PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Zootopia 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zootopia  (Read 47600 times)
HulkbowSMASH

PSF Tourist

Email
« Reply #165 on: 2016-06-29 20:30:42 »

Actually, what's clever about it is that for one, it directly gives a reason for the characters to be anthros instead of human, and for another it allows interpretation to just about any sort of conflict over differences.  This also helps keep it from coming across as proselytizing.

I like the other message in it, which the pred/prey thing seems to overshadow:  Don't let fear of failure keep you from trying.  A bit better encouragement than the "award for participating" thing which I hope is fading away.
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #166 on: 2016-06-29 20:44:26 »

I like the message of you don't succeed because of your flaws, you succeed in spite of them.

Which is something many Tumblerinas don't seem to understand. Overall it's just such a great movie. I dislike it when people don't want to watch it soley because it's talked about a lot. Just such petty reasons.

HulkbowSMASH

PSF Tourist

Email
« Reply #167 on: 2016-06-29 22:03:48 »

Lotsa positive stuff in there, done well.  And messages aside, it's fun and full of eye candy.  I'm still completely enamored with all the detail put in it, from subtle character gestures and expressions to the rich backgrounds.  I rewatched Meet The Robinsons recently and it seems like claymation in comparison now.

And if people are avoiding it only because it's popular, their loss! :)
HulkbowSMASH

PSF Tourist

Email
« Reply #168 on: 2016-06-30 20:55:03 »

http://www.matthiaslechner.com/zootopia.html

*artgasm*
NostradamusTheSeer
Prolific Member

Skillfully controls the flow of Miss Information

WWW Email
« Reply #169 on: 2016-07-14 07:31:14 »

I've watched this movie twice now!  I really love it.  Jeez.  It's good and it has such heavy racial undertones.
I know right?

Especially the part where when Judy tells Clawhauser that rabbits are allowed to use the word "cute" among themselves, but other animals can't say it.   And her line "Sir, I'm not just some token bunny."  In reality, there are height requirements for police officers (5'7", I believe, is the cutoff), but as we see in the chase scene through the mouse suburb, a smaller officer like Judy would be able to negotiate the neighborhood better and cause only minimal damage, whereas the larger animals would utterly wreck streets and buildings in a foot chase.
« Last Edit: 2016-07-14 07:32:03 by NostradamusTheSeer » Logged

Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #170 on: 2016-07-14 08:18:15 »

I believe it was only other bunnies could call a bunny cute. Definitely an allusion to N word privileges there. And then there's the whole tokeninity.

NostradamusTheSeer
Prolific Member

WWW Email
« Reply #171 on: 2016-07-14 08:39:50 »

Also, the scene with Nick and Bellwether in which, only moments after meeting her, he touches and strokes her hair.  The way he comments how soft it is while practically drooling comes off pretty creepy to start with, and if you know that the fox is a sheep's natural enemy, that makes it even worse.  Bellwether was wisely keeping quiet... at this point, you think she's just meek and timid and afraid of the strange predator pawing her head; after you realize what she is really up to, though, you see this scene in a different light. She's like an old racist woman in close quarters with an unintentionally-offending African-American man, who must be doing everything in her power to refrain from taking a pen from her coffee cup and stabbing Nick in the throat with it.

Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #172 on: 2016-07-14 08:48:55 »

Lol, and we never see Bellweather's face during all this. Nick is actually kind of funny with how giddy he is at touching a sheep's wool, "sheep never let me get this close!".

Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #173 on: 2016-07-14 09:53:58 »

This is a fascinating film for all the points you guys are bringing up.  It is a work of art, and that link to some of the art is drool material.  Amazing. 
RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #174 on: 2016-07-17 10:47:40 »

Lol, and we never see Bellweather's face during all this. Nick is actually kind of funny with how giddy he is at touching a sheep's wool, "sheep never let me get this close!".

It was them oat emotion he showed in the film.  He was so happy. 
NostradamusTheSeer
Prolific Member

WWW Email
« Reply #175 on: 2016-07-17 11:18:17 »

Yeah... but I'm all, "Dude... personal space, ever hear of it?...."

I was also glad to learn Mauriche LaMarche, who has lent his voice to every other beloved character of our collective misbegotten youths, was Mr. Big.  "A rug made from the butt of a skunk. A skunk-butt- rug".  This isn't the first time he's voiced a vermin crime boss-- you may remember his turn as The Godpigeon.

Incidentally, I couldn't help but noticed there are no anthro fish or insects in Zootopia.  I guess there has to be some source of meat in this brave new world of beasts, and somebody had to lose out.  Look close at the city backgrounds and you'll notice a few shops advertising seafood. So... does this mean the fish feel the pain as they are being filleted? Are sentient bugs being eaten with no regard to their screams for mercy? 

RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #176 on: 2016-07-17 11:20:09 »

Incidentally, I couldn't help but noticed there are no anthro fish or insects in Zootopia.  I guess there has to be some source of meat in this brave new world of beasts, and somebody had to lose out.  Look close at the city backgrounds and you'll notice a few shops advertising seafood. So... does this mean the fish feel the pain as they are being filleted? Are sentient bugs being eaten with no regard to their screams for mercy?

Actually good questions you brought up.  Clearing Finding Nemo isn't in this world.  Lol! 
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #177 on: 2016-07-17 11:22:43 »

Haha, I think the movie people said only Mammals, birds and reptiles. Even though only mammals are shown.
But yes, fish and insects are what the predators eat. I'm guessing it's going by the "no cartoon fish" rule. *shrugs*

NostradamusTheSeer
Prolific Member

WWW Email
« Reply #178 on: 2016-07-17 12:23:44 »

I figure reptiles and amphibians, being cold-blooded, prefer warmer climes. If Judy and Nick live in the equivalent of New York City, the frogs, toads, salamanders, alligators, crocodiles, lizards, and snakes must all be in an environment similar to Louisiana or coastal Mississippi, perhaps even Central America --plenty of jungles and swamps.  Birds would logically live in treetop "high-rises" (although flightless birds might still live and work on the ground, however-- an ostrich's land speed rivals that of a horse, which would make for an ideal police officer). Sequel hook, anybody?....

HulkbowSMASH

PSF Tourist

Email
« Reply #179 on: 2016-07-17 12:31:02 »

It was them oat emotion
Wat.

Incidentally, I couldn't help but noticed there are no anthro fish or insects in Zootopia.  I guess there has to be some source of meat in this brave new world of beasts, and somebody had to lose out.  Look close at the city backgrounds and you'll notice a few shops advertising seafood.
https://twitter.com/thejaredbush/status/659005573338259456
https://twitter.com/_rich_moore/status/702190088583835654
https://twitter.com/ByronPHoward/status/709639540877557760

3/3 for insects, 1/3 for fish.  I'm sure the screams of insects are like music to hungry carnivores!  Meanwhile, I"m still trying to figure out how to make hamburgers out of hay, not to mention why ponies would even think to do that in the first place.
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Zootopia « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024