PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: US News & Politics 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 178 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: US News & Politics  (Read 542663 times)
yasl
Lead Tech

Email
« Reply #870 on: 2016-11-08 05:33:38 »

So, I noticed Silverwing observing that no Blue Tribesmen are posting on this thread.  In truth I'm Gray Tribe, but maybe I'll do?

I have a few questions, prompted by the last couple of pages of discussion:

1. Why is it surprising, or unfair, that political tides in cities dominate those in rural areas, in states where cities account for the majority of the population?

1a. I think the most reasonable way to elect the POTUS would be an instant-runoff vote conducted as a single national electorate.  Under such a system, sparsely-populated states would lose the additional leverage they gain from their guaranteed 2 Senate seats, slightly tipping the balance further towards urban centers.  Would that be even more unfair?  What would be a better means of voting than IRV for election to a single seat?

2. Republicans are receiving praise here, very probably deserved, for policies that favor businesses and economic growth.  These have mostly been policies from the Neoliberal spectrum (not to be confused with "liberal") that lean towards privatization, lower or flatter taxes, free trade, liquid labor (both between firms and between countries) and small government.  Trump, a Populist, is essentially an anti-Neoliberal, loudly supporting trade restrictions and migration barriers, with mixed messages on taxes and no consistent commitment to small government.  It is very true that free trade and looser immigration has had an outsized impact on workers in and adjacent to the manufacturing industries (though little-to-no impact on the owners or the output of those industries).  The backlash is understandable and legitimate.  But rolling back these policies will make the GOP a less business-friendly party and its economic credentials are likely to suffer.
My question is: what reconciles the view (even if mostly just joking) of Republicans as the party that yields pretty, shiny cities, with support for Trump: a candidate who rallies against most of the parts of the GOP platform that give them that reputation in the first place?
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #871 on: 2016-11-08 10:08:11 »

Good morning everyone.  Today is election day, and RainySunshine and I agreed to be your political dream team as we go through the day.  We will provide updates and news when it comes in.  So let's hope for a good, safe, election day, then a smooth transition into power.  Have a great day, and if you haven't already, GO VOTE! 
« Last Edit: 2016-11-08 10:08:24 by MasterXtreme » Logged
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #872 on: 2016-11-08 10:18:12 »

As we go into today's election, the very latest poll from IBD/TIPP shows Trump with a two point bump over Hillary.  Now that I have said that, don't trust polls.  So far no states have closed polling, so we will wait around for that unless we have definitive information.

As of now, predictions show that the Senate will be a tie between Republicans and Democrats, though it is more possible it will go left.  The House is expected to stay Republican, but there are 20 toss ups. 
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #873 on: 2016-11-08 10:19:13 »

Today's the day. Can't wait for your updates.
Gonna have an election party with my club.

Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #874 on: 2016-11-08 10:20:58 »

Rainy and MasterX, probably two of the more level headed people. ;)  Always like them. 
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #875 on: 2016-11-08 10:26:10 »

So, I noticed Silverwing observing that no Blue Tribesmen are posting on this thread.  In truth I'm Gray Tribe, but maybe I'll do?

I have a few questions, prompted by the last couple of pages of discussion:

1. Why is it surprising, or unfair, that political tides in cities dominate those in rural areas, in states where cities account for the majority of the population?

1a. I think the most reasonable way to elect the POTUS would be an instant-runoff vote conducted as a single national electorate.  Under such a system, sparsely-populated states would lose the additional leverage they gain from their guaranteed 2 Senate seats, slightly tipping the balance further towards urban centers.  Would that be even more unfair?  What would be a better means of voting than IRV for election to a single seat?

2. Republicans are receiving praise here, very probably deserved, for policies that favor businesses and economic growth.  These have mostly been policies from the Neoliberal spectrum (not to be confused with "liberal") that lean towards privatization, lower or flatter taxes, free trade, liquid labor (both between firms and between countries) and small government.  Trump, a Populist, is essentially an anti-Neoliberal, loudly supporting trade restrictions and migration barriers, with mixed messages on taxes and no consistent commitment to small government.  It is very true that free trade and looser immigration has had an outsized impact on workers in and adjacent to the manufacturing industries (though little-to-no impact on the owners or the output of those industries).  The backlash is understandable and legitimate.  But rolling back these policies will make the GOP a less business-friendly party and its economic credentials are likely to suffer.
My question is: what reconciles the view (even if mostly just joking) of Republicans as the party that yields pretty, shiny cities, with support for Trump: a candidate who rallies against most of the parts of the GOP platform that give them that reputation in the first place?

