PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: MLP:FiM - "The Washouts" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MLP:FiM - "The Washouts"  (Read 9427 times)
Soda
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #45 on: 2018-09-09 13:33:20 »

Hahahaha!  Oh okay then.  Scoots fan club.
Soda
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #46 on: 2018-09-09 13:34:57 »

Alright, so it was a good episode.  I liked it! :D  I liked it a lot.  I was happy to see Lightning again and her new crew.  Interesting characters.  Scoot's and Rainbow's dynamic was good and the Mane 6 was actually written in well without being forced. So I may be going a bit too high on this score, but I am giving this a 9 out of 10.  I really really liked it!
Wolfwood
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #47 on: 2018-09-09 13:45:49 »

The Washouts was a good episode!  A nice episode that added and built upon Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash's relationship. It also official continued Rainbow Dash's nemesis in Lightning Dust.  I feel the episode pushed the narrative forward for Scoot's and Dash in a positive light.  It brought Dash closer to Scoot's in more of a sisterly figure.  She truly does care for Scoot's and soon realized her care for Scoot's went over her love of being always in the spotlight.  In a strange turn of events, mainly for this great character dynamic, I will give this episode possibly an overly high score of 9.  I found it really good and enjoyed all the characters both old and new introduced.  The pacing was good and actually very fast.  But it went smoothly with no down moments.  One more thing, we get the closest we've ever gotten to Scootaloo just saying she has a disability.  She can't fly.

This face again.

Cute face.

Super cute!  SUPER CUTE.

Binkyt11

Email
« Reply #48 on: 2018-09-09 14:20:25 »

This face again.
FBI OPEN UP.

Also, one of the best parts of the episode has to be the "Living in a Van Down by the River" scene. You can hear Spitfire's VA by the time she reaches "Lighting Dust" trying not to break into laughter. If a moment where your actors themselves are having a hard time containing their enjoyment, ya done good.
Soda
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #49 on: 2018-09-09 15:50:38 »

^ I noticed that too.  I found Spitfire's voice actor seemed to be holding back laughter, which was odd.  I'm surprised they didn't retake it to avoid that.
Binkyt11

Email
« Reply #50 on: 2018-09-09 18:05:24 »

^ I noticed that too.  I found Spitfire's voice actor seemed to be holding back laughter, which was odd.  I'm surprised they didn't retake it to avoid that.
I'm glad they did. It just goes to show how much fun they can have with these recording sessions in the main show. Plus, we don't really see that sorta raw reaction that much anyway l. Some good examples I can remember is Cathy making up the Crystal Empire's theme on the spot or Patton's little ad lib at the end of STFF.
Wolfwood
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #51 on: 2018-09-10 13:53:02 »

Patton's little ad lib at the end of STFF.

I don't remember this.  Enlighten me.
aka "Numbers"
Master Member

This is not a personal text

WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: 2018-09-10 14:25:32 »

She means "the voice actor of Quibble Pants ad-libbing his dialogue throughout the end credits of the episode Stranger than Fan Fiction". ;)

Smileys. Made a list of them. I had nothing better to do.
Wolfwood
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #53 on: 2018-09-10 18:06:32 »

Thanks, Numbers.

I can't get over how weird the name "Quibble Pants" is... it makes no sense.
« Last Edit: 2018-09-10 18:06:48 by Wolfwood » Logged
Binkyt11

Email
« Reply #54 on: 2018-09-10 19:42:30 »

Thanks, Numbers.

I can't get over how weird the name "Quibble Pants" is... it makes no sense.

Quibble:
argue or raise objections about a trivial matter.

Pants:
rubbish; nonsense

The latter being a more informal word that kinda works like slang in British.
Wolfwood
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #55 on: 2018-09-10 21:14:15 »

Thanks again.

Crazy British slang.
Daisyy

Squeet

Email
« Reply #56 on: 2018-09-10 21:39:01 »

eehhh?

"Pants" as the informal term is rather like saying 'load of underwear' in connotation,, lot more, uh, contemptuous, sorta immature

Idk why they used it for a pony name heh
I thought Quibble Pants was just something similar to Fancy Pants

life is like a profound metaphor, except you put the word "like" and now it's a simile, and you failed the figurative language assignment
Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #57 on: 2018-09-11 18:19:31 »

It was a good episode overall and I do agree, it pushed ahead some good character building.  Despite that, I just felt it lacked some depth to it though.  It was better then some stuff we've seen in the past, but I have a hard time giving it a score of 8.  I will give it an 8, as I've given somethings a 7 that truly deserved it, but next season I may have to re-evaulate my ranking system.

Some big moments I liked were Rainbow Dash coming to terms why she didn't want Scootaloo to truly go away to Lightning Dust.  I think it started out as jealousy (of course) but when it got to the point that Scoot's was going to possibly hurt herself, it became genuine concern. That realization may have came too late, which is also a bit of a dig....

The new characters were nice to see, but Short Temper... or whatever his name was, was too much of a character and that only. :P

Lightning Dust was good to see again!

The Mane 6, while minimal in this episode, fit in well and weren't forced.

Parts I didn't like were Spitfire's sergeant style rant to Scootaloo.  Don't get me wrong, it could have been a good scene and it was, but I felt the voice acting was all wrong as well as the lines delivered seemed to repeat and loop.  It was clumsy and the voice actor failed to portray the yelling well.  It seemed like they were struggling.  I give them a D on that.

As mentioned above, Dash's realization may have come too late, meaning her main intentions were jealousy, which then shifted to true concern only when it was absolutely needed a the last minute.

So again, I give this episode an 8 overall.
« Last Edit: 2018-09-11 18:23:33 by Grapefoot » Logged

Kiwi
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #58 on: 2018-09-16 12:47:38 »

Fun episode and pretty much everything Grapefoot said above me.

8/10.
Pages: < 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: MLP:FiM - "The Washouts" « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024