PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Should Movies and Shows get Darker Follow Ups? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should Movies and Shows get Darker Follow Ups?  (Read 1841 times)
DEEcat98

PSF Member

Email
« on: 2022-08-04 08:10:37 »

Do any of you think movies should get darker sequels and shows should later become darker so that they could focus more on character development, world building, resolving and answering questions, character expansion, and backstories?

There are some out there who did it, but I’m wondering if any of you think that majority of the movie franchises and shows should later become darker?
Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: 2022-08-04 13:47:53 »

You've been asking a lot of very similar questions the past few weeks.  I'm not sure if you just had some grand eye-opening moment or not, lol. 

If a show warrants darker content then sure.  If not, then no. 

And to answer the specific question you asked, "if the majority should be darker" I say no.  Most content already isn't dark content.

DEEcat98

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: 2022-08-04 16:25:30 »

The main reason why I have been asking these similar questions is because of how there are movies and shows who don’t resolve characters’ story or don’t answer questions.

I mean, doesn’t every movie and show need resolving and/or answers?

Most movie and shows that have later done lore are usually the ones to resolve characters’ stories and answer questions by showing what happens.
« Last Edit: 2022-08-04 16:26:47 by DEEcat98 » Logged
TheBeesSneeze

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: 2022-08-04 22:25:44 »

Seems these are just ongoing, revolving questions that morph into whatever you think of next.  I'd probably just make a single topic so you can ask all your questions.
DEEcat98

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: 2022-08-07 21:10:35 »

Well don’t any of you think a movie or show should get a continuation just to focus on lore?
Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: 2022-08-07 21:28:33 »

Not really.  At least not off the top of my head. 

I am sure there are some out there, but I couldn't think of anything right now.  You can't just force lore into something that didn't have it.

DEEcat98

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: 2022-08-09 08:34:45 »

But do you think movie franchises and shows should later focus on lore if they are hinting character development by showing the characters' mistreated, misunderstood, and sympathy sides and/or hinting world building by showing the main characters entering a different location yet not much of behind it gets explained?
« Last Edit: 2022-08-09 09:26:44 by DEEcat98 » Logged
Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: 2022-08-09 13:55:11 »

I can't keep answering the same same answer any differently. lol.

No.

DEEcat98

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: 2022-08-09 14:06:00 »

I’ve been asking these similar questions because is anyone aware that sometimes movies and shows should answer every question and resolve every character’s story before ending for good?
« Last Edit: 2022-08-09 14:06:18 by DEEcat98 » Logged
Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: 2022-08-09 14:09:15 »

I would love that, but sometimes it can't be done naturally or without being forced.  Sometimes shows just get cancelled unexpectedly and they can't carry on.  It's all variable.

NostradamusTheSeer
Prolific Member

Skillfully controls the flow of Miss Information

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: 2022-08-09 15:43:45 »

Isn't this new "grim and gritty" rage what's getting the DCAU in trouble?  And who ever thought they'd see such a thing with Archie, perhaps the most family-friendly of all comic-book series?  :o

Although I must admit I've been kicking around an idea for a joke about a darker, edgier version of Inspector Gadget.   [a la Don Adams] "Oh, come, now, doctor.  That's silly.  Ha. Imagine.  'Go, go, Gadget, my ass.'"

DEEcat98

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: 2022-10-01 10:52:15 »

Isn't this new "grim and gritty" rage what's getting the DCAU in trouble?  And who ever thought they'd see such a thing with Archie, perhaps the most family-friendly of all comic-book series?  :o

Although I must admit I've been kicking around an idea for a joke about a darker, edgier version of Inspector Gadget.   [a la Don Adams] "Oh, come, now, doctor.  That's silly.  Ha. Imagine.  'Go, go, Gadget, my ass.'"

One reason I was asking this is because of how Harvey Girls Forever! was hinting character development, yet the show ended and never later focused on character development when it should have.

One reason why I asked this question is because of how I am regarding to Harvey Girls Forever! (formally called Harvey Street Kids during its first Season). The show ended two year ago, yet with how it lasted for four Seasons, it ended with some unresolved stuff. Why can't the show last longer or at least continue with another series just so that it would start to later focus on character development?

electricferret
Rookie

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: 2022-10-03 08:24:50 »

This whole thing is a misunderstanding of the goals of entertainment. Series have plot hooks and "hint at" to give themselves options for future development. Without cliff hangers and open questions there is no budget for series+1. Put another way you are asking scriptwriters to cut their own throats by resolving stories while they are still raking in cash. Not going to happen.

Shows dont end when the story is done, they end when they are no longer financially useful.
Thats just the way life is.

If you are lucky, the team knows their time is up and the put together a half decent ending, but thats the exception not the rule.
DEEcat98

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: 2022-10-08 12:47:00 »

Can’t writers just listen to fans just so that they could get their negative feedbacks to resolve and answer stuff?
aka "Numbers"
Master Member

This is not a personal text

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: 2022-10-08 14:14:42 »

Can’t writers just listen to fans just so that they could get their negative feedbacks to resolve and answer stuff?
In an ideal world, yes. But it just ain't like that. Writers will first and foremost listen to the producers.

Smileys. Made a list of them. I had nothing better to do.
Pages: [1] 2 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Should Movies and Shows get Darker Follow Ups? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024