PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: One Reason for Shows to Continue 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: One Reason for Shows to Continue  (Read 1223 times)
DEEcat98

PSF Member

Email
« on: 2022-07-03 18:51:22 »

While shows have to come to an end before suffering from Seasonal rot. But here is one question that I have, do you guys think a show should mostly continue longer just for character development and world building due to how it's earlier Seasons were hinting potential character development and world building?

I mean if you guys have noticed, shows these days like Adventure Time and My Little Pony pretty much lasted for a long time to make room for world building and character development.
Soda
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: 2022-07-03 21:30:57 »

It depends on a few things.  If the show is still hugely popular and drawing in huge numbers and the show hasn't run it's course, you can continue.

If the show is showing signs of decline in quality and fanbase and there is no head company demanding money, it's best to end on a good note instead of a pitiful sad heap well past your prime.  Past your prime like Spongebob, Simpsons, Family Guy, etc.
DEEcat98

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: 2022-07-03 22:31:05 »

I was saying if a show should continue longer just to later focus on character development and world building where the show may have had a short run but why not continue it by making it go from a light hearted episodic series to a deeper lore driven series?

If a show starts to later focus more on lore, wouldn’t help attract the fans even more?
« Last Edit: 2022-07-03 22:31:31 by DEEcat98 » Logged
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: 2022-07-03 22:33:40 »

It really depends like Soda said.  Sadly, it depends on many factors, and mainly from the company who pays for the show.

But for this scenario, lets say the company funding them has no say and the creators control the show.

Should a show continue for world building and character development?  Lol... it depends again.  Is that what the show was originally focused on?  If so, yeah continue.  But at the same time, if they don't have good ideas, just end it while the show's peaking. 

Same applies for episodic shows. 
DEEcat98

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: 2022-07-03 22:40:38 »

I’m also saying how do you think it feels when a show goes from light hearted and simple to darker and lore driven which is opposite to episodic slice of life shows becoming gross out and mean spirited?
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: 2022-07-03 22:41:42 »

^ I've never seen that happen before because it's so opposite to whatever the original show's intent was.  So I don't know.
DEEcat98

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: 2022-07-03 22:45:03 »

It actually has happened before with several modern shows since the 2010’s. Adventure Time started out light hearted and simple but then by its later Seasons, it became more deep and lore driven. Same went with Star vs. where that show also went from light hearted to lore driven.
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: 2022-07-03 22:47:22 »

True, true.  Good point.

That said, I still have no real answer to your questions.  It's so oddly specific and there are too many varying factors to properly give a simple answer.

Adventure Time for example was given free reign by Cartoon Network and could do anything they wanted.

Star vs. was put on life support by Disney and the creators were told their show would end after a certain episode number, so then they quickly crammed all they could into the final season, that they originally had hoped to spread out over time. 
timmelon
SCM Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: 2022-07-04 00:17:25 »

Friendship is Magic was more popular at seasons 2-4 than at seasons 8-9, but I don’t feel the current G5 products more attractive than latest G4 installments.
When the main show at least had a final episode, the EqG lineup was just discontinued.
DEEcat98

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: 2022-07-07 09:13:00 »

I do have another question relating to this.

Do you guys think any character should get character development if he/she is showing his/her miserable or misunderstood side?
Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: 2022-07-07 13:13:38 »

I'm not quite understanding your question.  A miserable character is a character trait, which if they have changes to their personality, that would become character development.

DEEcat98

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: 2022-07-07 14:32:56 »

But there are some shows where a character ends up not getting character development despite showing his/her miserable or misunderstood side, and its usually episodic shows where the character does not get his/her development.

SpongeBob for instance where Squidward nor Plankton never got character development.
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: 2022-07-07 17:25:23 »

It's because not all show's staff cares or that isn't the point of the show.  Spongebob is pretty episodic and they aren't there to dwell on characters feelings and what makes them who they are.

It's meant to be a funny show, not an emotional tear-jerker.
« Last Edit: 2022-07-07 17:25:57 by Silverwing » Logged
DEEcat98

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: 2022-09-29 21:00:18 »

One reason why I asked this question is because of how I am regarding to Harvey Girls Forever! (formally called Harvey Street Kids during its first Season). The show ended two year ago, yet with how it lasted for four Seasons, it ended with some unresolved stuff. Why can't the show last longer or at least continue with another series just so that it would start to later focus on character development?

Bumble

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: 2022-09-30 16:47:40 »

It all comes down to money.  Whomever was funding them felt there was no more reason to support the show for various reasons.  Where the money comes from, they don't care about the show and it's depth.  They just care if it's making them money.  Obviously it wasn't, so they ended it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: One Reason for Shows to Continue « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024