PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: Talk To LP (In Peru) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: Talk To LP (In Peru)  (Read 10571 times)
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« on: 2016-06-05 16:33:50 »

I figured this topic would be good to share directly with LP since she is in Peru with poor internet and doesn't want to probably have to bounce around.  We can talk to her directly here, ask questions, etc.  :D
RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: 2016-06-05 16:34:13 »

Good idea. :D  Hey, LP! 
aka "Numbers"
Master Member

This is not a personal text

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: 2016-06-05 16:34:30 »

Good idea. :D

So! How's the weather, LP? ;)

Smileys. Made a list of them. I had nothing better to do.
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: 2016-06-05 16:34:38 »

So you have wifi or a plug in at this apartment you are at?

How is the neighborhood you are in?  Whats out the window?
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #4 on: 2016-06-05 16:49:12 »

Oh wow, this is nice. Thanks, MasterX.

The weather is hot and humid. When it's cloudy it's bearable, but when the suns out you sweat a lot. But again, it's bearable. It's not as hot as I thought it would be.

As for Internet, it's wifi that I use on phone. Neighborhood is quiet, simple dirt road the house is on. Pavement everywhere else, but it's somewhat shoddy. Only one main road that's in relatively good condition. Out the win do be dark and stuff.

RainySunshine
SCM Member

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: 2016-06-05 16:59:54 »

Has it rained on you?

Hmmm.  I was using Google Maps and Streetview to look at Iquitos.  It seems the nicest, most well kept part of the city is around this plaza called, Plaza de Armas.  It seems to be the el centro of the city.  I could be wrong.  But it does seem to be well kept up.  Even still, a lot of buildings are pretty rough and in bad shape. 

From that plaza I was just talking about, there is a "tall" blue building there.  I can't tell what it is.  There is an armed guard or police officer in front, but the building looks to be in pretty bad shape.  I can't tell the material, but I can see that there is very basic plank wood on this structure too, and it appears to be dark, no power, broken windows, and partially boarded up.

See, things grab my attention and interest me!
RainySunshine
SCM Member

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: 2016-06-05 17:03:41 »

I am fascinating myself exploring this city!  I found this really nice park, that the government spent a lot of money on with nice trees, benches, sculptures.  Yet at the same time, the roads all around this park are just dirt, bad shape, and the homes are pretty mixed bag.  Truly a developing city still. 

It is just weird to see some areas are modern and others are developing still.  A fine example is the park or Plaza de Armas being modern.  They have modern functions like that cop in front of the blue building, yet they have grey area economies, and human rights issues at the same time.  Some things seem to point to modernity, while other still lack.  I love the contrast and I am having a bunch of fun exploring. 
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: 2016-06-05 17:04:46 »

You guys make food or do you go to a restaurant? 

Have you started making yourself at home with any little habits?  Such as going to a specific grocer for food, or a special area to relax? :D  I know I do that when I am places for extended periods. 

You guys being good guests?  :D 
Soda
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: 2016-06-05 17:07:31 »

You speaking Spanish down there or how are you communicating?

Any good food you've had so far?  I assume you guys are walking everywhere or taking "motos?" 
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: 2016-06-05 17:10:11 »

You have contrasts there.  Poverty, and some non poverty.  It isn't a modern city, but it has aspects of modernity.  It's working it's way up. :)  It is also the largest city in the world that cannot be accessed by road.  It has over 430,000 people. 
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #10 on: 2016-06-05 17:48:25 »

Well, there's a Plaza de Armas in every city. There's always a cathedral, the municipal building and another one I'm forgetting there along with a plaza and usually a fountain. It's, like you said, usually the most well kept part of any city as its pretty important, and kind of were the main person in charge lives.

That tall blue building, it looks like it burned down but it wasn't. It used to be a hospital. It was badly designed according to the family I'm staying with.

Again, Plaza De Armas is the most well kept piece of any city down here. It's the heart and is home to several important buildings. It has to look nice, otherwise it's a shame. The cop is probably there to ensure no one sneaks in. Cops are kind of useless down here in Peru. And most are very corrupt.

Do we make our own food? Haha, what do you take us for :P We're Latinos, of course we cook our own food. Restaurants are for shmucks. Little habits? Not really, I just got here like 2 days ago. I mostly stay indoors, Monday I start working. Today I visited an animal refuge, I got to see manatee babies that were rescued from people who captured them and kept as pets. I do respect that law enforcement is actually good on that, when there is a tip, law enforcement and the CREA workers go and confiscate the animal and bring it to the refuge to care for it.

(I hope I'm being a good guest lol.)

Yeppers, Soda, I speak fluent Spanish. The Spanish they speak here is slightly different, same words, but the inflection is very different. It's very sing song where the words flow together. It's not like they mash up their words (like say y'all for instance), but they keep making sound in the spaces between words if that makes sense.

And tons of good food, the family I'm staying with eats so much ^^; like, they have lunch late, then we just had dinner now. It's kind of overwhelming haha, and I don't want to be rude and say I don't want to eat. They're being so nice and hospitable. They gave me their daughters bed, they're like being crazy nice. And mostly motos, walking is only for 1-2 blocks.

Cannot be accessed by road? What do you mean by that? I mean, I did have to take a plan to get here, does that mean it's the only way to reach the city? I know to reach other places nearby you have to use the river. And the shortest trip is 18 hours. Most trips take days. And wow, that's a lot of people!

Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: 2016-06-05 19:41:55 »

Cannot be accessed by road? What do you mean by that? I mean, I did have to take a plan to get here, does that mean it's the only way to reach the city? I know to reach other places nearby you have to use the river. And the shortest trip is 18 hours. Most trips take days. And wow, that's a lot of people!

I looked it up, Iquitos can only be reached by boat or plane.  No driving. 

Thank you for such informative answers!  Very good and I am learning a lot from you.  The language bit in how you said it is "sing songy" is interesting to me too. :)  Thats so cool. 

Wow!  I also checked out that blue building... yikes.

Beautiful church at the Plaza de Armas!
RainySunshine
SCM Member

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: 2016-06-05 19:44:54 »

I'm learning so much from your responses and thank you for even asking.  That building just interested me as I drove around that beautiful plaza and then saw it.  I had to scoot over to it. :)

So what is the job you start? 

Lucky too that you get such great food.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-05 19:45:14 by RainySunshine » Logged
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: 2016-06-05 21:48:27 »

Those were good questions and great answers.  I find this really enjoyable and educational!

I have a question!  What were your perceptions coming to this city beforehand and what, if any of those perceptions have lived up to that?

Do you feel safe in the city? 
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: 2016-06-05 21:54:57 »

Great answers, thank you, LP. :D 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: Talk To LP (In Peru) « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024