PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: My Little Pony: The Movie 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Little Pony: The Movie  (Read 18836 times)
Soda
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #60 on: 2017-10-09 21:10:11 »

I wonder if Darrin does this on purpose sometimes?  ;) 
mysteryserpent

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #61 on: 2017-10-09 21:52:34 »

I saw two movies over the weekend in theaters to kind of reward myself for getting through the first wave of college tests. I saw the this movie and I saw a movie that had a very limited release time called No Game No Life Zero. It was the first anime movie I've ever seen in a theater. I don't know how many theaters it was shown in but where I live it only seems to be shown just a few days XD The movie honestly surprised me in a good way. I wasn't expecting so many varying feels, both sad touching moments and odd humorous moments :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raag8InWBVY is the trailer.

As for the MLP movie, unless someone wishes me to say spoilers in my thoughts later, I'll just say what is on my mind about it as a whole and share some links.

1st, the movie I thought was above average =) To me it wasn't anything above and beyond, but it was enjoyable and I was entertained. This shouldn't be a spoiler by now XD but once again the main princess characters, Luna and Celestia, were...kind of useless to be frank.
My favorite character out of the main cast that wasn't a new character was by far Fluttershy. She didn't talk much, but the actions she had I really enjoyed (that gif someone showed here earlier is a great scene and she had a few more scenes that honestly made me laugh out loud :D )
Out of the new characters, I was surprised how much I disliked a few of them that I thought I would have enjoyed, while those I thought I would hate I grew to love XD

Tempest, the pony with the broken horn, appears very early in the movie and it is no spoiler that she is the one that shows power and distain for Equestria's use for magic. When I saw the trailer I thought I would hate her, but by the end of the movie she was my personal favorite out of everyone. The song she sings to someone is awesome. I don't know who the singing voice for Tempest is, but I like the tone of voice and how it changes throughout the song. Here is a link to the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W599nooue4Y

The character I thought I was going to love was the sea ponies. To be honest, there are two background sea ponies that I adore their designs, but as for the sea ponies as characters and their voice actresses they really bugged me for some reason. I know some people will enjoy them, but I just didn't like them personally. I also did not like the pirate characters but to a lesser extent. They just...felt like they were shoved in as an afterthought. Their voices and designs were nice, but I just felt they were unnecessary.

Best line of the entire movie for me is by a character I thought I'd also dislike but I grew to love his character XD. The odd choice for species aside, the feline Capper is one of the characters that made the entire movie more entertaining for me personally =) He sings a song with catchy music that includes this line at the very beginning.

"You know what? Little cotton candy hair is right." -A great way to describe Pinkie in a nutshell.

The villain characters besides Tempest were...underwhelming, especially compared to the villains of the series. I wasn't expecting the Storm King to be how he was in the movie. I'll just leave it at that. I got exactly what I expected with the sidekick villain for Tempest, her underling. I didn't like him either personally XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTx7OyIZRFg

Besides characters and songs, here are some of the things I liked and disliked about the movie.

Positive: the backgrounds and the mixtures of different styles of animation. It definitely is odd to take in at first, but it is cool to see what really happens and about halfway through the movie I got use to the changes of animation.

Negative: The pacing is either predictable or odd. Sometimes things move fast and other times things went clunky for me. It may just be me though XD

Positive: Besides those two songs I showed links for, overall the songs were surprisingly very enjoyable. I didn't cringe nearly as much as I expected to. One of my favorite scenes in the movie is when Twilight recognizes when a song is about to happen and she tries to stop the song from happening...not gonna happen Twi. XD

Negative: Predictable ending. Actually, predictable movie in general to me personally. Not a whole lot surprised me. There were some genuine surprises that I could mention if someone wanted me to say them, but for the most part this movie went exactly like I thought it would go.

Positive: SO MANY UNIQUE FACES! The range of emotions that happened in this movie were stunning. Not just eyes and mouths, but their muzzles, ears, even the nostrils themselves sometimes were shown in either a flaring or a different angle that made the nostrils larger than usual. There is one scene in particular that I loved. The first entrance to a very hot place. You'll know what I'm talking about when the scene begins. The expressions and just how each face looks in general is amazing to me =)

Positive: yeah two positives in a row. There was more good things than bad about this movie =) Anyway, how the movie shows that optimism can be a bad thing sometimes and not be too careless or too careful. Pinkie should've died because of this, and even if this wasn't super highlighted in the movie, I was surprised to see that the movie did mention this even more than once XD

Positive: What you think is the only option left for a best case scenario is never the case. Ever. The movie shows this in a very effective way. Sometimes what you think is the right thing to do is in fact the wrong thing.

