PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: The Owl House 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Owl House  (Read 1616 times)
DEEcat98

PSF Member

Email
« on: 2019-12-31 20:59:27 »

Well, a new decade is officially starting, the 2020's. As the 2020's is now beginning. Here is one of the first 2020 as well as one of the first 2020's cartoons that I am exited for, The Owl House!

Anyone else also hyped for this show? I know I am! ;D
RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: 2019-12-31 21:01:16 »

Happy new year.  We predicted you would bring this up.

https://psfforum.com/index.php?topic=564.msg315425#msg315425  <---Topic on it here.
Wolfwood
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: 2020-02-21 15:37:39 »

I'm not sure what Disney's usual ratings are, but this show premiered with barely over 500,000 viewers and has since only drawn in half a million or less.  It's not a ratings hit, that's for sure.

Also Disney has only ordered 10 episodes for season one, which is not much at all.  Are they playing it safe or will they end this soon?
« Last Edit: 2020-02-21 15:43:33 by Wolfwood » Logged
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: 2020-02-21 15:57:57 »

Here is a convo on this show from the Disney Channel Topic.

Seems like everyone is liking this supernatural theme lately and come on Disney... how is this not supposed to sound like the Loud House.

Disney Channel’s ‘The Owl House’
Article

You would never think that the dark art of 15th century Dutch artist Hieronymus Bosch would serve as the inspiration for a children’s cartoon. Well, thanks to Dana Terrace and her wild imagination, the strange creatures conjured by the European painter have found their way in the new Disney Channel series The Owl House. The show, which debuts in January, and is already in production of its second season, follows the adventures of a young teenage girl named Luz who decides to pursue her dreams of becoming a witch after she stumbles into a strange realm, inhabited by feisty witch Eda and her tiny warrior friend King.

Terrace, a former director on DuckTales and storyboard artist on Gravity Falls, recalls starting to collect her notes and images and putting together her pitch for the story back in 2015. Then, she finally began pitching her story about a young girl who becomes a witch’s apprentice only a few months after she started directing DuckTales.

The setting for The Owl House changed a little bit since its early days. Terrace says for a brief time, she was toying with the idea of the whole show being set after the young character dies, so that the Owl House is all set in the afterlife. What really had a clear impact on her work is the work of artists such as Bosch, John Bauer, Remedios Varos and the puppetry of Jim Henson.

So I had time and watched what is so far the show, "Owl House."  I can sum it up very easily.  It is exceedingly average and exceedingly okay.  It has promise, but as of now, it's nothing new.  It's just a rehash of what Disney has presented before in a new shiny package.  It's Gravity Falls and Star vs the Forces of Evil combined into one thing.  Animation is nice, but there really isn't much to this show.  In some aspects it's cringey how much it's goes out of it's way to promote, "being weird is okay."  That's fine, okay... I get it. 

It's the same thing we've seen before in a new package and nothing more so far.

So I had time and watched what is so far the show, "Owl House."  I can sum it up very easily.  It is exceedingly average and exceedingly okay.  It has promise, but as of now, it's nothing new.  It's just a rehash of what Disney has presented before in a new shiny package.  It's Gravity Falls and Star vs the Forces of Evil combined into one thing.  Animation is nice, but there really isn't much to this show.  In some aspects it's cringey how much it's goes out of it's way to promote, "being weird is okay."  That's fine, okay... I get it. 

It's the same thing we've seen before in a new package and nothing more so far.

Thanks for your little write up.  Hopefully it can do something to set itself a part.  I haven't seen it.  Based off the name too, they are clearly trying to draw in viewers of Nickelodeon's hit show, "The Loud House."

Yeah, I’ve found the setting and storytelling kinda boring. I think, for me, the “anything goes magical world where the inhabitants are just whatever” is getting old. 'Feels like I've seen a dozen of these in just the last couple years.
Eda’s design is stellar, though. 11/10. I love her. Also most episodes have had a fight scene – that’s pretty fun for a cartoon like this.
I have yet to see it, but just from what has been said it seems very samey.  I will watch it eventually.
« Last Edit: 2020-02-21 15:58:51 by AnyPoneDrawn » Logged
sudosnz

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: 2021-07-13 07:29:35 »

Bumping the thread. We're a few episodes into the second season and I love the series. Unfortunately, it's been confirmed to only last three seasons, with the last one being only (the equivalent of) six episodes. On the upside, that's still a long way away. And while it may have started out "samey" as some have already stated, they turn things around very quickly.
Soda
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: 2021-07-13 17:34:27 »

Why is the series going to be so short?  I know it's been well received.
sudosnz

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: 2021-07-13 19:37:27 »

Well, 3 seasons does seem to be standard for Disney TV these days. DuckTales and Tangled both got a proper conclusion out of that. But others like Big Hero 6 weren't so lucky with their final batch, I'm not even sure if Spider-Man is finished or not. Then there's stuff like Gravity Falls, Penn Zero and Milo Murphy's Law which wrapped up nicely but still left me wanting more. Amphibia also seems to have a planned conclusion in their third season. Fans tried petitioning to lengthen The Owl House season 3, but the creator says it's too late for an extension...which doesn't rule out a Kim Possible type sitch where a season 4 gets made by popular demand, or supplementary material like books or comics. But even though the series has a finite length, it's still far from over and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: 2021-07-14 17:56:35 »

In the old days, the limit was I think 64 episodes on Disney shows.  The show that broke that was Kim Possible who pushed hard for a season 4 and they got a season 4.  The first show to break Disney's 64 episode limit. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: The Owl House « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024