PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Streaming Services Show Discussions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: Streaming Services Show Discussions  (Read 23750 times)
NostradamusTheSeer
Prolific Member

Skillfully controls the flow of Miss Information

WWW Email
« Reply #75 on: 2021-03-12 23:42:50 »

Yes...the reviewer for another short--"Pest Coaster" starring Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam--put it best when he says they "never would have done something like this in the old days" and describes Isadore "Friz" Freleng as a much more conservative director than some of his contemporaries, like Tex Avery or Bob Clampett.  You certainly wouldn't have seen Fudd's eyes pulled out of heir sockets or Yosemite Sam peeled and exenterated in any of his pictures.

Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #76 on: 2021-07-09 13:41:46 »

WHY?  WHY IS THIS COMING BACK?  WHY did someone give Canada the OK to make this again?

Netfix is paying for a new REBOOT of Johnny Test... one of the most hated shows on television.  Here is the trailer.  They changed the design slightly and the animation improved a bit.

Article on reboot.  The series comes back to Netflix on july 16, 2021.

FoxTail
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #77 on: 2021-07-09 15:54:33 »

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
Graymist

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #78 on: 2021-07-09 21:53:12 »

Yikes... Netflix... why?  What's next... the forgettable show "Yakkity Yak" returning?  "Kaput and Zosky?"
NostradamusTheSeer
Prolific Member

WWW Email
« Reply #79 on: 2021-07-23 11:06:52 »

WHY?  WHY IS THIS COMING BACK?...Netfux is paying for a new REBOOT of Johnny Test...  They changed the design slightly and the animation improved a bit.

My notes:
    • First, shortening the theme song? Why? That was the best part! And adding a Simpson-esque "couch gag" title card to each short doesn't make it better.
    • The animation definitely has a shinier feel to it, and few of the designs are slightly tweaked-- Mr. Mittens has a scar over one eye now, for example.
    • New villains have been introduced... four episodes in and already we have an evil robot baby, an Amazon expy run by an immoral plutocrat, and a deranged noise-hating librarian. Good. Dark Vegan is pretty much an ineffectual milksop, and you can only do the revenge-scheme-turns-into-a-silly-racing-competition-episode plot sooooooooooo many times. Promising, if handled correctly.
    • Didn't you do the "Johnny has amnesia because of a lab mishap" plot already in the original series run, guys? And then again with Dukey? I guess the writers...well, forgot.
    • They did get rid of the annoying "whip-crack" sound effects when characters move quickly, so... a positive.
    • "The Silence of The Johnnys' is actually pretty good-- it introduces the aforementioned crazy librarian Ms. Shush (Tabitha St. Germain) who builds a device to silence the entire town.  While in places it's a bit derivative of (screams loudly) FAIRLY ODDPARENTS (returns to normal register), highlights include the running gag of books with very specific and esoteric book titles, the old-timey-piano-scoring-a-scene gag, and... dum-tum-duuuuum... a sneeze.    ;D
    • Bling-Bling Boy still has a crush on Susan, but now he's not as creepy and blatant about it. I think he's being careful not to end up on the same list as Pepe LePew and ex-Clarence creator/voice actor Skyler Page.
    • The series tries to remain relevant with an episode parodying Amazon.com, run by a bad guy who looks like a combination of Jeff Bezos, Elan Musk, and Steve Jobs. I think it might be more interesting to see an episode where "real-world" tech catch up with one of the girl's fantastic, but unpatented, experiments and have them to go to court to try to prove that they did it first.
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: 2021-07-23 11:07:34 by NostradamusTheSeer » Logged

Kiwi
    Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
    « Reply #80 on: 2021-07-23 22:56:51 »

I appreciate the dive into the new show.  I take it though you were actually a fan of the original show... or more so than the average person, @NostradamusTheSeer?

If not, you rather thoughtfully game some good breakdown of the show.

Hopefully they kept up the whip crack sound effect. ;D
    « Last Edit: 2021-07-23 22:57:37 by Kiwi » Logged
    NostradamusTheSeer
    Prolific Member

WWW Email
    « Reply #81 on: 2021-07-24 00:03:27 »

I preferred the early episodes, before the scripts got too repetitive and they got a little too far up their butts with the green Aesops, like global warming and recycling.  Plus, Dukey.  Admittedly I am a sucker for a lovable talking dog.

