PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Gaming Board  >  Topic: Trucking Simulator Games Discussion 0 Members and 20 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 339 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trucking Simulator Games Discussion  (Read 491367 times)
timmelon
SCM Member

Email
« Reply #165 on: 2020-04-27 21:51:25 »

In ETS2 I still drive the oldest Volvo truck in the game, lol.  I just got used it and have driven it ever since, even with the new Scania and Renault.
Wow. I can say that all years before I tried ETS2 the first Volvo FH was THE most favorite truck since my early childhood. Its low roof cab looked for me like an improved cab of MAZ-500 series:

I liked both MAZ and Volvo mostly because their look seemed to be very smooth and there was not any single unnessessary details on them.
And speaking of MAN, I see they love traditional approach to making new models in TGA/TGX line: just evolution, not revolution. Newer versions have same basic look, but almost all details are improved. But even them can't stand before temptation to place a huge black trapezoid on the face of new cab, like FH2012, F-Max, S-way and so on.
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #166 on: 2020-04-28 13:26:15 »

I don't use any mods, so I only have what's in vanilla.  Speaking of MAN I thought the same thing.  I was looking through their new trucks online. I am now curious to try out the Dutch brand, DAF.  I own one, but haven't really used it for anything.  It sits in a garage in France...

And talking about trucks, go find the MACK dealerships.  The Anthem has arrived.

RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #167 on: 2020-04-28 13:43:14 »

The Volvo FH was the first truck I bought in ETS 2 and is still my main truck! :D  Lol.  Despite there being newer models.

Going to log into ATS real soon and look for a MACK dealership.
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #168 on: 2020-04-28 13:48:40 »

There isn't many dealerships and all are located roughly in the Pacific Northwest so far.

Yakima, Washington.

Pendleton, Oregon.

Sacramento, California.

Just as in real life, Mack isn't a huge brand in the United States compared to Freightliner, Kenworth, Peterbilt, and International. 

Mack is more popular in America's eastern coast and with Australian's.  Western Star is also a smaller brand that is more popular in the American west, Canada, and Australia.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-28 13:50:09 by MasterXtreme » Logged
RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #169 on: 2020-04-28 17:09:48 »

Tets drove the Lonestar for the first time by doing a "quick job."  I think it had pretty decent power and it seemed nimble for a big rig.  But I didn't like the engine drone and how loud it was in the cabin.  I also didn't like how I had to turn the cursor to even look out at a side mirror.  I feel the mirrors are too far sticking out.  My other trucks I can sit with a good view of the dash and steering wheel, and whats ahead of me, as well the left side mirror.
timmelon
SCM Member

Email
« Reply #170 on: 2020-04-29 07:54:19 »

Well, who else tested the new MACK Anthem?
I think we have a serious reason to rethink our monitor choice or, at least, the FOV preferences ;D.

Tets drove the Lonestar for the first time by doing a "quick job."...
...I feel the mirrors are too far sticking out.
Lonestar, you said? ;D
Well, if you align the left mirror like I do, the FOV is equal to 91° and on my 27" monitor I can read the most important numbers without efforts, and for other readings I use zoom mode (I usually bind it on RMB). It's just a bit wider than FOV in 389 with painted mirrors, so I just drive Lonestar in this setup like all other trucks and don't see a major inconvenience.

But... If you want to do that with Anthem on a 16:9 monitor, you will get this (111° ;D):

I truly understand that IRL the wider are the mirrors located, the more convenient they are, but for gamers, I think, it's time to return to screen setups like I used when played ETS the first time — toggle on the cheater's mirrors and sit close to the wheel:

Or install the eye/head tracker. Or buy another monitor ;D, like this Ultrawide, but comments on a forum where I took this screenshot say that this guy is still sitting far far behind the driver's seat ;D.
So what is my opinion on a MACK Anthem? If don't pay attention to FOV issues, I can complain only about a bit smaller than usual fuel tanks and total abscence of 600hp engines. But it's not the SCS's fault, they had to make this truck like real to get the license. But the sounds and general quality of this model are great. Once again, the attention to details is brilliant — various fuel tank types, optional chromed bars everywhere (even on the inner side of back fairings), logo of JOST on a fifth wheel (apparently, SCS started to gain licenses for a minor components as well), and of course, «Bulldog with Pedigree» ;D. I hope that it's not a temporary joke and this name for golden bulldog statue will remain later.

