PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: World News 0 Members and 11 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 98 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: World News  (Read 298209 times)
RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #180 on: 2016-07-17 10:55:18 »

This is so sad. :(  I support our brothers and sisters in blue. 
HulkbowSMASH

PSF Tourist

Email
« Reply #181 on: 2016-07-17 12:56:42 »

3 Officers Shot to Death, at least 7 injured in Baton Rouge  :(
And another article on the same site:
http://www.wbrz.com/news/12-year-old-fourth-person-charged-in-plot-to-kill-police

I also remember reading that Dallas PD was one department which had been working on improving community relations.  So the sniper targeted cops who were trying to make things better.  Yeah, he sure showed them.

As for Turkey, an interesting take here.  I know, it's Slate.
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #182 on: 2016-07-17 13:09:52 »

Yeah, that'll show them! Trying to actually make things better in the world? Outrageous!

Wolfwood
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #183 on: 2016-07-17 13:11:59 »

One messed up world right now. :(

Turkish President punishes military.

3 Officers killed, 2 suspects at large, 1 dead.

Al Sharpton speaks...

Cleveland uneasy for Republican convention amid recent turmoil.

'Honor Killing' of social media star.

Thailand Rethinks war on drugs.

HulkbowSMASH

PSF Tourist

Email
« Reply #184 on: 2016-07-17 14:37:30 »

"Likewise, the Secret Service says it can handle the spotlight."
Not so secret now, eh?  EH?

Good for Thailand though.
Wolfwood
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #185 on: 2016-07-17 21:09:46 »

We also finally have some info on the shooter.

Gavin Long was from Kansas City, 29 years of age, and went by the name, Cosmo Ausar Setepenra.  He was a former member of the group, Nation of Islam, Louis Farrakhan sect, and a member of the black liberation movement.  In a recent video before his death, he stated he wanted to be affiliated with no one. 
HulkbowSMASH

PSF Tourist

Email
« Reply #186 on: 2016-07-18 07:54:53 »

The online ads funding model seems to provide very perverse incentives to news publishers
Seems we're not alone in questioning it.  This was passed on to me today:

Darrin
Administrator

Email
« Reply #187 on: 2016-07-18 12:02:28 »

Media does fan the flames of racism and hatred towards law enforcement in our country right now, as well as other hot topics.  Ignore any shootings of white on white, or black on black.  Ignore the amounts of gang violence and over 1,000 deaths due to homicide in Chicago alone this year.  That number is higher then almost ever.  The only people fanning the racism is social media, the drive-by media, and sadly, our current administration.

I can say this.  I know race.  I'm a teacher. ;) 

:):):):):):):):):):)>>> "Green is the New You" -PSF <<<:):):):):):):(:):):)
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #188 on: 2016-07-18 12:10:24 »

Secret Document Ease Iran Nuclear Constraints.

Tensions High Between the UK and Russia.

Pokemon GO users stripped of legal rights based on terms of service, most users don't realize it..

Republican Convention In Cleveland Begins, Supports Law Enforcement.
HulkbowSMASH

PSF Tourist

Email
« Reply #189 on: 2016-07-18 12:46:45 »

The country as a whole has spent a long time being very pro-LE, with phrases like "tough on crime" getting approving nods (and election-time votes), resulting in free pass for officers.  Now throw in assorted wars on the citizenry (drugs, terror), access to military equipment for whatever they like, legal protection from any requirement to help members of the public, and "whatever it takes to get home alive" to the general hero worship and you wind up with a clusterfsck of a situation.  There's a huge amount of correction needed.

And of course there's the media problem.  Yes, they do harp on about white-on-black abuses, while often ignoring other combinations.  I don't have statistics in front of me, but I suspect that the majority of white-on-black killings or other assaults haven't been hate-fueled Joe Random white citizens since at least the '70s, leaving either self-defense situations or...cops.  So all this combines to look like it's all white cops abusing black members of the public, when that's far from the whole picture.

Then again, there are lots of things which are far too common to bother reporting on.  Like how you'll hear about plane crashes more often than car crashes, which could give the impression that planes are falling out of the sky at an alarming rate.

