PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: My Little Pony: The Movie 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Little Pony: The Movie  (Read 18815 times)
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #45 on: 2017-10-02 14:30:55 »

FIRST ROUND OF MLP MOVIE REVIEWS 

There isn't a lot yet, mainly some smaller time reviewers who got early viewings.  Big newspaper reviews will come a tiny bit later.

"Now several years later when the fandom is still surprisingly strong, Lionsgate & Hasbro has released 'My Little Pony: The Movie.' Sadly, this is the best movie Hasbro has ever released.  Rightfully taking every best element from the ‘Friendship is Magic’ series, ‘My Little Pony: The Movie’ is a joyfully inspired TV to film adaptation that brilliantly brings back the magic of what was missing from modern animated cinema: 2D animation." 4/5

"Very entertaining adventure with a lot of charm." A score

"Surprisingly good. Nothing groundbreaking but a damn enjoyable movie that both adults and kids will like." 8/10

"Overall it isn't a deep and mind-blowing piece like some wanted and the plot is kind of recycled but everything else more than makes up for it, and it does earn it's PG rating believe it or not. Also the message at the end is also a bit unconventional for an animated movie. Finally it really feels like a classic hand drawn movie. 8/10"

And lastly some brony - "It would be a 10/10 for a MLP episode but is an 8/10 compared to all the animated movies."
Darrin
Administrator

Email
« Reply #46 on: 2017-10-02 14:39:32 »

Thanks, MasterX.  I want this movie to be a huge success, not only for the fans, but for Hasbro to keep investing in it.

I hope the big time reviews remain positive like these early ones.

Also love it is a return to hand drawn traditional animation.

:):):):):):):):):):)>>> "Green is the New You" -PSF <<<:):):):):):):(:):):)
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #47 on: 2017-10-03 16:36:01 »

Yeah, no problem.  I want it to succeed too.
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: 2017-10-05 18:09:25 »

There are reports of some early showings of this movie in Washington State, Oregon, California, Colorado, and Nevada.  As in they are showing it Oct 5 for the mass demand of bronies?  That's pretty cool.  Release date officially is Oct 6, 2017. 
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #49 on: 2017-10-05 18:58:03 »

ROUND TWO OF MLP MOVIE REVIEWS   

Still early movie reviews.  There are some scathing early reviews, check them out below.  There are also a lot of positive reviews. Current Rotten Tomatoes Score of 70%.

"My Little Pony: The Movie is a candy-colored chunk of pure escapism that outshines the cynicism one might feel for a franchise run by a toy company." - Salt Lake Tribune 3/4

"It's going to leave fans of the series frustrated and everybody else completely baffled." - IGN 3.5/10

"The story, characters, animation, and songs were all great. If you are a fan of the show, I highly recommend it. Even if you haven't seen the show, you might still enjoy it for what it is." - Fandango 5/5

"The animated feature film feels like four episodes of a cartoon strung together. But for fans, it’ll be just right." - The Tacoma Tribune

"The Movie is definitely a hit, as it mixes nostalgic storytelling with modern entertainment, to create a truly magical comedy adventure." - Cinema Blend 3.5/5

"The Movie has plenty to offer viewers of all ages, it does not require prior familiarity with Friendship Is Magic, and it's quite smart." - San Francisco Weekly

"The animated film has what fans of the TV series expect: their favorite ponies on an adventure with occasional songs about friendship and togetherness." St. Louis Post-Dispatch

"I am neither a seven-year-old girl nor a Bronie (look it up), but I can spot a decent film about anthropomorphic miniature horses when I see one." - National Post 3.5/5

"Like its television predecessor, is all dressed up in bubbles and cupcakes and rainbows. But it's so jam-packed with rousing girl power, it passes the Bechdel Test with (literally) flying colors." - TheWrap

"Attention The Emoji Movie: Your status as worst animated feature of the year might well be in jeopardy when My Little Pony: The Movie trots into theaters this weekend." - The Hollywood Reporter

"By the time Storm King growls, "I'm so totally over the cute pony thing," misanthropes might agree. Yet, its sweetness stampedes over the audience's resistance." - Variety

"Some people clearly had a good time making this film. Whether you have a good time watching it depends almost entirely on your Pony love walking in." - San Francisco Gate