Positive: How stress can impact friendship is shown in this movie. Sometimes people do or say something they normally would never say or do just because of stress or expectations.

Overall I enjoyed this movie, but I liked the anime movie I saw more. It may just be my personal views though.

I give the MLP movie an 7.5 out of 10.

I think this comment is long enough *faints*

Has anyone else seen the movie yet and wants to say something about it?
FoxTail
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #62 on: 2017-10-09 21:56:57 »

^ I thought that was a wonderfully thoughtful review that didn't really give any spoilers.  Thank you so much for your honest thoughts on that, @mysteryserpent .
« Last Edit: 2017-10-09 21:57:08 by FoxTail » Logged
mysteryserpent

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #63 on: 2017-10-09 22:08:43 »

Thank you so much Foxtail! I'm glad someone read what I said ^^
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #64 on: 2017-10-09 22:37:03 »

I also really enjoyed your review there, @mysteryserpent. I think it was a fair analysis or what you liked and disliked.  I am glad the crazy of the fandom didn't blind you to faults.

I do wish the movie was getting more money and attention, but given it's limited release, I guess this is what we can expect.  I enjoyed your review.  Thank you.
Blurr
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #65 on: 2017-10-11 00:45:38 »

@Blurr001 , you saw the movie, what did you think?

loved it

Water, earth, fire. Long ago, the three seasons lived together in harmony. Then everything changed, when the Shyamalan attacked.....
~~~~~~~~
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt7Z9zf_O70YIrx7UD9xyYg
Fimfiction: https://www.fimfiction.net/user/AutoKnight
Umbreon
My cutie Spe
Community Monitor

Email
« Reply #66 on: 2017-10-11 09:07:40 »

I haven't seen this movie yet.

I'm Sparky I'm known as a electric rodent :)
Smiles2us
Administrator

Email
« Reply #67 on: 2017-10-11 13:33:21 »

*Shakes head.*

Darrin....
Smiles2us
Administrator

Email
« Reply #68 on: 2017-10-11 13:33:43 »

@Blurr001 , you saw the movie, what did you think?

loved it

Well.... how about more then that? ;D
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #69 on: 2017-10-22 20:17:54 »

Anyone else seen it?
RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #70 on: 2017-10-24 17:30:14 »

MLP Doing Great, Possible Second Movie!

Yesterday, Hasbro held it's annual 3rd quarter investor relations conference call. With the movie releasing, Toys R' Us filing bankruptcy, and HASCON happening all in this specific time frame, they had quite a bit of important stuff to talk about.  Here it is broken down.

Franchise brands increased 7%, with pony being one of the big ones.

The movie was successful at re-energizing and inviting new fans from their standpoint.

They are banking on making good money from sales of the blu-ray and DVD

The movie is just shy of $40 million. ( It was $35 million last we reported).

They didn't go into detail on the budget of the movie, but did mention multiple times that it was modest. The movie will absolutely pay back it's investment!

They are seeing it driving games, general toys, and more.

More pony games possibly on the way. They didn't go into detail on what those will be (More mobile most likely)

They will be using what they learned from the My Little Pony model in other brands since it was so successful.

Pony is a strong performer on Netflix.

Still plans to continue releasing the movie internationally.

The interesting bit came here when they said, "The model for My Little Pony has really worked, and I think the team is beginning to think about what a next movie will look like."

Whether that is another theater release, or a straight to DVD deal, we might be seeing another My Little Pony movie on the horizon.
Darrin
Administrator

Email
« Reply #71 on: 2017-10-25 11:08:01 »

That is a stretch but all good news for the land of pony. Seems confirmed we have a season 8.  Funny how we more sure of a season 8 thrn previous seasons even though 8 has not been announced.

:):):):):):):):):):)>>> "Green is the New You" -PSF <<<:):):):):):):(:):):)
FoxTail
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #72 on: 2017-10-25 12:51:59 »

Glad Hasbro is happy with their money outcome. Must have been a cheap movie to produce! Hope they reveal how much it cost to make.
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #73 on: 2017-11-13 16:47:31 »

Lionsgate has dropped the official release date for the physical and digital copies of the My Little Pony Movie. It looks like we will be be getting it much earlier online, with a delayed release for the in-stores physical version.

Expect downloads to go active on December 19th, and in-stores release on the 9th of January.

You can already pre-order it over on Amazon in digital format.
« Last Edit: 2017-11-13 16:47:38 by Silverwing » Logged
Smiles2us
Administrator

Email
« Reply #74 on: 2017-11-14 12:12:54 »

Companies are going to video a lot quicker then they used too.
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: My Little Pony: The Movie « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024