guess?  His name is Moolmangcho, and he appears in the first and second series and is the most persistent enemy.  In the second series, he has a vendetta against Geumsaegi and tries to take him down when he works with both the weasels and wolves.

I'm not sure his name, but he is the leader of the Weasel Army.  They represent South Korean ideals and are shown as technologically advanced with their technology coming from their superior tech sector and the Wolf Army (America). 

Weasel Army troops are shown wearing modern South Korean military armor.

Captain Wolf, or Captain Keoteo, is the Wolf Army leader.  He represents America with his troops.  He is shown as very smart, cunning, and a worthy opponent to the Flower Hill troops. 
Oddly, the show's creators decided to make his troops have uniforms similar to 1950s American soldiers during the Korean War.  But their military is shown to be superior and advanced in every way.  He is the newest antagonist in the series.

The assistant weasel to Captain Wolf is smart as well.  I am not quite sure all about him, as he takes orders from Captain Wolf.  I think he is "South Korean" and represents the US interests in South Korea, aka them taking commands from the US.  I could be wrong, but he does seem to have power too.  He is seen commanding Weasel Army soldiers as well and Wolf Army soldiers.  He does not outrank the Weasel Army leader and doesn't seem to work with him.

Lt. Vixen is Captain Wolf's right hand aid.  She is shown as smart, cunning, and wise as well.  She is seen going to numerous events in the series and taking charge of situations.  She has rank over Wolf Army soldiers and she represents America as well.  She tests Geumsaegi and Moolmangcho on many occasions in very smart ways.

Wolf Army soldiers who represent America are shown in 1950's American army gear.  They are shown to be extremely well trained and have advanced armor and technology.  They are also shown to be humorous when need be.

------------

I am posting this because I am in shock I found this.  I don't agree with it, but it is crazy to find something from a hermit nation online!  Maybe someone will be shocked at this too, and enjoy the animation.  The newer episodes, 30 and on, seem to really be intense, and so far what I've watched.  It is subtitled on those eps.  Some helpful links below and feel free to discuss.  I don't expect this topic to be used much, but thats okay.  I plan to watch it to get in the minds of what they are trying to teach people over in N K. 

Youtube Channel

TV Tropes Info

Show Information

Facebook
« Last Edit: 2016-07-03 15:13:59 by Wolfwood » Logged
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: 2016-07-03 18:06:47 »

North Korea?  Is this what they show their kids?  Shows of cute fluffy animals killing each others and swearing?  My word!  I kind of like the idea though (not making us the bad guys...) but the general idea of a military show aimed for audiences older then kids.  They even show blood and people getting killed in this series.  Wow.

Seems American cartoons are very protected compared to the rest of the world, which is not a bad thing, just saying.

What I find really cool here is the unique style North Korea has here though.  They didn't go the anime route when they started this.  They truly have their unique style in character drawing and animation.  I would say it is somewhat based on American anthropomorphic characters as well as a hint of early Japanese animation.  The more modern style clearly is more American, just based on eyes and new character designs.  I know they wouldn't admit that, but it is neat to see their identity in their animation. 

EDIT: As well, I must thank you for your research you've done.  You even took screen caps to show characters to us.  Thanks.  That is the most involved I've seen you here.
« Last Edit: 2016-07-03 18:16:48 by MasterXtreme » Logged
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #2 on: 2016-07-03 19:18:48 »

Oh Jesus, monster post *faints*
You did a lot of research man, that's cool. I'm reading through it. I'll have to ask my Korean friend if she's heard of this show lol.

Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: 2016-07-03 22:09:07 »

North Korea?  Not our ally South Korea?  Wow!  This is pretty interesting.  I will go through this all now, and I might watch it.  It'd be nice if it was in English, but you seemed to have make sense of a lot of it anyways. 

Darrin
Administrator

Email
« Reply #4 on: 2016-07-04 11:54:26 »

Wolfwood becoming a North Korean defector?  I better call my pals at the White House.

Thanks, Wolf.  I'm happy to see you took time to make something that interests you for us to see.  It does look interesting, and actually, all the designs are pretty good except the main stars from Flower Hill which look very bland.  I know they are based off the original designs and would probably look diff if designed today. 

:):):):):):):):):):)>>> "Green is the New You" -PSF <<<:):):):):):):(:):):)
Wolfwood
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: 2016-07-06 01:43:21 »

I guess I should say, the weasels could be Japanese too. 
RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: 2016-07-17 11:01:15 »

I sort of like the character designs of like the weasel, wolves, foxes.  They look pretty cool. 
mysteryserpent

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: 2016-07-23 11:33:19 »

War and animals. Somehow it works well :) The animation style looks different but fascinating to me. The ears of the animals each have differences and I've seen that lady character before. She's a beautiful, twisted, evil lady XD
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: 2018-12-01 14:36:18 »

It's been two years... I wonder if this show is still being produced?
aka "Numbers"
Master Member

This is not a personal text

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: 2018-12-01 14:52:28 »

Apparently, no episodes have been made since 2012.

Smileys. Made a list of them. I had nothing better to do.
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: 2018-12-02 13:56:29 »

That's sad.  Come on NK.  Start doing something good like make your silly cartoon. ;)
Wolfwood
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: 2020-01-15 21:48:57 »

None of the images work anymore!  Stupid, Photobucket! :P
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Squirrel and Hedgehog « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024