"Audiences who haven’t followed the glitter-bomb adventures of bossy bookworm Twilight Sparkle, glamorous Rarity, hyperactive Pinkie Pie, introverted Fluttershy, speed demon Rainbow Dash and country girl Applejack don’t get a helping hoof in understanding the land of Equestria — and audiences saddled with cynicism will have to shake it off by the first chords of the Go-Go’s “We Got the Beat.” - Yahoo

"Most of the film feels like an exercise in creating enough plot to hit the 90-minute mark." - Toronto Star 2/4

"It's always nice when a kid's film aims higher than the bare necessities, especially when it's a beloved property that doesn't have to." - Arizona Republic 3.5/5

"The approach to animated features these days is to create technological spectacle, line up an all-star cast of voice talent and pack the script with jokes for the parents to enjoy. But “My Little Pony: The Movie” zigs where others zag, throwing it back to the old school with its traditional animation and musical structure." - Detroit Free Press

“My Little Pony: The Movie” won’t disrupt the Best Animated Feature category at next year’s Oscars (despite any potential Brony protests), but for a message of friendship, you can do a lot worse." - The Detroit News B score

"There's a lesson in here somewhere. The often self-sufficient and solitary Twilight Sparkle learns the importance of depending on friends and making new ones. Cloying, perhaps, not to mention a little long in getting there. But oh so cute." - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

"In an age of middling, forgettable kid’s movie villains, Shadow stands out as a throwback to the days where magnetic malefactors ruled." - Fatherly B score

"It’s a classic children’s story — parental figures in peril, a misfit group of pals, a hero’s journey and lots of songs along the way to underscore the pertinent message and pad out the running time." Spokane Inland 360

"The pastel prancers in My Little Pony: The Movie strut like 10-year-old schoolgirls, their blow-dried manes and hind-quarter appliques signifying an old-school femininity at quaint odds with other animated grrrl-power heroines today. Unless you’re already a pegasister or a brony, these fillies are an acquired taste." - Austin Chronicle 2/5

« Last Edit: 2017-10-05 18:59:32 by MasterXtreme » Logged
Darrin
Administrator

Email
« Reply #50 on: 2017-10-06 13:16:54 »

Thanks for posting that. It is movie day everyone. Who is going to see it?

Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #51 on: 2017-10-06 22:52:56 »

Come on movie!  Do well!  I can't wait to see it.

Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: 2017-10-09 15:14:32 »

Disappointing returns for the movie after week one.  A very LOW $8.8 million return after the weekend.  Came in fourth place.  To me it didn't make sense to relate this movie the same weekend as Blade Runner... but Blade Runner didn't do as good as they thought either.

Link.
« Last Edit: 2017-10-09 15:15:07 by Silverwing » Logged
Darrin
Administrator

Email
« Reply #53 on: 2017-10-09 15:44:31 »

It is really too bad the film was sort of . . . half-assed in a way to the big screen by Hasbro.  They could have put more into it, but maybe they didn't want too?  Maybe they will be happy with a modest return.  I just feel with as big as MLP is, they could have made this a blockbuster if they wanted to devote the time and money into it.

51% of the viewers are female and 41% are female.  Majority of the people watching thought are over 25 years of age.

Darrin
Administrator

Email
« Reply #54 on: 2017-10-09 15:44:49 »

@Blurr001 , you saw the movie, what did you think?

aka "Numbers"
Master Member

This is not a personal text

WWW Email
« Reply #55 on: 2017-10-09 16:44:38 »

51% of the viewers are female and 41% are female.
No offense, Darrin, but this is hilarious. ;p
« Last Edit: 2017-10-09 16:46:09 by 1234 » Logged

Smileys. Made a list of them. I had nothing better to do.
Soda
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #56 on: 2017-10-09 21:02:14 »

We've known before Darrin and math don't mix.  Remember one of the questions to join the site had the wrong answer for a mathematical question. ;D 
aka "Numbers"
Master Member

WWW Email
« Reply #57 on: 2017-10-09 21:04:13 »

Heheh, I recall. XD

Remember, 51% are FEMALE and 41% are FEMALE. ;p
« Last Edit: 2017-10-09 21:04:54 by 1234 » Logged

Soda
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #58 on: 2017-10-09 21:06:00 »

He probably meant to say 41% male too. ;) 
aka "Numbers"
Master Member

WWW Email
« Reply #59 on: 2017-10-09 21:06:53 »

No kidding. ;)

Pages: < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: My Little Pony: The Movie « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024