PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: COPPA It's Bad. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 2 [3] 4 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: COPPA It's Bad.  (Read 9397 times)
megacycle

Email
« Reply #30 on: 2020-01-10 16:32:36 »

Kids make em' too much money.  Personally I would hate being forced to log in.  I never log in to Youtube to watch stuff.

I think it should be switched.  Make the kids have a safe account they log into (parent log into) and then the child can safely be on Youtube without threat of bad content.

I really don't see the problem... most people have the log in saved or set to never log off and boom, done! The other way around would never work since the kid would just log out and browse the site regularly, never use the safe account.

My real vote is to scrap the freaking law because it doesn't actually do anything in the end... besides give a government body more power. That governing body should be making parents more aware of the dangers of the internet and to take responsibility for your kids not push it onto people living in other states or countries. But what do I know? XD
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: 2020-01-11 17:42:11 »

Eh.  It hasn't really been that bad.  Hasn't effected anything for the most part to me.  It stinks it had to be done, but I haven't seen a whole lot change and no mass deletions.  I'm fine with this.
Kiwi
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #32 on: 2020-01-11 22:05:03 »

There are some minor quibbles, but yeeeaaah, it's not a big deal.
Ynona

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #33 on: 2020-01-17 17:10:01 »

One of my sh!t post meme videos got flagged as content for children! XD

Nothing too crazy, I just find it funny! XD

Dame da ne. Dame yo, dame na no yo...
Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #34 on: 2020-01-17 17:12:50 »

Pretty much anything with cartoons will automatically be named a child's program now! 

Imagine all the adult cartoons where owners never came back to change stuff and now it's labeled kids content. ;)

Ynona

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #35 on: 2020-01-17 17:18:27 »

Pretty much anything with cartoons will automatically be named a child's program now! 

Imagine all the adult cartoons where owners never came back to change stuff and now it's labeled kids content. ;)

But I have a couple of anime related sh!t post videos that perfectly fine...  ???

I guess the Youtube algorithm is one of those guys that thinks that anime are not cartoons! XD

Dame da ne. Dame yo, dame na no yo...
Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #36 on: 2020-01-17 17:22:26 »

Anime is a cartoon? ;) 

Yeah, it will be awhile before they can master that crazy algorithm.... possibly never.
« Last Edit: 2020-01-17 17:22:54 by Rainberry » Logged

megacycle

Email
« Reply #37 on: 2020-01-18 14:09:41 »

YouTube bots are bad... which is a partial fear for some creators, when their obviously not for kids animation gets flagged for kids... just because it's animated.

I watched markiplier do a where does youtube take new viewers video by using a VPN and incognito mode... found out they recommend or suggest more content from big broadcasting companies like ESPN and FOX among other things, I think Jimmy Kimmel as well. Which makes sense to do that with the current COPPA thing in effect and youtube being watched by big brother. lol.
RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: 2020-01-18 14:32:09 »

Google is big brother.  They share all the data.  I worry about them more than the US government.

Google will sell your soul for pennies on the dollar... and scarier, most people just give them all the info they want without even trying.
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #39 on: 2020-01-18 16:04:37 »

Google is big brother.  They share all the data.  I worry about them more than the US government.

Google will sell your soul for pennies on the dollar... and scarier, most people just give them all the info they want without even trying.

Google is one of the biggest online threats in our era for sure.  They own and know so much.  If they teamed up with Amazon and their knowledge of what people buy.... Google would truly own and know everyone.  It's as scary as heck.
megacycle

Email
« Reply #40 on: 2020-01-18 16:06:14 »

I'm pissed because my uncle is all google and gave me and my family a google stadia and a google home mini... I didn't want to throw it away or tell him to keep it so I accepted it... and instantly got pissed when setting up the device... why do I need to turn on my cell phones location to connect to a device setting right in front of me... why? It freaking pissed me off! lol. I hate it. My off topic rant for the day.
Darrin
Administrator

Email
« Reply #41 on: 2020-01-18 16:14:59 »

... why do I need to turn on my cell phones location to connect to a device setting right in front of me... why? I

Google is dangerous.  Extremely dangerous.  "Turn on your location services to better provide you with better services tailored to your needs." - Google.  NO.  NO I WILL NOT.  It is why when I get any new phone or tech, I remove anything that is Google on it.  I get rid of the Google search and all their tracking services (As much as you can at least).

It stinks because some phones REQUIRE you to have a Gmail... not an email.... a GMAIL and a Google Account just to use the device YOU JUST BOUGHT.

Don't get me started.   Lol.  Google is horrible.

:):):):):):):):):):)>>> "Green is the New You" -PSF <<<:):):):):):):(:):):)
megacycle

Email
« Reply #42 on: 2020-01-18 16:31:51 »

They're all horrible... but yeah, google is the worst... it's not like it says you have to turn on your location to use the device... but you have too. I turned my location back off as soon as I finished setting up the device.

I want to tell the google home mini to self destruct. lol. Because I really don't want it or the amazon equivalent to it.
« Last Edit: 2020-01-18 16:32:55 by megacycle » Logged
Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #43 on: 2020-01-18 17:24:56 »

I have an Alexa.... and it worries me what she collects.  I have her in a far away place I rarely go too, lol.  So the only time I come in contact with her is when I leave or enter.  I usually just ask the weather and that's about it.

As for phones, I hate how they all want access to all your files and info.  They all want location turned on. :P  If I can't turn off that stuff, I am simply not downloading that app.

I did a recent check on my Google account and went through EVERYTHING and turned it off.  Thankfully Google has no location info on me, no advertising info, and saves no history.  It also isn't allowed to track my Youtube history.  You can turn a lot of it off in your account, but they really burry it.

MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #44 on: 2020-01-19 13:05:12 »

No one is safe if you have your data online.  Let's not forget the biggest seller out information out there, Facebook.  Anyone who has Facebook and shared their information, it's already sold to everyone.

Google does the same thing.  You have a Fitbit?  Well your info is being sold to your healthcare providers and insurance to eventually tell you to either work out more, work our less... your credit card data combined with that can tell them what you eat.  PAY WITH CASH AS MUCH AS YOU CAN.  It leave behind no trail for them.

Microsoft and Apple do a lot less of these practices, but they do do it to some degree.  But they also promise security of your data and are moving more towards a pro-user approach.  Yahoo also hasn't been known to sell your info to a large degree, at least nothing major has been written about it. Google is pretending they are, but they aren't.  Facebook pretends, but has been caught in so many lies since they publicly announced they would.

Alterative browsers/search engines to use would be Safari, Edge, Bing, Duck Duck Go.  They don't track your searches and data if you click if off.  DDGo doesn't at all. 

Firefox was recently found to have security breaches with data leaks.  Google and their Chrome browser of course compiles all your data and saves it for them to use and sell.
« Last Edit: 2020-01-19 13:07:53 by MasterXtreme » Logged
Pages: < 1 2 [3] 4 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: COPPA It's Bad. « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024