PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: World News 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 98 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: World News  (Read 298247 times)
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #105 on: 2016-06-22 21:17:59 »

With Europe so fragile right now, and about to be either more fragile or not, anything can happen.  :-/  I would not want to live in Europe right now.  They got a lot of problems and the poo is about to hit the fan.  You got the refugee and immigration problems, as well as the radical Islamic terrorists ready to start attacking Europe from their hotbed in Libya. 
« Last Edit: 2016-06-22 21:19:08 by MasterXtreme » Logged
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #106 on: 2016-06-23 21:08:48 »

So it looks like Britain is going to vote to get out of the European Union. 

I am both happy for Britain, our best ally, but also worried.  World stock markets are going to tank tomorrow, and I am worried what will happen to Europe as a whole.  As American's, our government needs to immediately unite and support our British allies like they have done for us so many times... sadly I feel Obama and his administration won't do that. 

We need to set up vigorous trade agreements to help both our economies more, not that Britain is free to control their own economic future more, and devote it all to themselves and not the EU.  They can also control they immigration once again.
Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #107 on: 2016-06-24 00:07:10 »

CNN highlights five major reasons the UK leaving the EU will hurt the EU.

Economy, Diplomacy, their military, ideology, and the union they have with others... which can be tied to diplomacy. 

Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #108 on: 2016-06-24 12:44:52 »

Prime Minister David Cameron resigns as Britain votes to leave EU.
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #109 on: 2016-06-24 17:26:34 »

Well, they did it. GB has left the EU.
Britain just likes being alone doesn't it. My friend says the pound will drop in value, but it should stabilize (hopefully) as it's something that's a given. I think they're also going to tighten security at the Northern Ireland border or something.

I wonder what GB will call the day they left. Independence Day is already taken :P

yasl
Lead Tech

Email
« Reply #110 on: 2016-06-24 18:29:02 »

I think it's a shame.  London will probably decline a bit, particularly as its financial services sector contracts.

I'd have much preferred to see the introduction of real, vigorous democracy in the EU (more power vested in the Parliament, less in the Commission) but I fear that the departure of the UK will only hasten the EU's ongoing spiral into a mire of hopeless bureaucracy.

That assumes that Brexit doesn't catalyze the EU to fall apart entirely in the next 10-20 years, which would be an awful outcome for the West, and is more or less Putin's wettest dream.

@Silverwing: A pan-Anglo trade deal seems modestly likely, and I think it would be a very good thing on the whole, though I do fear it could promote further insularity if relied on too heavily.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-24 18:30:15 by yasl » Logged
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #111 on: 2016-06-24 18:37:15 »

The EU has been doomed for awhile honestly, and this was a main pillar that left the foundation.  Putin is really excited about this development and has certainly viewed all his options.  Not just Putin, but other outside people who want the West to crumble. 

@ Yasl.  I understand that.  But the EU definitely needs to keep trade going with incentives to Britain and yeah, same with the US. 
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #112 on: 2016-06-24 18:56:13 »

Well, apparently GB has been getting trade deals all over the place, so that doesn't seem to be an issue. Let's hope the other issues they have and have catalyzed in the EU don't lead to terrible things. And don't lead to the rise of Putinism.

MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #113 on: 2016-06-24 19:40:41 »

Earlier, I feel what I said seemed very negative or fearful of Britain's leaving of the EU.  Yes, it is a scary unknown, but I am actually happy in the short term.  A rise of nationalism for our great friends.  They pride themselves in independence, much like we American's do.  We are of the same family generally speaking. ;)  So Britain leaving the EU is a big smack down in the face of Globalism, One world order folks, Obama, Hillary, and progressives.
RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #114 on: 2016-06-24 20:06:34 »

At this moment in time, the person who came out on of Brexit are Donald Trump and the British people.  But it won't be easy being independent again.  It's going to take a lot of hard work, something Britain knows how to do!  Barely a century ago, they had an empire that spanned the entire world.  Never did the sun set on their empire.

Here are some reactions from people below about Britain's leave from the EU. 

The EU's leadership has demanded Britain activate Article 50 exit talks "as soon as possible" as they attempt to end the uncertainty over the bloc, "however painful that process may be".  "Any delay would unnecessarily prolong uncertainty. We have rules to deal with this in an orderly way," it said. Donald Tusk, president of the European Council, earlier said: "We are determined to keep our unity as 27 ... I will propose that we start a period of wider reflection on the future of our union," adding: "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."

German Chancellor Angela Merkel voiced regret at the decision to leave the European Union, calling it a "blow" to Europe. "We take note of the British people's decision with regret. There is no doubt that this is a blow to Europe and to the European unification process," she said.

Obama urged Britain to remain in the EU when he visited London in April and warned that a trade agreement between the two countries would not happen anytime soon if Britain left the bloc. But on Friday, President Barack Obama released a brief statement, saying the US respected the decision, and that the relationship between the two countries was "enduring". He added: "The United Kingdom and the European Union will remain indispensable partners of the United States even as they begin negotiating their ongoing relationship to ensure continued stability, security, and prosperity for Europe, Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and the world." However, the White House on Friday night said that the president stood by his warning that Britain would move to the back of the queue when it comes to trade deals.

The Pentagon said it was confident that defence ties with Britain would continue and that U.S. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter spoke with his counterpart, Michael Fallon, by phone after Britain voted to leave the European Union.

Vladimir Putin has said Britain's vote to leave the EU reflects growing concerns about immigration and security. Speaking to reporters, the Russian president also said the vote is a response to unhappiness with Brussels bureaucracy. Mr Putin said Brexit would have both "positive and negative" consequences for Russia and the rest of the world, but that he expected markets to stabilise from the initial shock.

