PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: World News 0 Members and 16 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 98 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: World News  (Read 298054 times)
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #30 on: 2016-04-09 12:10:36 »

World news stinks. :-/
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #31 on: 2016-04-10 13:55:38 »

You all know who she is.  Beverly Cleary turns 100!  I used to read her books all the time growing up.  Chances are you have too!  Happy birthday! 
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: 2016-04-11 09:53:11 »

Christianity as a whole has been under attack it seems lately... this latest places Bible's at the top of the list for books schools shouldn't buy...
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: 2016-04-15 11:58:00 »

Japan is being pounded by earthquakes.  Just yesterday they had a 6.4 and today they had a 7.4.

Source

To add to the bad news, Japan is printing money like mad.  Country leaders say that if this recent push of money doesn't help, that by 2018, Japan will be a failed state and collapse. 
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #34 on: 2016-04-15 14:11:31 »

Oh damn. Getting hit by earthquakes again? Poor Japan.

Printing money? Shouldn't they know that doesn't work, the Germans tried it, it doesn't work. Oh Japan...

mysteryserpent

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #35 on: 2016-04-15 14:45:21 »

NOOOOO!!!! :( JAPAN! Ya can't collapse...:(

Seriously though, printing money just really speeds up decay and overabundance of $. Too much of a currency means decline of value. Honestly it's the way of anything. If suddenly a flood of diamonds were found, diamonds would lose value.
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #36 on: 2016-04-15 14:52:04 »

Well actually, there are a lot of diamonds. They're just like, held back I guess? They don't sell many so that the price can stay high or something like that. But that's also in addition to it being hard to cut and stuff. At least that's what I've heard.

mysteryserpent

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #37 on: 2016-04-15 15:27:37 »

...Evil way to think...but honestly that's pretty smart if they're holding them back. I have heard they are hard to cut. I can't imagine having to try to cut the fancy designs diamond rings have X_X
yasl
Lead Tech

Email
« Reply #38 on: 2016-04-17 07:36:11 »

Not to mention that it's pretty straight-forward to make artificial diamonds.  All industrial diamonds are made this way, and my understanding is that jewellery-grade diamonds are equally manufacturable, but that De Beers and the diamond industry at large have expended great effort to keep artificial diamonds out of commercial jewellery.
RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: 2016-04-17 08:01:25 »

I may be wrong, i got an alert on my phone saying Japan got hit by another magnitude seven quake. I hope it is an old alert.
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #40 on: 2016-04-17 08:03:53 »

Oh damn. Poor Japan.
Those tectonic plates must really be shifting around. Though, if I recall, aren't Japan's buildings built to withstand earthquakes? That really bad one they had a few years ago, wasn't the devastating blow the tsunami and not the earthquake itself? Or am I remembering that wrong.

Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: 2016-04-17 13:49:08 »

It was Equador that got hit by a major quake today.  Over 7.0.

The Ring of Fire around the Pacific is certainly awake right now.  Watch out American west coast.  :-/ 

Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: 2016-04-20 11:45:26 »

What do you guys think of this?  Our $10 and $20 dollars bills are about to change dramatically.

SOURCE

"Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew will announce plans Wednesday to put Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill, following an extended campaign to solicit public input on his initial proposal to put a woman on the front of the $10 bill, according to a Treasury official.

The subplot over what would happen to Alexander Hamilton, who will remain on the $10 bill, often overshadowed the Treasury Department’s campaign to celebrate the contributions of female historical figures.

It isn’t clear when the new $20 note will be introduced into circulation. Currency officials began moving ahead with a redesign of the $10 note in 2013, and that bill won’t be introduced until 2020.

A woman hasn’t appeared on the nation’s paper money in more than a century. Tubman, an escaped slave, became a famous abolitionist and ferried other slaves to freedom through the Underground Railroad. She served as a Union spy during the Civil War."

Thoughts?  Do you think it is good to have bills celebrate occasions, movements, and groups, or is it better to have President's and other founding fathers on them? 
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #43 on: 2016-04-20 13:19:29 »

Oh my god, if they change the $20 bill I'd be so happy! I honestly don't understand why Andrew Jackson was on the bill for, from what I learned in history class he really fudged up the banking system with his "pet banks". I remember hearing about this in economics class, at the times they were thinking about putting that big woman's rights activist, something Anthony? But I think it's pretty cool if Harriet Tubman was put on a bill, she did do a lot for so many escaping slaves. She was a brave woman.

As for the $10 bill... Eh? Do average people even know what Alexander Hamilton did for the country? I mean, they barely talk about him in any of the history classes I've been in. At least with Adrew Jackass they talk about him. So on the topic of whether the $10 should be changed, I'm neutral.

I'm surprised they mention in over a century a woman hasn't been on US currency. Does this mean there has at one point been a female on US currency? I don't recall this, but it is cool if that is true.

Soda
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #44 on: 2016-04-20 14:03:38 »

I for some reason always associate twenties with Andrew Jackson. But changing it is fine I guess. I think it should be a founding father.
Pages: < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 98 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: World News « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024