PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Cancelled Dreamworks film 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cancelled Dreamworks film  (Read 3269 times)
Sneeze_Sleuth_29

Snouts are cool. And nose rubs :3

WWW Email
« on: 2019-07-07 21:20:40 »

https://youtu.be/T2i6j0UgWZ4

There was suppose to be a musical based in Australia with animals in it that coulda been pretty sweet. Unfortunately, it was cancelled in place of Boss Baby.

I do have a crush on the female canine (i would say dingo, but the canines have this other name for their species that i forgot)

I'll take a sneezefic, and WRITE IT!
Darrin
Administrator

Email
« Reply #1 on: 2019-07-08 14:40:58 »

That looks cool but who knows why they canned it... Maybe they thought audiences would think it was  too similar to Zootopia at the time?  I'm moving this topic to the film discussion board. 

:):):):):):):):):):)>>> "Green is the New You" -PSF <<<:):):):):):):(:):):)
Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: 2019-07-08 18:06:20 »

I didn't know about this.  Interesting overly exaggerated expressions they did. 

Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: 2019-07-10 14:50:26 »

Never heard about it.  I'm surprised, because usually I am all on this stuff.  Wonder what movie they went with instead?
Sneeze_Sleuth_29

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: 2019-07-10 14:57:02 »

Never heard about it.  I'm surprised, because usually I am all on this stuff.  Wonder what movie they went with instead?

..........boss baby

Sneeze_Sleuth_29

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: 2019-07-10 14:57:31 »

..........boss baby

It reminds me of the time sony turned down a popeye movie for the emoji movie

Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: 2019-07-10 15:07:34 »

Ugh!!! Why did they do Boss Baby instead?  Such a 'boringly generic' film.  This had promise. Too bad they didn't do it... but maybe someday they will come back to it?

I guess it comes down to this though.  We don't know what was going on behind the scenes with this movie.  They had to have had a good reason to choose Boss Baby over it in the end, especially if they had already been doing rough character work and animation.  It had to have been a major reason.

As for Sony's decision, I think they were drunk in that case.... they felt Popeye wouldn't reach a younger audience maybe since he is from a different era... and Emoji's were so "hip."  :P
mysteryserpent

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: 2019-07-10 22:14:34 »

Sony has very low lows, and good highs.

With all the footage still existing, and even a short short film based on this film that was made, there is hope that this film could appear later in the future =) I wouldn't bet on anything in the near future though X_X Who knows what goes on in Sony's corporate mind these days.
Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: 2019-07-11 16:14:57 »

Sony's corporate mind is spending a ton of money on their camera division.  They've gone from a non-player to now in possibly the top league with Nikon and Canon.

Soda
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: 2019-07-11 16:35:53 »

I love how her nostrils flare when she gets angry. 

I bet this will comeback one day.  Dreamworks might make it happen. 
Soda
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: 2019-07-11 16:36:29 »

What is this movie even called?  It's no where in the title or OP post?
Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: 2019-07-11 16:41:34 »

It's called 'Larrikins.' 

The film was cancelled but turned into a short film called, "Bilby." 

It was set for a February 16, 2018 release, before it was announced cancelled on March 5, 2017.

Had it been made, it would have been the first DreamWorks Animation film to be distributed by Universal Pictures, whose parent company NBCUniversal acquired DreamWorks Animation in 2016. This was the second 2018 DreamWorks Animation film to be cancelled, the other being The Croods 2 (until September 17, 2017, when it got put put back into production).

It was turned into the short film Bilby.

So this may be okay.  The film was made into a short film you can watch... and the Cancelled Croods 2 came back to life.  So it isn't out the the equation that if they had faith in this film it could come back too.

So anyways, the assets for the film were used in Bilby, of which you can see part of below.  To see the real short film, go support them.

Article info....  I bolded key parts.

For the last four years, Australian comedian, singer, actor, director and composer Tim Minchin has been developing the DreamWorks animation musical, Larrikins. After a couple of years of hard work and hiring Hugh Jackman, Margot Robbie, Ben Mendelsohn, Naomi Watts, and Rose Byrne to provide voices for the movie, DreamWorks has shut the project down. Minchin and co-director Chris Miller‘s (Shrek the Third) film was going to be about a marsupial exploring the Australian Outback for the first time and discovering a life-altering secret.

Larrikins was scheduled to come out February 2018. According to Deadline‘s source, new DreamWorks decided to not move forward with the project once they thought “creatively it just wasn’t working out well.” The story, which Harry Cripps (Supernova) wrote, followed a marsupial named Bilby who’s only ever live under a rock. One day, his parents kick him out, forcing him to live his life for once and go on a road trip with a band. The band would’ve been playing music composed by Minchin, who worked on Matilda The Musical and a musical adaptation of Groundhog Day.

The other night Minchin was performing a show in New York City. In a blog post about the event, he mentioned Larrikins was shut down by the studio’s new executives.

It was DreamWorks that asked Minchin to direct Larrikins a few years ago. As they were discussing ideas for the project – which Minchin compared to Star Wars and The Gods Must Be Crazy –  DreamWorks suggested Minchin direct it. Unfortunately, the co-director, who grew up in Western Australia, now probably won’t get to show audiences the “spell-binding and heart-stoppingly beautiful” (animated) vast Australian Outback he wanted to portray in the film.

« Last Edit: 2019-07-11 16:47:27 by Rainberry » Logged

Soda
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: 2019-07-11 16:47:49 »

You are a wealth of info, Raine.  Thanks.  Your explanation should be the OP, lol.
Y31

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: 2019-07-12 13:12:36 »

I'm late to the discussion but I really want this film to be made!  I will support it opening weekend (and I NEVER see films opening weekend).
Darrin
Administrator

Email
« Reply #14 on: 2019-07-12 14:37:37 »

I'm late to the discussion but I really want this film to be made!  I will support it opening weekend (and I NEVER see films opening weekend).

You can see the short film, Bilby.  Same thing, but shorter. 

:):):):):):):):):):)>>> "Green is the New You" -PSF <<<:):):):):):):(:):):)
Pages: [1] 2 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Cancelled Dreamworks film « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024