PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Steven Universe Discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steven Universe Discussion  (Read 30175 times)
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #60 on: 2016-04-22 07:33:08 »

Yeah but, they don't do it often. They do it every like, year practically because they spend so much time making the episodes. Then they go on hiatus for another 6 months.

And I don't think anyone belittles the work they put Ito each episode when you see how beautiful the animation is.
« Last Edit: 2016-04-22 07:33:40 by LP » Logged

Wolfwood
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #61 on: 2016-09-17 16:10:20 »

So would someone care to explain this episode to me?  It just seemed like an episode that was very confusing and it could have described or alluded to so many things, but... I couldn't tell if I liked it or was grossed out.

So in the episode, we see sexual sex moves by the Gems trying to teach Steven to Fusion.  He eventually accidentally fuzes with his female friend... so they turn into a giant woman thing? 

What the actual f***?  Like... how did this get allowed to pass censors?  This episode is so rife with sexual things.  Then if just gets more awkward as I don't know who is talking, Steven or Connie throughout the episode.  What was this episode's message?  What was it trying to say?  Was it telling us not to get taken advantage of or... what?  Garnet was all for this fusion at a young age, Pearl wasn't... what.... what was this? 

We got fans of the show here that know far more then me.
« Last Edit: 2016-09-17 16:10:36 by Wolfwood » Logged
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #62 on: 2016-09-17 17:26:16 »

That's the point!
Stevonie is both them. It's supposed to feel awkward in this situations. When they're confident they speak as one, when they're not feeling good or confused or awkward they start speaking as individuals. It's showing them splitting apart, no longer in a union.

And as for fusion, it's more along a relationship type thing. It's not sexual per say. It depends. But the only "sexual" move really was when Garnet held Pearl against the wall. But other than that, it's just that. Dancing. It's to help synchronize the two gems or beings into working together and being in the same mind state.

Stevonnie is supposed to represent them both. It's supposed to represent their relationship. Not sexual, but ther trust and closeness to each other. That they're so close they can act as one. But once one isn't in synch, the fusion fails.

The joke is that Pearl thinks it's inappropriate because Steven is fusing with a human. The joke is it alludes to like, young teens having sex. But it's not what it represents. It's just a joke in a way. What Pearl was freaked out about was Steven fusing with a human since gems aren't supposed to be able to fuse with humans. Garnet was happy because Steven was able to experience something wonderful, being able to be so in synch with someone that he achieved fusion. Something they weren't sure he could do.
« Last Edit: 2016-09-17 17:28:31 by LP » Logged

Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #63 on: 2016-09-17 22:58:01 »

So weird you are talking about this episode.  I just watched it today and didn't know what to think.  I thought it was really weird and all I was thinking is that this was a big episode on underage sex.  I did think of relationships a bit, but the first thought dominated.  I couldn't tell what I thought of the episode, it was just overall really awkward.  It could almost come off a brilliant of a jumbled mess with too many possible meanings.  It could come off as lazy and poorly executed.

Because there was something going on there with that guy at the dance, he wanted some of Stevonnie.... and what made it creepier is that they were both underage kids, and Stevonnie was partially a guy.... And then when the broke a part, everyone was just... chill with that?

Lars and his girlfriend, that was awkward too.  I couldn't tell who of Stevonnie was talking in that scene, and Lar's girlfriend even seemed to like her? 

So I was at odds with this one.  I'd never seen it before.
« Last Edit: 2016-09-17 23:00:02 by Grapefoot » Logged

Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #64 on: 2016-09-17 23:22:26 »

Lazy and poorly executed? I don't think so. I thought it was a rather beautiful episode. It wasn't about underage sex or any of that. Heck, Steven is only 13 in that episode. Hardly sexually mature at all.

The part with the teen dude at the dance was meant to be creepy. It supposed to sort of represent that with being older while it's great, there's also unpleasant stuff. Like people expecting stuff of you that you don't want or making advances on you when you don't understating why they would. The guy doesn't know they're two kids much less that Stevonnie is part guy, and the second they unfuse he freaks out and leaves saying "that's two kids! I'm out!". Everyone else already knows Steven and he does weird Gem shit. So they're just like whatever. The audience is privy to information some on screen characters aren't aware of. Kevin (the guy hitting on Stevonnie) doesn't know about Steven or the gems, he didn't realize they were two kids until the defused, or that Stevonnie is partially a guy. We know that. But he didn't. Which makes the scene more creepy for us. Don't get me wrong, Kevin is still a dick bag for continuing to bother a young girl to do something she didn't want despite her feeling uncomfortable and telling him to leave her alone.

