PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: Covid-19 / Coronavirus Topic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: Covid-19 / Coronavirus Topic  (Read 12883 times)
Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« on: 2020-03-07 22:09:19 »

Covid-19 / Coronavirus Topic

Discuss your fears, worries, encouragement, news, whatever it may be in this topic.

Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: 2020-03-07 22:12:45 »

I'm going to be honest.  I'm scared.  :(  I'm scared for my family members who are older, friends, and the people around the country and world.  I'm scared there is no vaccine and I am scared about the thought of us being trapped in a quarantine.  I am seeing headlines around the world at places like Italy, the UK, France, Germany, Australia, and South Korea and how they are not able to contain their Coronavirus outbreaks.  These are all first world countries and they are struggling.  The US is a first world country and we are being the virus explode in the Pacific Northwest, the west coast, and now the east coast.  I want to believe in our government and leaders are doing the right thing, but just like us, they've never experienced this stuff before.  They've practiced, but now it's happening.

I'm just flat out scared.  :(

Blurr
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: 2020-03-07 23:31:40 »

I’m scars too Rain. This crap is some next level shit happening and it’s horrible what’s happening to everyone around the world. I’m scared for my family and friends too. Hell one of my best friends up in Canada DOES have it. So I’m worried as hell for him....

Water, earth, fire. Long ago, the three seasons lived together in harmony. Then everything changed, when the Shyamalan attacked.....
~~~~~~~~
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt7Z9zf_O70YIrx7UD9xyYg
Fimfiction: https://www.fimfiction.net/user/AutoKnight
LovesSneezingApparently
SCM Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: 2020-03-08 11:31:44 »

We have to take this one day at a time.

It's impossible not be anxious; that's totally understandable. But stress can weaken the immune system, and... you know. That's not the best.
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: 2020-03-08 14:03:33 »

Try not to be afraid and worried.  What happens is what happens, but we can be as prepared as possible.  Stay away from large gathering, wash your hands THOROUGHLY (Fingers, nails, palms, thumbs, tops of hand) each for at least 5 seconds in warm water with soap.  If you can find hand sanitizer, use it after you wash or take it with you as a temporary help to washing your hands (it cannot replace it). 

Here are the basics.

CDC
Health Dept. Information and what to do.

Here are sources so you can track the amount of cases.

World Map GIS Data
US and Canada Data

And further information on following the virus.

Facts Not Fear.
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: 2020-03-08 14:58:22 »

Sorry, Raine.  Wish I could provide some sort of comfort that wold ease your mind and fears.  But I guess I can say we are all going to be in this together.  We will see what happens.

Greta sources, MasterX.
RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: 2020-03-08 19:11:10 »

Just got to wash your hands and stay calm everyone.  Make sure you have enough food and supplies to last a few weeks just incase something bad were to happen... you never know.  But fear won't help.  Stressing won't help.
FoxTail
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: 2020-03-08 19:17:42 »

I'm nervous but I am trying to keep my cool over this.   I have been washing my hands and avoiding close contact with people.  Also remember don't touch your eyes, nose, or mouth.  That's how the virus gets inside.   Wash your hands thoroughly.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-08 19:19:18 by FoxTail » Logged
Kiwi
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: 2020-03-08 20:40:43 »

Stuff like this has happened before.  It happens especially in countries we never talk about today.  Be positive and be smart.  Wash your hands.
NostradamusTheSeer
Prolific Member

Skillfully controls the flow of Miss Information

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: 2020-03-09 14:10:28 »

Here's an interesting article I found on when it's too soon to make jokes about this scary pandemic.   I myself was kicking around a comic story idea about an outbreak of a disease called "Colonnavirus" which causes its victims to physically change into and speak like 40's-era comedian Jerry Colonna.     :{  "Greetings, gate! Let's osculate!"       I suppose I needn't fear backlash; I gather as long as the joke isn't terribly hurtful, defaming, or ethnic in nature, it's permissible... but my concern is, would millennial audiences get the gag?    :-\
« Last Edit: 2020-03-09 14:12:08 by NostradamusTheSeer » Logged

MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: 2020-03-09 16:03:19 »

Well everyone, it might be too early to say, but South Korea may have peaked in their coronavirus cases.  Lets hope they have, because that means soon they may have a decline.

Sadly on the opposite spectrum we have Italy, Spain, and Iran, all exploding in new cases and deaths.

