PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Lackadaisy Discussion Topic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lackadaisy Discussion Topic  (Read 2386 times)
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« on: 2023-04-04 20:03:11 »

Lackadaisy

Lackadaisy has been a comic and now has an official pilot made by a group of independent animators and actors.  Going to great extremes to create a fantastic time-period piece cartoon with such character, prowess, and flare. To a high degree they have accomplished their duties!  You can support the series and hope it get's picked up, because it is like nothing seen so far.  They keep adult themes, action, but without a need for swearing, crassness, or low-brow hell-scapes seen in other independent projects. I think you will appreciate the visual flare, voice acting, music, and action scenes which are second to none. 

https://lackadaisy.com
https://www.patreon.com/lackadaisy
Merch

The Synopsis: It's 1927 and Prohibition is the law of the land. For Rocky, Freckle and Ivy, the night shifts are never dull.

About: Lackadaisy, based on a comic series by Tracy J. Butler, was directed by Fable Siegel, produced by Iron Circus Animation, and made by a crew of more than 160 skilled artists across the world. The project was funded by Kickstarter backers, aided by Patreon supporters, and fueled by fan viewership and enthusiasm during the course of its production. Thank you so much for watching, and for your support!

« Last Edit: 2023-04-04 20:05:13 by MasterXtreme » Logged
Bumble

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: 2023-04-05 18:01:36 »

I don't want to compare it to other independent animations that have released in the past few years, but this is so much better than that other big named one that came out about the underworld. SO MUCH BETTER.  The first act was great, but the second act at the bar was pretty slow and off-pace from what we saw to begin with.  The pacing from that second act killed it a bit.  Bit when they did action they did it.  Seems we have two male characters who go nuts for some reason.  One with guns, the other with dynamite.  Would like to know why that is. The villains were great and the animation, while rough with the sketch marks, was fluid and terrific.

I think the strongest parts in terms of style and animation were the various angles they used and that beginning sections with the poem sung on the train bridge, the art deco, flowers, wind, etc.  Stylistically creative.  I love the setting and time period.

Reminds me a bit of "Cat's Don't Dance."
« Last Edit: 2023-04-05 18:01:59 by Bumble » Logged
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: 2023-04-05 18:07:04 »

This is artistry.  Talent and vision.  It was absolutely wonderful and I can see you agree.
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: 2023-04-05 18:20:01 »

It is an artistic piece!  It's classy and I would say a masterpiece!  What a great adaption that beautifully throws the average viewer who has never read the comic series into the fray.  The comic started way back in 2006 and is a joy to read.  This pilot really captures that. To see the characters come alive and with voices, mannerisms, and more, it's stunning.  It's certainly the classiest of the pilots that have appeared on Youtube, and I would probably say my absolute favorite.  I could see this being picked up as movie more than I can see it being a series (but I would love a high quality series).

The innovation isn't happening on networks or streaming services.  It's happening from independents like the Lackadaisy crew.  Also kudos to the creator who doesn't feel they have to have their name PLASTERED on everything, though they definitely deserve praise for this.  So does the director and all the animators, musicians, actors, and all involved.  Fantastic!  I have watched it three times since it was released and keep finding new things to examine. 
Soda
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: 2023-04-05 18:59:20 »

Is it one of the greatest animated pilots on YouTube?  No. It is the greatest animated pilot on Youtube.
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: 2023-04-06 19:43:56 »

The reviews online, media outlets, and on Youtube, have all been praising Lackadaisy, as they should.
Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: 2023-04-07 18:03:16 »

I really like the character designs too and how expressive they all are.  I love Pepper's voice.

RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: 2023-04-11 19:38:39 »

I still haven't watched it, but I can't wait too! I see lots of high praise for it.
mysteryserpent

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: 2023-04-12 16:19:00 »

For me, it is the background of this that fascinates me so much.

ANY online artwork, no matter when it was made, has the possibility to become animated on youtube.

The biggest difference between the artwork animations on youtube that are daily small posts and this artwork-turned-animation is the communication and teamwork behind the scenes.

Lackadaisy was basically a few panel comic at the start, similar to some sneeze comics that are posted here on PSF.

The passion the creator of Lackadaisy put into that few panel comic did not stop. They got together with friends, made connections with different people, and worked together to create a full episode length animation.

Just a few seconds of animation takes AGES to make (at least, animation that has nice look to it. )
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: 2023-04-12 17:28:13 »

^ All great points!  It's very true.
flemishcap

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: 2023-04-14 20:17:30 »

I finally got to watch this and it was SOOOOOOO good!  I really liked it.  I read that the second act was slower, and I have to agree.  But I think it was better in my second watch.  It really set up the location of the speakeasy they run behind their "front" business of being a simple cafe.  I cannot praise the animation enough.  It was beautiful and the character designs were all so distinct and different.  They managed to make the transition from the beautiful comic, to the tv screen in an amazing way.  The character is all there.
Blurr
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: 2023-04-15 10:22:07 »

I didn't know this was based off a comic. I was drawn to it because I know someone who worked on it and they posted it in the discord server we share. I honestly had a good time with it. Hoping there's more to come in the future.

Water, earth, fire. Long ago, the three seasons lived together in harmony. Then everything changed, when the Shyamalan attacked.....
~~~~~~~~
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt7Z9zf_O70YIrx7UD9xyYg
Fimfiction: https://www.fimfiction.net/user/AutoKnight
Wolfwood
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: 2023-04-15 13:08:39 »

The comic has been around for a very long time.  I remember seeing ads for it when it was on Tumblr and then Webtoons.
Sniffles

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: 2023-04-16 21:02:04 »

I still haven't watched it, but I see it pretty much every day in my recommended.  I will when I have time!
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: 2023-04-18 18:15:01 »

I still haven't watched it, but I see it pretty much every day in my recommended.  I will when I have time!

Well worth you time. :) 
Pages: [1] 2 3 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Lackadaisy Discussion Topic « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024