PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: Surviving the biggest blizzard in 50 years!!! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surviving the biggest blizzard in 50 years!!!  (Read 952 times)
Daphine

PSF Member

Email
« on: 2022-12-27 16:02:42 »

I just got my power back on earlier today after having the craziest Christmas of my life :o .I don't like to give out to much information about myself but by now a lot of people know that I live in the suburbs of Buffalo NY were we just finished getting hit with the worst blizzard we have had in 50 years. It started on Christmas eve were we had snow showers and winds toping out at 70 miles an hour with below 0 wind chills.  That went on for over 24 hours and when the winds slowed down I was SO happy that I still had power.  After the winds came the lake effect snow, I have over 4 feet of snow.  That's when my luck ran out.  I lost power Christmas afternoon, it was so scary!  What is even scarier is that I'm one of the lucky ones.  Two of my friends lost power the first night of the storm and still haven't had it turned back on.

I'm SO grateful to neighbors who were for me.  I love you all!  I'm even more grateful for my mom's neighbors who knew this was her first Christmas without my dad and the stories she told me about them plowing out her driveway and just stopping by to check on her.  There is a reason why Buffalo is called the city of good neighbors!!!

Here is a link to a story the national news did about the blizzard.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd6EqfkrkBs
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: 2022-12-27 17:46:34 »

Oh that's right, you live where that is going on.  I'm glad you are okay.  I've been watching and reading the news.  60 inches of snow in 3 days for Buffalo.  Over 50 people dead.  The snow drifts are insane... power outages.  Sounds like a wild Christmas.

Been praying for the folks there.  I know donations will be needed and I plan on helping out.  A lot of people will be struggling there.  Let's just hope this snow stops soon.  It is really scary, especially since people need supplies and can't even leave their homes due to the snow.  Also the weight of the snow on roofs is gonna start reaching their breaking point for many.   
« Last Edit: 2022-12-27 17:48:31 by Anyponedrawn » Logged
Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: 2022-12-27 17:53:15 »

I lost my power as well, but have been running on a generator the past 48hrs.  I'm glad you and your Mom are okay thanks to her neighbors.

It's been a wild year because there was Lake Effect Snow in November too and now all of this.  Can't go anywhere, you're stuck.  Just thankful I was prepared and had emergency supplies which I can use.  I have been able to see if neighbors need supplies, such as food, chopped wood for fires.  So far everyone is okay around me. 

But it is pretty scary out there.  Never seen anything like this before.  The scariest thing to me was the howling of the wind and just seeing snow.  Wind was blowing like mad in the darkness.  You could hold a flashlight out and it was just pitch black, snow, and howling winds.  Not to mention it's below freezing out there with windchills in the -25 range.

Daphine

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: 2022-12-27 21:23:35 »

Between the storm we had just before Thanksgiving and this storm Buffalo has over 100 inches of snow so far for the Winter and Winter only started 6 days ago.  That is more than our average snow fall for a whole year.  I grew up and now live south of the city in Orchard Park (the real home of the Buffalo Bills) were we got even more snow than the city. I have a feeling it's going to be a long Winter!  Buffalo's next challenge comes in 2 days when the temperature is suppose to get up to 55 degrees which will lead to flooding and ice dams.  It's suppose to stay warm for almost a week which could lead to more lake effect snow in the future.
Your so lucky to have a generator @Grapefoot  .  When I bought my house 5 years ago I should have made sure that my house came with one.  Luckily my mothers house has one.  Even luckier she didn't lose power.  Thank you for helping out your neighbors with fire wood.  I'm sure they appreciated it ^-^ .  That is what the season is all about xmas^^ .

Here are a couple of pictures of my driveway just after I got my power back on today and a picture of my cute little house just before the storm on the 23rd.  Already for the holidays!  My decorations are a mess now :(

https://imgur.com/a/1ZAn0it

« Last Edit: 2022-12-27 21:24:45 by Daphine » Logged
RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: 2022-12-27 22:45:37 »

Glad you are both safe, Daph and Grape!
Graymist

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: 2022-12-27 23:38:00 »

Thankful our members who are there are okay.  What wild stories.  I'm glad you are both okay.

The picture of the snow on your cars is... WOW.  Like if there weren't trails to your car, it would literally just be a mound of snow.

At least Santa was looking bright, lol!

I had snow, but I wasn't in the brunt of it like you all.  We had some near record cold and snow, but it wasn't bad enough that like... I couldn't leave if I wanted to. 
« Last Edit: 2022-12-27 23:39:44 by Graymist » Logged
Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: 2022-12-27 23:43:29 »

I'm really glad you are safe too, @Daphine.  It's really sad how some 20 people within our area are no longer with us because of this storm.  And to think it happened right at Christmas time.  It's so sad. 

Daphine

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: 2022-12-28 11:23:39 »

I heard this morning that the death toll in the Buffalo area is now over 30 and there expecting to find many more when this thaw hits.  You @Grapefoot  and I are truly the lucky ones.  My heart goes out to all the families who lost loved ones during horrible storm.

As for my pictures I really did my best to keep up with the snow fall the first 2 days.  We didn't get a lot of snow but the drifting from the high winds was terrible.  When the winds stopped and the snow came down was the toughest part. It took me over an hour to dig that path just around my car.  My next door neighbor came over with his snow blower to help me out but the snow at the end of my driveway was to high and heavy for him and his snow blower. Lucky again another neighbor with a plow truck did the end.  I'm so glad I made Christmas cookies this year because I have been handing them out to everyone ;D .

This is my first winter since I bought my house that I don't have a plow service.  Since I got laid off because of the pandemic I didn't to save some money.  That was a mistake :(

I remember my father telling me when I was going to buy my house that I was crazy to own a home without a fireplace and he was right as always. 

My new list from Santa consists of a
1). generator
2). fireplace
3). snow blower
Soda
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: 2022-12-28 13:50:42 »

Wow.  I do think you did a nice job at making a trail based on the photo, but wow.  How scary to have that much snow actually fall down.  I live in the Bay Area and we occasionally have snow, but it's like a trace or it doesn't stick or anything.
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: 2022-12-29 00:10:18 »

I'm thankful you are safe after all of that.  Please keep us up to date. 

I've been watching the news but I am just out of range from the worst of what Upstate is getting.  It's really sad how many people have lost loved ones in this.  It's a once in a generation kind of storm.
kiku

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: 2022-12-30 06:19:55 »

@Daphine and @Grapefoot , thank God you are both safe!  <3

Avatar: Idea and drawing by Nemesis Prime
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: Surviving the biggest blizzard in 50 years!!! « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024