P.S. It's a pity I don't have a monitor with 4:3 or even 5:4 aspect ratio. In that case my second screenshot probably woud be look like a fish-eye picture ;D. And laptop users also will not be happy to drive new MACK.

P.P.S.
And the tachometer from Anthem is definitely not in my manual geek's taste. Just compare it with tachometer from DAF 106 and say, what one is more usable for inexperienced driver? Of course, another American tachometers mostly lack the coloured bars as well, but at least they aren't overloaded with this bunch of unessessary numbers. But I must admit that the MACK's dashboard is drawn much better than DAF's — compare the  smoothness of circles on the left and on the right :). And the speedometer marked up to 120 MPH/200 km/h is awesome too ;D.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-29 09:22:58 by timmelon » Logged
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #171 on: 2020-04-29 13:40:41 »

Lol, Rainy. ;D Okay, Once again, nice break down, Tim.

So here are my thoughts on the Anthem.  First of all, I bought the most expensive one to test it out and left everything as stock.  This 70'' sleep model had the Mack in-house transmission and their top engine choice.  While looking around the cabin and the outside, I love all the details.  Inside is lovely and looks great!  It really does.  I love the instrument cluster and the little "MACK" tags on the seats.  You also have many options on the outside.  Lots of chrome, or lots of black plastic/chrome.  You choice!  It is a great looking semi truck.

But as for the driving and towing, I was truly underwhelmed.  After spending most of my time in a Kenworth heavy duty truck, I hoped over to the anthem and drove from Ontario to Kennewick, over a small mountain range in-between.  I was only carrying 48,000lb and this truck struggled to reach a speed of 65mph through much of the journey.  I felt this truck was smooth and handled nimbly, maybe the best handling truck, but it's lack of power was clearly evident.  I couldn't pass a car even if I tried.  I was disappointed in that, but I understand that is the options in the real truck.  I will soon test out a base model.  I cannot imagine this truck pulling a heavy load, it wouldn't be able to maintain speeds or be capable enough for me to feel safe around traffic.
timmelon
SCM Member

Email
« Reply #172 on: 2020-04-29 14:35:45 »

And another two things I liked in Anthem:
1) Like VNL and T680, its daycab has a full set of aerodynamic fairings and thus it doesn't look defective compared to sleeper cab.
2) The steering wheel looks very fitting to the dashboard, I have not a smallest desire to change it for some SCI product, what I did on all six previous trucks.
But I still feel that soon I will return to Lonestar or 389, and mostly due to issues with mirrors. Cheater's ones are too small and are placed too high.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-29 14:38:51 by timmelon » Logged
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #173 on: 2020-04-29 16:41:35 »

Well here we go.
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #174 on: 2020-04-29 17:59:57 »

Towed a 117,000lb load from the Port of Seattle to the Port of Everett.  It wasn't a long drive, but boy did this truck not fill me with confidence with such a heavy load.  I mean yes, it pulled it, but I never once got up to the speed limit.  Handling was good though and I felt the cabin was extremely roomy.  But am I the only one who feels this truck isn't as powerful as some others?  I mean, I know it has less HP but it comes down to the transmission and torque too.

I love how the truck looks!  It looks tough.
timmelon
SCM Member

Email
« Reply #175 on: 2020-04-29 23:11:42 »

^Have you tried to deliver this Log Stacker not from ports, but from (or to) Deepgrove near Bellingham ;D?
It's a great source of distilated butthurt, especially if the destination point is somewhere close, therefore you have not so much time reserves and this bumpy road seems to be endless :nervoussmile:. In this conditions even the torque and gear ratios step on the background.
About of engine performance — its stats are not so different from 500-510 HP Cummins or Caterpillar, and I always use the same EF18 gearbox, so probably the feeling of underpower comes just from disappointment in abscence of 600 HP engines.
But it's still a lot of power, if compared to our grandparents' trucks. I tried some times ago to pull the 61t locomotive in Italy using the 310 HP Iveco, just for fun ;D. Although I was using the 16-speed gearbox, and this combination is much better than 370 HP Cummins or 345 HP Mack with 10-speed EF which has huge gaps between last three gears: for starting and low speeds it's fair enough, but at highways even on the slightest climbs you either quickly lose the speed, or are forced to hold 2000-2200 RPM all the time.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-29 23:23:10 by timmelon » Logged
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #176 on: 2020-04-30 16:46:43 »