1. It isn't unfair or surprising. whoever has more votes win.  It can be seen as unfair to the rural areas, and I understand that.  Too bad there isn't a better way to represent them.

1a. I don't have an answer for that.  You actually provided an idea, so thats good.

2. Trump is against the Democrats and most of what the Republicans stand for, you are right.  He is pro-America's future, or so he says.  The old way of doing government is over if he wins.  Spending tons of money to get stuff done, padded safety in government.... If Trump wins, he will truly shake this up and attempt change America for the future.  Our democracy would change and shift and hopefully better prepare it for the 21st century.  Spending tons of money on programs and going to wars all over the world would probably shift.  Trump wants to improve America's transportation system, which is actually something the Democrats have always wanted to do by raising taxes.  Problem is, they don't spend that tax money on anything they say they will spend it on.  So a Trump win is pretty much a big middle finger the "the establishment."  The established Democrats and Republicans and our old government.
RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #876 on: 2016-11-08 12:32:43 »

Hello everyone, we got our first bit of news to report today.  As mentioned by MasterX, we are going to be your leads in the election today.

Reports of Republican votes being changes to Hillary votes is now a reported issue in Pennsylvania.  Pennsylvania is a very important toss up state that could go either way right now for Clinton or Trump.  Early polling suggests that Trump may pull off a victory in Pennsylvania, but now with reported voter fraud, this may lean in Hillary's favor. 
RainySunshine
SCM Member

WWW Email
« Reply #877 on: 2016-11-08 12:36:23 »

Another report just now coming in, but Trump is currently leading in New Hampshire.  This state was a small toss up state that could be important in the long run for extra electoral votes is the race comes down to the wire.  42 million people have already done early voting.

Source
Wolfwood
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #878 on: 2016-11-08 12:41:39 »

Vote cast.  I made sure it was counted correctly. :) 
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #879 on: 2016-11-08 12:48:13 »

Very good, Wolf. :)

* Florida's Latino turnout has accelerated. The number of Latinos who voted in person through Saturday (Early voting) was up fully 100 percent from 2012. It appears likely that more Latinos in Florida will have voted early in 2016 than they voted overall in 2012.  Latino's lumps in Florida's Cuban voters, but historically, Cuban voters vote Republican, while non-Cuban Latino's vote Democrat.

* Early voting in Florida's most liberal counties also show accelerated vote by Republican's turning out in record numbers.  Early numbers so far show more Republican's voting then ever in early voting in Florida.

* Florida is still a toss up we will closing be watching.  Their polls will close in several hours.
« Last Edit: 2016-11-08 13:32:38 by MasterXtreme » Logged
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #880 on: 2016-11-08 13:09:40 »

Scary. Just finished my ballot. Scanning it and sending it. Hope it counts.

MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #881 on: 2016-11-08 13:28:37 »

HILLARY is now winning in Pennsylvania.  A state that could go either way.

TRUMP is now leading in Arizona, Georgia, Iowa, North Carolina, and Ohio.  All very important, but we still have evening voters to wait for. 

Colorado, Florida, Michigan, and Nevada are complete toss ups.  Hillary is leading slightly in most.

Out further west, Hillary is winning Washington, Oregon, and California. 

The first official poll closing will happen on the east coast first, in less then an hour and a half.
« Last Edit: 2016-11-08 13:31:09 by MasterXtreme » Logged
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #882 on: 2016-11-08 14:59:53 »

Wait, that's not right.
East cost polls close at 8pm. It's only 6pm now, about 5ish when you posted.

RainySunshine
SCM Member

WWW Email
« Reply #883 on: 2016-11-08 15:08:59 »

Polls close at different times in different places.  Our first poll data will be coming in soon.

Reports of voter turnout in Conservative Florida's panhandle is extremely low.  This could hand over victory to Hillary in Florida.  At the same time, it is neck and neck currently in Florida and too close to call.

This race will likely be decided by evening voters, those who vote late at night after work.  This has historically been when the Republican push comes. 
« Last Edit: 2016-11-08 15:09:34 by RainySunshine » Logged
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #884 on: 2016-11-08 15:15:50 »

Let's get sauces in here too, guys.

Pages: < 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 178 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: US News & Politics « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024