"JTA - Johnny Talent Agency" claims that Speed McCool's new TV show "Dr. Speed" was the first program ever to be cancelled in the middle of an episode.  Actually, that honor goes to Turn-On, back in early 1969. It was so vulgar and filthy the network yanked the plug barely fifteen minutes in and cut immediately to a test pattern, and many affiliates wouldn't even air the show at all.  Even now, in this, the age of YouTube, the surviving footage is kept jealously guarded.  More information about this ill-fated comedy show here.

By the way, Johnny has his own section at the very same site.

Graymist

PSF Member

WWW Email
    « Reply #82 on: 2021-07-24 16:03:02 »

By the way, Johnny has his own section at the very same site.

Lol.  "You wanna be a Canadian idiot?”  I like how that is the sub-title. ;D  Lol!
    MasterXtreme
    Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
    « Reply #83 on: 2021-08-03 00:07:56 »

Coming to HBO Max, Jellystone!  It brings back a ton of the Hannah-Barbara classics in a completely new look and set of voices.  Totally new setting.

Watching the trailer, I could tell fairly quickly, this was the work of C.H. Greenblatt.  The comedic tone and some of the writing lent to that.  It's nice to see he has been given another change, but will this show be good?  I guess we will find out. It does also feature the voice talent of Jeff Bergman.

Greenblatt called the series a "love letter" in an interview with Greg Ehrbar on Jerry Beck's animationscoop.com but "not a nostalgia show," though he had filled the episodes with classic cameos and planned many more for future shows. He did not see the series as a replacement for the original shows and characters, but hoped that the entire Hanna-Barbera library might someday become available easily.
    « Last Edit: 2021-08-03 00:12:23 by MasterXtreme » Logged
    NostradamusTheSeer
    Prolific Member

WWW Email
    « Reply #84 on: 2021-08-04 16:25:34 »

You know, looking at the voice cast list, it's amazing how it takes over a dozen actors to do what two guys and a gal-- Daws Butler, Don Messick, and Jean Vanderpyl-- used to do back in the day.  Why are Snagglepuss and Funky Phantom played by two different people when it's essentially the same voice?

When I read about this new show, my first thought,was, "Oh, (bleep), please, for the luvva gawd, don't let one of Bill and Joe's kids (bleep) on this one like Jay Ward's daughter did all over the new Rocky and Bullwinkle series." Are they going to switch things up and make some major character a minority/woman this around, like they did poor Capt. Peter Peachfuzz? 

Kiwi
    Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
    « Reply #85 on: 2021-08-04 18:15:47 »

Why did Jabberjaw sound like a female?
    FoxTail
    Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
    « Reply #86 on: 2021-08-22 16:25:46 »

Coming to HBO Max, Jellystone!  It brings back a ton of the Hannah-Barbara classics in a completely new look and set of voices.  Totally new setting.

Watching the trailer, I could tell fairly quickly, this was the work of C.H. Greenblatt.  The comedic tone and some of the writing lent to that.  It's nice to see he has been given another change, but will this show be good?  I guess we will find out. It does also feature the voice talent of Jeff Bergman.

Greenblatt called the series a "love letter" in an interview with Greg Ehrbar on Jerry Beck's animationscoop.com but "not a nostalgia show," though he had filled the episodes with classic cameos and planned many more for future shows. He did not see the series as a replacement for the original shows and characters, but hoped that the entire Hanna-Barbera library might someday become available easily.

This show is now being premiered on Cartoon Network in a sudden shift of plans.  So it will be on CN and HBO Max.
    FoxTail
    Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
    « Reply #87 on: 2021-08-22 16:26:18 »

Why did Jabberjaw sound like a female?

So for some reason, the show changed many formerly male characters into female characters.

I guess to make it so that everyone in the show wouldn't be male.
    flemishcap

PSF Member

Email
    « Reply #88 on: 2022-01-19 18:44:59 »

This looks like a fun time.  Based on the video game, THE CUPHEAD SHOW is coming to Netflix.  Drawn in the classic American animation style with classic style music!  Looks like something refreshing.

What's old is new.

Seems like a shame this show won't be on television.  It's going to miss out on a lot of audience.  I could see Cartoon Network picking it up if they are allowed too. Seems like their kind of thing.
    « Last Edit: 2022-01-19 18:45:51 by flemishcap » Logged
    Graymist

PSF Member

WWW Email
    « Reply #89 on: 2022-01-19 22:48:00 »

That looks pretty good honestly. 
    Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 > Go Up Print 
    PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Streaming Services Show Discussions « previous next »
    Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024