No I have not.  Lol! ^ I bet it is tough.  I've only had ONE lousy job to Bellingham's forestry area this whole time and it wasn't a big load.  But it was beautiful going up the mountains through there.  I will say this though, some of the ports are very tight to squeeze through the security checkpoints, especially if you have to turn a lot.  I AM LOOKING AT YOU TACOMA and the last part of SEATTLE. Heck driving into Oakland from the freeway at the stoplight is bad too!

I have an Iveco truck in ETS2.  I stopped using it, but I might have to play around with better parts in the future.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-30 16:47:53 by AnyPoneDrawn » Logged
timmelon
SCM Member

Email
« Reply #177 on: 2020-04-30 21:51:28 »

Heck driving into Oakland from the freeway at the stoplight is bad too!
Oh, I see that it's the legendary place here, since it was mentioned so many times ;D. But at least the road to Oakland is smooth, and the main challenge is the traffic, which disappears after every save-load sequence — unlike that, the forest road's challenges can not be avoided. When I last time have been in Bellingham's Deepgrove with a Log Stacker, I got 11% damage on a new truck just for moving on the bumpy road without crashing anywhere, and the route from starting point to highway was completed from a third attempt :nervoussmile:. Stucking between major bumps, I imagined himself playing Mudrunner, not an ATS.
I remember one Russian video, when the poor Volvo was forced to tow a wide box from the port through the off-road area, scratching the ground with a trailer — very similar to forest rides in ATS. The site when I took link on this video says this truck and trailer are not equipped for heavy or oversized load, and the driver will pull this box (which weight is 51t while the vehicle has been built to have no more than 36.5t in total :nervoussmile:) for a 300 km without any flags or warning lights and with risk to overheat the brakes, drop the box or just damage the vehicle beyond repair. So I see that ATS players have no reason to complain: they drive proper trucks with proper trailers, and nothing can break by itself ;D.
I have an Iveco truck in ETS2.  I stopped using it, but I might have to play around with better parts in the future.
I buy new Ivecos from time to time, but old ones' quality is too low for today, the only good part is the engine's sound — it's much less dull than in Hi-Way.
And speaking about Anthem* and its mirrors, it's interesting to compare old a new Iveco's FOV — unlike Volvo or Scania, models from different generations have different mirrors width — new Iveco makes me to set the FOV to 93° (wider than in Lonestar!) and old one require decreasing the FOV to align the left edge of mirror with left edge of the screen. So it's not only MACK's feature — European trucks manufacturers can also do experiments with different mirrors location.

*after almost six thirteen hours of driving I still can't stop finding new nice details in it. I very like how this truck has two complete independent sets of black and chromed accessories, one for brighter truck color, one for darker one — unlike Volvo FH 2012, where black and chrome front grilles are bundled with engines.

UPD:
If you like the Oakland Port so much, try HMS base at Vernal (UT):

Two 90-degree turns between buildings, nighttime (and here is real night, not Scandinavian one ;D), RM double — and I crawled there as slow as possible trying to make turns as wide as possible, so I truly recommend this base to everyone. I didn't try to go there with an oversized load or TP double, but I hope I will do this someday (or somenight ;D).
« Last Edit: 2020-05-02 13:02:56 by timmelon » Logged
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #178 on: 2020-05-03 13:50:25 »

Awww yes, Vernal's HMS.  I've already been there at least twice.  It's a very unique entrance, lol. 

timmelon
SCM Member

Email
« Reply #179 on: 2020-05-05 10:08:17 »

I know you're driving Mack now, but...

Let's go listen European railroad crossings! I hope that different countries have different alarms.
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 339 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Gaming Board  >  Topic: Trucking Simulator Games Discussion « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024