French President Francois Hollande said he profoundly regrets the decision, but that the union must make changes in order to move forward. He said, "To move forward, Europe cannot act as before."

"We hope Britain and the EU can reach a negotiated agreement at an early date. A prosperous and stable Europe is in all sides' interests," a Chinese foreign ministry spokesman has said, warning there would be “impacts on all sides” from the vote. "Britain's decision to leave the EU has prised off the first brick from the mansion of globalisation," added Xinhua, the Chinese state news agency.

Paolo Gentiloni, the foreign minister in Italy, said that Britain would remain an ally, despite the vote.

Carl Bildt, the former Swedish prime minister, has predicted chaos "beyond comprehension" after the result. He noted that the Zimbabwean dollar was gaining on sterling.  Annie Lööv, the leader of Sweden's Centre Party, called the vote "a day of mourning. A nightmare".

Geert Wilders, the leader of an anti-immigration party, called for a referendum on the Netherlands' EU membership following the British result. "We want be in charge of our own country, our own money, our own borders, and our own immigration policy," he said.

The British territory voted by 19,322 votes to 823 to stay in the EU, meaning 96 per cent of the electorate chose Remain. Turnout was 84 per cent. Just minutes after the referendum result was confirmed, Spanish Foreign Minister José Manuel García-Margallo took the opportunity to propose shared sovereignty with the UK over Gibraltar. 

Turkey has expressed disappointment over the UK's vote to leave the European Union.

Britain's vote to leave the European Union has very significant implications for Ireland, the Irish government said ahead of an emergency cabinet meeting on Friday. Britain is by far the largest trading partner for Ireland and any loss of access to the UK market would be devastating for the country's economy.

We must respect the choice that a majority of the British people have made. At the same time, I won’t hide the fact that I think it is a very sad result for Europe and for Denmark,” said Lars Lokke Rasmussen, the prime minister.

Poland’s foreign minister said the British vote “is bad news for Europe and bad news for Poland.”

“The British voters have spoken and that’s the way it is,” said Norwegian prime minister Erna Solberg, the prime minister. She also warned that the decision will be "a boost for extreme forces that want less cooperation in Europe." Solberg whose country is not an EU member, said Friday they are "anti-establishment, anti-globalization, anti-EU forces (...) that can be pretty extreme."

Malcolm Turnbull, Australia’s prime minister, has told Australians not to panic over the Brexit decision  as the local share market slumped. He said Australia’s relationship with Britain would remain “as close as any two nations' relations could be”.

Shinzo Abe, the Japanese prime minister, said financial markets need to be stabilised in the aftermath of Britain's vote to leave the European Union, with the yen surging against other currencies and Japanese stocks plunging. "We must respond firmly", the prime minister said in a speech in northern Japan on Friday. "The foreign exchange market and other financial markets need to be stabilized". There are also concerns in Tokyo that Britain's departure from the EU will affect negotiations on a free trade agreement between Europe and Japan, Kyodo News reported, with Motoo Hayashi, the trade and industry minister, admitting completing a deal before the end of the years has "become difficult".

South Korea reacted to Britain's decision to leave the European Union by announcing that it is willing to consider a bilateral free trade deal with the UK.

Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli prime minister, has released a statement on Cameron's resignation: "I have great appreciation for Prime Minister David Cameron, a respected leader and a true friend of Israel and the Jewish people. "Throughout his premiership the security, economic and technological cooperation between the United Kingdom and Israel has greatly expanded. 

Donald Trump hailed Britain's vote to leave the EU as "fantastic" shortly after arriving in Scotland on Friday for his first international trip since becoming the presumptive Republican presidential nominee.

Presumptive Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton pointed to the stunning Brexit vote as yet another reason why she should be elected president. "This time of uncertainty only underscores the need for calm, steady, experienced leadership in the White House to protect Americans' pocketbooks and livelihoods, to support our friends and allies, to stand up to our adversaries, and to defend our interests," she said in a statement. "It also underscores the need for us to pull together to solve our challenges as a country, not tear each other down."
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #115 on: 2016-06-26 10:10:07 »

A friend was mentionin how Scotland and Ireland were mad. Said something like, "What's the point of the United Kingdom leaving the EU if it's not going to stay united after it leaves." Then someone else brought up that that's a major issue when 3 countries have to share the same space.

Scotland amuses me with its whole, "We're not represented!" Meanwhile Wales be like, "... Srsly?"

If you find that joke, it will probably make my day haha. It gave me a chuckle, good old Britain, eh?

Smiles2us
Administrator

Email
« Reply #116 on: 2016-06-26 10:20:04 »

Britain leaving the union is a backstroke for folks who want a one world government.
Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #117 on: 2016-06-26 10:24:17 »

But isn't that unrealistic?

yasl
Lead Tech

Email
« Reply #118 on: 2016-06-27 02:43:38 »

There's also a joke in there somewhere about Britain deciding they didn't like being part of someone else's empire, but I'm too lazy to find it right now.

XD

Globalism, One world order folks, Obama, Hillary, and progressives.
This bit confuses me.

Me too.  I'm not really getting the "one world government" thing.  It's presently filed under "tinfoil hats" in my brain.

Actually, "globalism", "one world order", and "progressives" are currently all in very different buckets.

Does anyone have some links/detail on this?
Smiles2us
Administrator

Email
« Reply #119 on: 2016-06-27 11:14:14 »

There are theories that suggest the people in charge (some) have been trying to make a one world government.  Various organizations has furthered this.  The EU, for example.  There have been talks about a global tax, and other things that suggest a one world government.  Body chips, world identification, etc. 
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 98 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: World News « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024