Here's an interesting article I found on when it's too soon to make jokes about this scary pandemic.   I myself was kicking around a comic story idea about an outbreak of a disease called "Colonnavirus" which causes its victims to physically change into and speak like 40's-era comedian Jerry Colonna.     :{  "Greetings, gate! Let's osculate!"       I suppose I needn't fear backlash; I gather as long as the joke isn't terribly hurtful, defaming, or ethnic in nature, it's permissible... but my concern is, would millennial audiences get the gag?    :-\

That is an.... interesting idea you came up with.  Certainly original. 
Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: 2020-03-09 17:18:52 »

Hopefully this will ease some fears as well.  This is a comprehensive article about EVERYTHING we know and don't know about Coronavirus.  I'm sorry some of you are worried.  But try to stay calm and stay on top of keeping your hands clean and avoiding face contact.

This article should help ease a bit, including who is most at risk by age group, how long coronavirus lasts if you get it, etc.

Article

Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: 2020-03-10 16:47:47 »

We're about to see this thing explode in the case numbers in the US, Germany, Spain, and France based on case trends I'm looking at.  That is my personal opinion, but looking at the data and trends, it sure points to that.

MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: 2020-03-10 17:14:51 »

Hopefully this will make people think of the bigger picture and put you at ease some bit.

What does the 'flattened curve' have to do with minimizing spread of coronavirus?
Article KING 5 News Seattle

As a global pandemic like the coronavirus spreads, health officials around the world worry about hospitals being overwhelmed with patients needing intensive care, therefore increasing mortality rates and spreading the virus to a much larger population.

Different versions of a chart called the "flattened curve" have been shown by experts in Oregon -- and worldwide -- to help illustrate what kind of burden an overwhelmed hospital system could have.

It shows two curves -- the red "epidemic growth" line represents a heightened number of cases over a short amount of time.

This occurs in an environment where no social interventions have been placed. For example, if the population is simply going about their usual daily business, the virus is likely to infect more people in a shorter amount of time.

"The top of that peak is are people who need intensive care or ventilators. We want to flatten that peak and spread cases over time, so when the most critically ill get sick, they get access to resources and get a better shot at recovering from the virus," Jennifer Vines, Multnomah County's health officer, explained this week.

The second line shows the number of cases with social distancing implemented during the early stages of the virus. This slows the growth of the epidemic, and puts a lot less stress on the healthcare system, therefore lowering the mortality rate.

A good example of what social distancing can do to an epidemic's growth is what two American cities chose to do during the 1918 during the influenza pandemic. Philadelphia went on with holding large, social gatherings while the city of St. Louis canceled those kinds of events:

And lastly a video if interested of Washington Governor Jay Inslee telling the state to practice social distancing and further actions.
RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: 2020-03-10 22:22:52 »

Luckily if Coronavirus hits people's jobs, the Trump administration is working on a way that would requite companies to pay you your normal paycheck if you can't work due to job closure or illness.  News headlines below.  The CDC is also going to make recommendations for hard hit states like Washington, California, New York, etc by tomorrow.  Possibly telling some to quarantine, close schools, etc.  As well, the Trump Administration has worked out a deal with insurance companies so that people won't have to pay for Coronavirus testing co-pays as well as extended care due to the illness. Stay tuned as all this is changing constantly.

VP Mike Pence: US will soon issue coronavirus recommendations to four states, different states will gave recommendations tailored to them.

Trump, Pence Meet With Top Health Insurance Execs Who Agree to Waive Co-Pays, Extend Coverage for Coronavirus Treatment.

Pres. Trump pitches tax breaks to soften economic blow of coronavirus to Congress, makes sure everyone gets paid incase job stopped due to Coronavirus.

WA Gov. Jay Inslee to ban gatherings, events of more than 250 in Seattle amid coronavirus outbreak.

NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo orders coronavirus 'containment area' in New York suburb and deploys National Guard.

Virus Cases Jump On East Coast.

More Universities Stopping In-Person Classes Amid Virus Fears.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-10 22:23:05 by RainySunshine » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: Covid-19 / Coronavirus Topic « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024