Lars and Sadie aren't an item... They've at most have had sex with each other, but they're not in a relationship. And again, the scenes that are awkward are meant to be awkward because it's an awkward situation. Is there like, something wrong with Sadie being attracted to what she believes is a pretty young girl that looks around her age? Stevonnie is neither male or female it seems, but I feel in terms of appearance does look like a chick more. Hence why Lars was all "whaaa". As for who's speaking, it's Stevonnie speaking. Like when Garnet speaks, it's not either Ruby or Saphire, it's Garnet. It's both of them, because they are in unison. There's moments where Stevonnie is talking between the two people composing the fusion, but through context you can tell, or does it matter? Does it matter who asked "are you okay" and "we can stop if you want" if both are very likely to have said it.
« Last Edit: 2016-09-17 23:24:31 by LP » Logged

RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #65 on: 2016-09-17 23:26:44 »

Wow, what do you mean Lars and Sadie aren't in a relationship?  They totally are.  They totally have an odd spark.  I haven't seen the latest episodes, but from what I've seen, they totally had a thing going. 
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #66 on: 2016-09-17 23:29:29 »

Lars has explicitly stated he and Sadie aren't girlfriend boyfriend. Multiple times, I think. And pretty aggressively.
Sadie wants there to be, hence her actions in the Island Adventure. And I agree they have a spark, and have had sex if Sadie's awkward phrasing and quick agreeing when Steven misunderstood her wording is to be believed. But they aren't in a relationship. Apparently what happened that night didn't happen again. And while they care for each other, they're not official.
« Last Edit: 2016-09-17 23:30:01 by LP » Logged

RainySunshine
SCM Member

WWW Email
« Reply #67 on: 2016-09-17 23:33:08 »

Well, Lar's did enthusiastically decide to go over to Sadie's... and I think that was him opening up to... well... try to be in more of a relationship. 
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #68 on: 2016-09-17 23:38:14 »

In which episode? A more recent one, yeah, because they seem to be repairing their relationship after the ending of Island Adventure where they kind of blew up at each other. But he was also trying to get off work. He does seem to like Sadie, but at the same time doesn't want to pursue it(?). Lars is a weird guy, and I honestly love his character. And his interactions with Sadie always make me happy. I agree they are becoming closer and all, with Lars in an older episode only joining a movie night because he heard Ronaldo was going there with Sadie. So... It's weird. And complicated. But he's a bit of a complicated guy himself. He's a jerk, but he's a very self conscious jerk.

RainySunshine
SCM Member

WWW Email
« Reply #69 on: 2016-09-17 23:40:41 »

I think Lars doesn't pursue it because deep down he is kind of afraid too.  There is some underlying thing, and you brought up what I was going too, with Ronaldo and Sadie.

Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #70 on: 2016-09-17 23:44:37 »

I actually really dislike Ronaldo. He's really annoying to me. There's also the fact that he tried to freaking murder somebody, "It should've been you!!" and didn't apologize for it. But he is fun at times, and his relationship with his dad is sweet when it's glanced at.

I find it interesting that even from a young, what's supposed to be carefree age, that Lars was very self conscious about his image. Usually kids don't care about that stuff, from my knowledge... But yeah. He seems to get easily embarrassed and flustered. While I really don't like the whole "jerk mask facade" thing, as its old and overused, I feel it's slightly different with him. Because even in private he's still a jerk XD just a little less of one.

RainySunshine
SCM Member

WWW Email
« Reply #71 on: 2016-09-17 23:47:29 »

Lars live in his own private hell.  He only seems to break out of it at times when he is with Sadie, and a few times he's bonded with Steven.

Ronaldo.  I like totally know him, he's believable.  But yeah... he did try to murder someone, that is an issue. 
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #72 on: 2016-09-17 23:51:07 »

Yeah, he seems to be a vulnerable character. Like when he broke down and cried in front of Sadie and asked her a very open question. That was sweet. And then the times he's let a little loose with Steven. He can be a nice guy, but he has a jerk type personality. Which is coo. Apparently his parents also fear him a bit, so I'm guessing he also has anger issues and shizz.

I honesty laughed when in a newer episode his dad reveals he has Heelies XD that just killed me. Like, give the kid 10 points back, that was great. And he got a bit of karma when his girlfriend dumped him. Though that felt a bit unfair maybe.

RainySunshine
SCM Member

WWW Email
« Reply #73 on: 2016-09-17 23:54:23 »

Yeah, he seems to be a vulnerable character. Like when he broke down and cried in front of Sadie and asked her a very open question. That was sweet. And then the times he's let a little loose with Steven. He can be a nice guy, but he has a jerk type personality. Which is coo. Apparently his parents also fear him a bit, so I'm guessing he also has anger issues and whizz.

I know, it gets real there.  People sometimes just assume that guys can't be emotional, but he really broke down in that scene, and it really added depth to him.  It was a sweet moment.

Lol, poor Ronaldo!  Can't catch a break. 
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #74 on: 2016-09-17 23:58:30 »

That's what I like about the show. Even its side characters are pretty well developed without going the Adventure Time route and having /too/ many side or background characters developed without much central focus to the man characters. Steven helps keep it anchored. And while it's maybe more surprising to see guys show emotion, it was pretty heartfelt there. Very powerful emotion, he was just so sad and lost feeling. It was a good moment.

Yeah, poor guy. He's gotten better though. Or maybe it's just he's not in the focus as much haha.

Pages: < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Steven Universe Discussion « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024