Dunno.  I had a point, 'til I lost it after too many RL interruptions.  I think it was something about wanting to see entire issues addressed and solved rather than only partial ones.  Maybe something about not inciting even more violence?  Oh well.  Carry on, everyone.
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #190 on: 2016-07-18 12:49:47 »

Very heated CNN interview between Sheriff David Clarke and CNN's Don Lemon about police violence and "Black Lives Matters."  If you have time to watch these, and want to see two men spar at each other constantly and one get very uncomfortable, I totally advise watching this.  It is great to see the media get pushed into a corner.

He calls out the host. The host, who claims to be unbias, is really pushing their views.  The host is a sham in my mind, based on this "interview," and he  came off as incapable of denouncing hatred and murder.

« Last Edit: 2016-07-18 12:52:25 by AnyPoneDrawn » Logged
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #191 on: 2016-07-18 13:02:52 »

The country as a whole has spent a long time being very pro-LE, with phrases like "tough on crime" getting approving nods (and election-time votes), resulting in free pass for officers.  Now throw in assorted wars on the citizenry (drugs, terror), access to military equipment for whatever they like, legal protection from any requirement to help members of the public, and "whatever it takes to get home alive" to the general hero worship and you wind up with a clusterfsck of a situation.  There's a huge amount of correction needed.

And of course there's the media problem.  Yes, they do harp on about white-on-black abuses, while often ignoring other combinations.  I don't have statistics in front of me, but I suspect that the majority of white-on-black killings or other assaults haven't been hate-fueled Joe Random white citizens since at least the '70s, leaving either self-defense situations or...cops.  So all this combines to look like it's all white cops abusing black members of the public, when that's far from the whole picture.

Then again, there are lots of things which are far too common to bother reporting on.  Like how you'll hear about plane crashes more often than car crashes, which could give the impression that planes are falling out of the sky at an alarming rate.

Dunno.  I had a point, 'til I lost it after too many RL interruptions.  I think it was something about wanting to see entire issues addressed and solved rather than only partial ones.  Maybe something about not inciting even more violence?  Oh well.  Carry on, everyone.

And here's the thing, the past decade after the 1990s, crime has been on the decline.  You can claim it was over policing, and it was true, are jails were and still are overpopulated.  The US jails more people then any other country, legally.  It wasn't until this push back on law enforcement, and the weakening of police forces due to budget cuts, that we started to see crime increase.  2012 was the first year we saw crime officially increase overall.  So is there a tie in between policing budgets, how many people are jailed, and citizenry mindset of law enforcement?  Are our more lax laws on light drugs actually knocking down dominoes and causing more crime in the long run, or down the line?  Would it be better to stop crimes small before then continue down the domino line and get bigger?  I guess this is a question we will have to discuss overtime... and probably when it is too late.
HulkbowSMASH

PSF Tourist

Email
« Reply #192 on: 2016-07-18 14:46:28 »

All it takes to create more criminals is more laws--or misapplication of existing laws.  And secondary effects, like the drug wars creating profitable black markets.  Also, I forgot to include for-profit prisons to the equation in my previous post, which has already revealed kickbacks-for-convictions scams which would obviously obviously skew crime statistics.  There's a lot of assumption about honesty in the system--that crimes being reported are actual crimes, that LE and court systems function as advertised--which only complicates the situation even further.  Time has dimmed my once optimistic view of the legal system.  Good points in your linked articles too.

There are problems enough with the whole mess as to make the mind whirl.  But it's good that discussions are coming of it, since it's harder to fix what everyone either doesn't know about or willingly ignores.  Actions like those of the Dallas sniper are definitely not the right way to bring awareness, but it's to be hoped that they'll be used as a wake-up call for proper change and not for retaliation or other regressions.
mysteryserpent

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #193 on: 2016-07-18 20:25:23 »

World chaos. It's getting to the point where it's unsave to travel between countries :(
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #194 on: 2016-07-18 20:30:44 »

Well, I wouldn't say that.

Just certain countries. Hell I just came back from SA, I'm still in one piece. Mostly. I think.

Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 98 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: World News « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024