PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: Do you have an Accent? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you have an Accent?  (Read 17840 times)
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #90 on: 2023-09-24 00:06:54 »

^ That's interesting.  Never thought about that.  If American media can effect the accent of people around the world.

Like we have UK tv shows, but we don't consume them as much and so it does not effect our voices.  But it does give us the ability to learn to speak with a British sound for fun.
Nemesis Prime

Sneezing In disguise

WWW Email
« Reply #91 on: 2023-09-26 11:30:06 »

I honestly have no idea, probably thou since well i am from Finland, but i do speak english quite a lot too, just nobody has ever said anythig about the accent before, so i dont know and i dont usually use voice chat with people i dont know well, i'm very shy to use my voice, i could say i'm almost half mute. I can go days without saying a word, but i do usually try to answer vocally if someone else is talking directly to me, i dont want to be rude, but at same time i hate my voice ;w;

PM me for want free art! Everybody is welcome to request~

If you want to learn more about "my" Nemesis Prime as RP character click
Sniffles

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #92 on: 2023-09-26 12:10:30 »

And what are we basing the "accents" on?  Is someone with no accent just generic English from America?  Lol!  I know it is, but yeah, it's kinda funny.  Even England English knows they have an accent and don't consider their English as non-accented English.

I think non-accent English is common from the American west.
kiku

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #93 on: 2023-09-26 12:53:51 »

I wonder if there is a non-accent way of speaking at all.
In any country of the world, people live in different regions which has its own way of pronouncing words, and different words and expressions for things.
When I speak English I try to sound British because I like the sound and it feels more familiar to me than American English - but I know I can never get rid of my German accent completely.  ;D
In German I speak "standard language" without any dialect, but I'm sure people can still tell what part of the country I'm from, just by listening to the "melody" and the way I pronounce certain words...

Avatar: Idea and drawing by Nemesis Prime
NostradamusTheSeer
Prolific Member

Skillfully controls the flow of Miss Information

WWW Email
« Reply #94 on: 2023-09-26 17:46:32 »

I don't think I do, but, like Wolfwood, I have a deep voice and an overall measured, rural tone of speech.  One of my exes told me once that her dad thought I "sounded black" on the phone. Not quite sure what he meant by that, but my neutral way of speaking, I think, allows me to easily adopt most any accent, including several African-American characters  I do.  However, in this post-George Floyd era that may not be wholly a good thing.    :-\

RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #95 on: 2023-09-27 00:09:55 »

Now this conversation is starting to become interesting.  In any language, is there truly a neutral dialect?  I think not. Because everyone has their own mannerisms.  They might overall be fairly neutral, but we may put our own emphasis on certain parts of words.
Graymist

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #96 on: 2023-09-27 02:10:46 »

I'm from a part of the US where people don't associate us having accents.  So with that in mind, I don't think I have an accent.  But I do probably say some words uniquely different because of things I've picked up over the years.

Interesting discussion here.
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #97 on: 2023-09-27 02:14:14 »

And what are we basing the "accents" on?  Is someone with no accent just generic English from America?  Lol!  I know it is, but yeah, it's kinda funny.  Even England English knows they have an accent and don't consider their English as non-accented English.

I think non-accent English is common from the American west.

So I do think overall this question is being asked from an American English perspective.  Let's face it, the USA is the largest source of media for the world, especially the western world.  It's influence is a juggernaut. 

But as we can see here, even US resident's from all of the country, aren't sure if they have accents or not.  Someone from southwestern US will certainly think they have no accent because how they speak is normal to them.  Someone from the northeast may think the same way.  It's all relative.
NostradamusTheSeer
Prolific Member

WWW Email
« Reply #98 on: 2023-09-27 08:50:40 »

Add to it health conditions that can affect the rhythm of a person's speech, like severe hearing impairment or autism, and, combined with regional differences, it becomes even more interesting.
« Last Edit: 2023-09-27 08:50:59 by NostradamusTheSeer » Logged

Nemesis Prime

Sneezing In disguise

WWW Email
« Reply #99 on: 2023-09-27 10:13:06 »

I do wonder how much that might affect my speech, i do think i speak normally, but i do have troubled hearing and autism, thou usually i just might speak way too loud, but i've tried to learn to keep my voice down, doesnt work when i get super excited thou. Would be great to find out if it hightens my accent or not XD

PM me for want free art! Everybody is welcome to request~

If you want to learn more about "my" Nemesis Prime as RP character click
Soda
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #100 on: 2023-09-29 11:53:40 »

When I laugh I can get louder, lol!  But I don't have any of the conditions listed above.  When people get excited, it is natural for them to get louder.
NostradamusTheSeer
Prolific Member

WWW Email
« Reply #101 on: 2023-09-29 16:36:26 »

And profane, if famed NASCAR driver Ward Burton is any indication.
This bit is a favorite of the Big Show crew; they play a [judiciously-edited] version of it on-air from time to time.  Burton has a pronounced South Boston [as in Virginia] accent, which sounds a lot like that hick wolf from the old Tex Avery cartoons.
In fact, veteran voice actor Daws Butler amazed producers by rattling off about a dozen distinctly different Southern dialects, and that's the one they liked the most. Funny, whenever I do that in conversation, it usually creeps people out....     :-0  :-] 

So, Soda, do you start getting that "bitch pitch" when you get real riled up? A really angry gal will split your [bleep] eardrums, ah tell you whut....
« Last Edit: 2023-09-29 17:05:37 by NostradamusTheSeer » Logged

MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #102 on: 2023-09-29 23:39:22 »

And profane, if famed NASCAR driver Ward Burton is any indication.

Ward Burton is a gem of a person.  Underrated NASCAR driver back in his day, but also does so much for sustainable and environmental causes.  He hunts, he loves hunting, but he has a foundation to help people to do things sustainably and not just for killing for the sake of killing.  He is a great outdoorsman who wants to protect the land we live on.  Very kind man too.
« Last Edit: 2023-09-29 23:39:35 by MasterXtreme » Logged
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: Do you have an Accent? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024