PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Streaming Services Show Discussions 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: Streaming Services Show Discussions  (Read 23771 times)
NostradamusTheSeer
Prolific Member

Skillfully controls the flow of Miss Information

WWW Email
« Reply #90 on: 2022-03-25 10:36:19 »

( ^ And here I thought I knew cartoons well.  I have never heard of the "Get Along Gang." )

Well, if you enjoy strange, obscure television series from three decades ago you'll love Netflix's new show Saturday Morning All Star Hits! It's basically a love letter to the eighties and nineties...written by its mentally-disturbed stalker who's been court- ordered to stay 500 feet away at all times. It's  a "lost footage"-type show done in the style of an old VHS recording you might find in your own house, right down to the tracking lines and static, hosted by a couple of blonde surfer/stoner types--actually played by one actor made to look like twins via fast jump-cuts and split-screen effects.  Weird thing is, it's based on a real Saturday morning show which may have actually been more batcrap nuts than is the parody itself.  Not only do they do a pretty good job of recreating the flat, cheaply-drawn feel of shows like The Care Bears, Thundercats (1985), and Denver the last Dinosaur, but some of the actual actors of the day--Frank Welker, Cree Summer, Maurice LaMarche--lend their voices. The shows are even book-ended with fake commercials that manage to look a lot like the real thing: toys, video games, breakfast cereal, bubble gum, ads for bad movies. The cheesy dialogue and simple animation of the cartoons only serves to underscore the more jarring adult moments of violence, bestiality, alcoholism, drug addiction, and domestic abuse (like when one of the hosts stumbles during a race, and his sadistic brother laughs at him while he sits nursing a scraped, bloody knee, or when the show's credits are interrupted by breaking news of the gruesome murder-suicide of the two leads of a Saved By The Bell parody) that occasionally crop up. It's as if the writers are saying, "Hey, you may have had it pretty good as a kid sitting in front of your TV then...but there were still horrible things going on in the world at the time, don't forget." This is exemplified by Bruce Chandling (Kyle Mooney, who also plays Skip and Traybor) and his promo for a Bobby's World/Life With Louie-type show he has coming up on the network (and if you knew how sad the late comic Louie Anderson's life growing up really was, the joke of Chandling stumbling through his childhood reminisces is rather evident).

When doing a parody like this , you really have to go all out to beat the actual weirdness already inherent in the material. My generation had comedians, athletes, and rap/pop singers starring in their own often short-lived series--remember Mario meeting Milli Vanilli, in the thirteenth minute of heir fifteenth minute of fame?...and stuff like this. I guess the animators had to take care where they drew Fanny sticking that nozzle--wouldn't do to have impressionable little kids sticking bike pump hoses into their mouths or up their buttholes.     ^-^   :-]  :nervoussmile: 

No wonder an actor on one of these shows wondered if there was maybe something in the water at NBC....    P==D

NostradamusTheSeer
Prolific Member

WWW Email
« Reply #91 on: 2022-04-01 16:53:14 »

Based on the video game, THE CUPHEAD SHOW is coming to Netflix.  Drawn in the classic American animation style with classic style music!

The animation style and designs are very evocative of the old thirties and forties cartoons, particularly that of Ub Iwerks' very underappreciated post-Disney stuff.

Big Mouth has a new spinoff, Human Resources, about the day-to-day lives of the hormone monsters, love bugs, shame wizards, and other anthropomorphizations and embodiment of our emotions. The various beings who are in charges of governing our deepest, most base and disgusting urges are now learning, living and loving as they pass their days as wage-slave cubicle drones. It's like where you work, except people [bleep] and [bleep] in the break room, and you have to watch your step because sometimes there's [bleep bleep] all over the conference room floor. 

If you like your weirdness a bit more G-rated, however, might I recommend... uh... [riffles through files] ...ah! this 1990 cartoon called Gravedale High, a forgotten one-season wonder which might deservedly get a bit more attention with talks of star Rick Moranis coming out of retirement to do Shrunk for Disney Plus.

Smiles2us
Administrator

Email
« Reply #92 on: 2022-04-01 18:32:15 »

With how unpopular and hated Big Mouth was, I don't know how they got a spinoff.  It was considered everything wrong with adult animation.  Clearly someone is lining someone's pockets...
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #93 on: 2022-08-05 21:57:10 »

While CNN+ holds the record for being the fastest ending streaming service, having not lasted even a full week....

We got a new streaming service that is going to end.

HBO Max.
NostradamusTheSeer
Prolific Member

WWW Email
« Reply #94 on: 2022-08-05 23:42:31 »

Will their original programming be cancelled or bought by other networks?  I'm still waiting for the new Looney Tunes Cartoons season to hit my fav cartoon website.

Graymist

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #95 on: 2022-08-06 14:23:13 »

Will their original programming be cancelled or bought by other networks?  I'm still waiting for the new Looney Tunes Cartoons season to hit my fav cartoon website.

Based on the article, they will be cancelled.  All shows that were "in the works" are also going to be cancelled.  They specifically listed animation programs as having no monetary value to furthers the company's coffers.  So dark days ahead for animation at Cartoon Network and all the Warner Brothers owned services.

HBOX Max has already ceased new original series development in Central Europe, Nordic Europe, the Netherlands, and Turkey, as well as removed selected international series from the platform worldwide.  It is expected HBO Max and Discovery Plus will merge.
« Last Edit: 2022-08-06 14:25:13 by Graymist » Logged
Graymist

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #96 on: 2022-08-06 14:26:24 »

@NostradamusTheSeer

This video explains it in under 2 mins.

HBO Max will be ending soon...

Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #97 on: 2022-08-07 21:29:05 »

So glad I don't have any streaming service. They are quite unstable it seems. You know more will fall too. 

How it always works... a ton all start out, then they start to merge, buy each others out, and in the end, there will be a few BIG ones remaining.  This happens with all things.  Even tv channels.  There used to be so many unique channels all owned separately, and not they are all pretty much owned by about five companies.
« Last Edit: 2022-08-07 21:30:23 by Rainberry » Logged

MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #98 on: 2022-08-09 16:21:00 »

^ exactly.
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #99 on: 2022-08-11 17:34:57 »

HBO Max drama / Discovery Plus drama grows.  Catch up on it all here.

Yahoo Article
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #100 on: 2022-08-13 23:14:38 »

Welp... lol
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #101 on: 2022-10-06 18:35:22 »

New Netflix feature length film.  ‘Oni: Thunder God’s Tale’

MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #102 on: 2022-10-06 18:41:58 »

Velma is no longer white in this new HBO Max series.  It is aimed for a more mature audience and will premier 2023. Beyond that not much is known about the show or if it will go 'woke.'  The trailer even seems to make fun of the fact that Velma is no longer white.

Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #103 on: 2022-10-06 19:52:12 »

Fraiser Reboot Incoming to Paramount+, But Kelsey Grammar gives some warnings...
Article Screenrant

I love Fraiser, but I feel it should have been left alone.  Now days it might not land like it used to for different audiences.  I love Grammar and the show, and I want this to be a success.  I hope it proves us wrong.

Wolfwood
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #104 on: 2022-11-18 17:08:39 »

A new Sonic cartoon is coming to Netflix.

Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Streaming Services Show Discussions « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024