PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Gaming Board  >  Topic: New Handheld coming out! Playdate! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Handheld coming out! Playdate!  (Read 1401 times)
Liath.Two
Rookie

PSF Member

Email
« on: 2021-06-08 12:46:52 »

THE PLAYDATE

Check out this new handheld thats coming out soon! You can even make your own games so imagine all of the new sneeze fetish games that could come out of this!

« Last Edit: 2021-06-11 13:29:35 by Darrin » Logged
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: 2021-06-08 15:41:43 »

Interesting.  Never heard of this one before.  Looks kinda retro cool!
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: 2021-06-08 15:54:14 »

The playdate eh?  I haven't heard of this things development either.  I must say it isn't the kind of games I enjoy.  I don't want to throw out the term "casual" games but it seems like that.  I don't mean that in a negative way either.  I like it's design, but the crank seems a bit odd and the device seems pretty cheaply made with those plastic buttons. 

I don't see this being all that successful.  It's very hard to break into the market.  They know the type of people who want these older style types of games, so they might have a small market.  I wouldn't pay much for any of these games, so it's nice they give you some games in the price of the device.  $179 and it comes with season 1 games. 

Seems expensive if you ask me.  Press for this has been nonexistent, so that isn't helpful for them either.  Pre-orders start July. 

Here is their official website.
https://play.date

I did find an article about the system and read through the comments.  Unfortunately it's mostly negative. 
« Last Edit: 2021-06-08 15:56:04 by anyponedrawn » Logged
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: 2021-06-08 16:00:41 »

I will have to read up on this system.  I don't know anything about this.  Neat little design, but I hope it can hold up to use.  Seems like it might be aimed for a more casual type of game, similar to phone games.  As well it might be a good tool for beginner game developers to tinker around with.
Graymist

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: 2021-06-08 18:37:17 »

I am pretty caught up on gaming news and I somehow have NEVER heard about this.  :O
Darrin
Administrator

Email
« Reply #5 on: 2021-06-11 13:30:07 »

I updated the OP post and the title of the thread to give more info on what people are clicking on.

This seems... interesting.

I didn't know it was made by the studio that made the critically acclaimed Firewatch game.  Though I have feelings this system will have very limited success.  We've seen a lot of systems try to come out including the new Atari, and even the Mad Box that didn't even get out the door.  This will be a niche produce if it gets out the door and will fade away within a year without making any real splash in the market.
« Last Edit: 2021-06-11 13:31:33 by Darrin » Logged

:):):):):):):):):):)>>> "Green is the New You" -PSF <<<:):):):):):):(:):):)
RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: 2021-06-11 13:42:48 »

It sort of harkens back to the original Gameboy.  Remember those?  Lol!  I remember when the Gameboy Color came out and how everyone latched onto those.

I doubt it will have that kind of reach, but who really knows?  I think it's great they are opening this up for indie developers... they just have to hope people will MAKE games.  Also the infrastructure to make games on a browser is assessable, but with its own pitfalls as well.  I guess it will be up to people and if they are willing to by small-niche games and play them on this device. 

Thanks for sharing @Liath.Two.
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: 2022-07-05 22:12:20 »

So has the Play Date failed yet?

Soooooo according to this video at the Playdate Central YT channel, they say the system will release in 2022 in two waves.  On their official website, they still have pre-orders.

Nonetheless, this product isn't making any type of splash whatsoever.  No channels are talking about it.  So maybe people will walk about it when the time comes closer for release?

It's going to be hard to compete in anyway with this system.  Obviously it can't take on the Steam Deck, that isn't its purpose.  But the audience it's aiming at is so niche and small to begin with.  I wish them the best, but let's see how it goes.
« Last Edit: 2022-07-05 22:14:12 by Silverwing » Logged
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: 2022-09-11 17:34:36 »

The Playdate is already obsolete. No one is talking about it.  The Steam Deck was a death blow even though they are competing in totally different buyers markets.  The Playdate's market is so niche at this point, it just won't survive.

I found a single review for the device and it was positive.  Review.  IGN and Gamespot also reviewed them, with good and bad attached to their playtime. Meanwhile Screenrant says the device is doomed to fail, and I agree with them.  Article.

I hope the company survives this and can continue to make games.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Gaming Board  >  Topic: New Handheld coming out! Playdate! « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024