PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Should Movies and Shows get Darker Follow Ups? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should Movies and Shows get Darker Follow Ups?  (Read 1840 times)
DEEcat98

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #15 on: 2022-10-08 18:07:59 »

Then why can't producers even care about that audiences want to learn more about any certain side characters and to see some answers get solved and some problems get resolved?
« Last Edit: 2022-10-08 18:09:49 by DEEcat98 » Logged
RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: 2022-10-08 20:26:08 »

Dee, this has been answered so many times to you already.  It comes down to money.  If they are not making money, they have to do what the network tells them to do. If they are lucky, the network will give them time to wrap up the show at the end of a season, otherwise it's just cancelled. Producers do what they are told and what's good for their money, not the viewer.
« Last Edit: 2022-10-08 20:26:33 by RainySunshine » Logged
NostradamusTheSeer
Prolific Member

Skillfully controls the flow of Miss Information

WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: 2022-10-18 14:36:36 »

I think what you're talking about, my dear, is a Trope called A Day In The Limelight... not, as I surmised, more adult-tooled reboots of a beloved franchise (which they've done with She-Ra, and twice with He-Man, to some acclaim, but there will always be those like myself who greatly prefer the original).  I think the mistake Harvey Girls Forever made was, after introducing Richie Rich to their universe, focusing so many episodes on him and making him such an insufferable little pain in the keister. Honestly, I'd rather have seen more of his dog Dollar (I always liked him in the original comics and the eighties cartoon)...but here's the key: I don't whine about it, what, two years after the show's cancellation, constantly. What I'd do is create a suspiciously similar copyright-skirting substitute and pen all the scripts I see fit to starring him. It's what got me through that hellish dry spell after the switch from analog to digital, when I couldn't watch my favorite shows for nearly a decade, and a lot of Belch Dimension scripts started reading like Simpsons, Family Guy, and American Dad fanfic. Got a problem with the comics penned between 2009 and 2017? Blame [bleep]in' Obama.    ???  ::)

Now: giving a show's minor supporting character his own episode can wind up being very good, or very bad. Are they strong enough, do you feel, to properly carry it? Ever see South Park's Towlie episode? Yecch. Even the creators themselves have pretty much admitted that thing was a stinker.  Butters, however, who got his start as a background extra, soon proved to be so darn likeable he's actually gotten a couple of pretty good episodes focused on him.

So, yes, a lot of it is, basically, following the money. Perhaps you missed the point of the episode where Lucretia has a successful podcast, and instead of ending on a high note, attempts to please everybody and keeps her show going way past its prime, eventually alienating her fans and losing all her listeners. That is what you're doing, trying to wheedle the producers, who have all moved on to new things, into coming back to do your pet vanity project. A character-building episode for the Dot/Pinkeye 'shippers, say, may appeal to you, Miss Dee, sure, and writing for your own enjoyment is fine, but do realize a lot of critics are going to lambaste it as either shamelessly pandering to those select few who might like it, or label it some weird kid-friendly allegory for venereal disease. And I frankly don't care to see the sequel to "Raccoon Hoarder Picture Show", "Raccoon Hoarders Stow Their Meals" (a.k.a. "Schlock Treatment"). Maybe in twelve, 15 years come back to the idea and helm your own reboot, with a whole new creative and voice team attached. Or, if you learn someone else is doing a series based on a Harvey Comics property, hey, just do what John K.'s former frig-bunny did: throw a fit, accuse the producers of trying to use the show to manipulate and groom a new generation of kids, and demand a total boycott... until they relent and, to shut you up, offer you a seat at the table, whereupon you then seize control of the whole production and become the Supreme DEE-ctator.    ;D   :nervoussmile:   ;)

Pages: < 1 [2] Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Should Movies and Shows get Darker Follow Ups? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024