PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: COPPA It's Bad. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 [2] 3 4 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: COPPA It's Bad.  (Read 9399 times)
Darrin
Administrator

Email
« Reply #15 on: 2019-11-24 12:27:55 »

This deserves to be watched.  Good vid, Mega.  Here it is folks, give it a watch.

People are wrongly putting the blame on the FTC when the blame should go to YOUTUBE/GOOGLE for their ineptitude and greed
« Last Edit: 2019-11-24 12:33:09 by Darrin » Logged

:):):):):):):):):):)>>> "Green is the New You" -PSF <<<:):):):):):):(:):):)
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: 2019-11-24 12:39:28 »

So Google wouldn't make as much money so they are doing this?  We all know Google is a greedy company who wants your info.

So it is their stupidity and greed they are placing this blame on people.

The FTC isn't here to sue people.  They don't even want to.  But Youtube's and social media blew it out of proportion making people believe that.  NO.  FTC is not going to sue content creators.  Don't be silly.  But if your channel causes trouble for Youtube, they will just axe your content.

COPPA has been around since 2000.  Other site's that have followed the law, don't have anything to worry about.  Youtube who purposely ignored it for profit and data now is placing the blame on others.
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #17 on: 2019-11-24 12:43:21 »

To some level, Youtube has followed COPPA.  You aren't allowed to join unless you are over 13.  They made YOUTUBE KIDS for people under the age of 13.

But people lie and join when they are under 13.  It's not their fault then... is it?
megacycle

Email
« Reply #18 on: 2019-11-24 12:53:39 »

To some level, Youtube has followed COPPA.  You aren't allowed to join unless you are over 13.  They made YOUTUBE KIDS for people under the age of 13.

But people lie and join when they are under 13.  It's not their fault then... is it?

I think it's because you can watch most videos without needing to be logged in or click an, I consent to the use of cookies and I am over the age of thirteen.

I still feel it is the duty of a parent to monitor what their kid is doing online... or acknowledge that their data is being collected while they are browsing the internet. It's complicated and stupid. It doesn't help that they push their creators to censor themselves to be advertiser friendly, kid friendly. It's weird. It's stupid. It's putting the creators in the middle of a fight that they don't belong in... because the content creators aren't the ones collecting the data... it's youtube and google.
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: 2019-11-24 12:54:53 »

I still feel it is the duty of a parent to monitor what their kid is doing online...

And it should be.  But we sadly see how most parents just hand a phone or tablet to a baby and let it entertain them.  They don't even pay attention to what their kids do and buy the Grand Theft Auto at Christmas.

It comes down to bad parenting.
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #20 on: 2020-01-05 22:24:09 »

So.... January 1st came around.  Haven't heard anyone say anything.  Don't think Youtube's done anything.

There are no media articles either.  Could this just be yet ANOTHER example of the social media world overreacting and nothing changes or happens? 
« Last Edit: 2020-01-05 22:25:23 by AnyPoneDrawn » Logged
Tüsszent

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #21 on: 2020-01-05 22:40:02 »

I haven't noticed anything change.  It might be too soon.  But I think it was blown out of proportion as per usual with the internet.
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #22 on: 2020-01-06 14:09:58 »

Nothing has happened yet.  Youtubers who were decrying haven't brought any of this up since mid December. 
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #23 on: 2020-01-06 16:29:52 »

Alright.  Youtube has made an official press release that went to content creators today.  Here it is.

Jan 6, 2020.

"Last September, we announced a series of changes that we’d be making to better protect kids and their privacy on YouTube, and to address the concerns raised to us by the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
Specifically, that all creators would be required to designate their content as made for kids or not made for kids in YouTube Studio, and that personal information from anyone watching a video designated as made for kids would be treated as coming from a child, regardless of the age of the user.
Starting today, we will no longer serve personalized ads or support features such as comments, Stories, live chat, notification bell, and others on videos designated made for kids.
We know these changes may have significant impact on creators making kids content, so we’re committed to helping them navigate this new landscape. We continue to engage on this issue, including by participating in the FTC's open comment period. We know many creators have provided valuable feedback as well.
If you haven’t already, please ensure you have set your channel (or individual videos) as made for kids or not, as this will ultimately determine how your content is treated on YouTube.
Creators know their content best, and should set the designation themselves. We also use machine learning to help us identify this content, and creators can update a designation made by our systems if they believe it is incorrect. We will only override a change if abuse or error is detected."

Thank you,
Youtube Team
« Last Edit: 2020-01-06 16:30:54 by MasterXtreme » Logged
Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: 2020-01-06 20:44:53 »

We'll see how it goes.

LovesSneezingApparently
SCM Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #25 on: 2020-01-09 12:39:38 »

I am definitively seeing some irritating quality of life changes now.

Videos marked as kids content can’t be added to playlists and have their comments disabled. Even the miniplayer doesn’t work. I only ever opened that thing by accident, but like... why?

And if the entire channel is marked (such as Disney, Cartoon Network & Nickelodeon) then the notification bell and the search bar are lost. It’s gonna be sooo much harder to find anything!  >:(

MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #26 on: 2020-01-09 18:30:24 »

That is pretty annoying.

I haven't noticed these changes yet... weird....
megacycle

Email
« Reply #27 on: 2020-01-10 09:25:12 »

I've ran into a couple videos like that... makes ya wish youtube went with the you need to be a registered user, logged on and of age to use our platform approach. Basically kick out the children completely and force the kids to use the kids app. I'm pretty sure they have enough users that it won't hurt their ad money but so much... I mean if you have a smartphone you probably have a gmail account and a youtube account.

On another note... if your kid has a smart TV or your home has some kind of amazon alexa or google assistant device... well they gather data on your kids too. Ya gonna do anything about those lovely devices?
« Last Edit: 2020-01-10 09:27:36 by megacycle » Logged
MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #28 on: 2020-01-10 13:46:07 »

Kids make em' too much money.  Personally I would hate being forced to log in.  I never log in to Youtube to watch stuff.

I think it should be switched.  Make the kids have a safe account they log into (parent log into) and then the child can safely be on Youtube without threat of bad content.
Ynona

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #29 on: 2020-01-10 14:45:35 »

I don't know if it has something to do with COPPA... but recently I noticed that Youtube is being slower to load stuff than usual.

Dame da ne. Dame yo, dame na no yo...
Pages: < 1 [2] 3 4 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: COPPA It's Bad. « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024