PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: need help with posting a video I made! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: need help with posting a video I made!  (Read 1597 times)
Daphine

PSF Member

Email
« on: 2020-10-22 17:46:28 »

I made a short video yesterday using my Nikon D3200.  I tried to post it but I got this message

DSC_1341.MOV.
You cannot upload that type of file. The only allowed extensions are rtf,gif,jpg,mpg,pdf,png,txt,zip,tar.gz,tar.xz,tar.bz2.

I did a little research and found out that this should be an easy fix, I just had to convert my video to one of those!  I tried two different free converters and tried to change them to mpg.  The first place I went to converted it to mpg but the video was just a bunch of green boxes in the video screen.  I tried again on that same site, still using mpg and I got the first frame of my video but it froze there.  I then tried a third time using zip this time but nothing happened.

I then went to a different converter site and tried to convert again to mpg and that time all I got was a black screen when I played my video!

What am I doing wrong?  Why can't I just post my video that is on my camera like I do with my pictures?  Any help would be much appreciated  ;D
RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: 2020-10-22 18:16:49 »

You can not upload movie files to any forum and if you could, it would use up too much of the site's memory/bandwidth.  The only way you can upload a video is via a video website like Vimeo, Youtube, or something else.  You can make it private video and share the link with people that way.

You don't need to convert a .MOV file, that will work with sites like Vimeo or Youtube if you plan to upload it.
Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: 2020-10-22 18:31:54 »

Where are you trying to upload this video?  Any video type cannot be uploaded to PSF or most any forum. 

If you do want to upload a video, like Rainy said, you will have to use a video hosting service.

Daphine

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: 2020-10-22 21:10:07 »

You can not upload movie files to any forum and if you could, it would use up too much of the site's memory/bandwidth.  The only way you can upload a video is via a video website like Vimeo, Youtube, or something else.  You can make it private video and share the link with people that way.

You don't need to convert a .MOV file, that will work with sites like Vimeo or Youtube if you plan to upload it.
Where are you trying to upload this video?  Any video type cannot be uploaded to PSF or most any forum. 

If you do want to upload a video, like Rainy said, you will have to use a video hosting service.

Thank you both,  it's safe to say that I feel really stupid right about now :)).  For as much time as I have spent online and on forums over the years I know very, very little about how things work.  Like what is a bandwidth and things like that lol.

thank you both for setting me straight.  I appreciate it :)
Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: 2020-10-22 21:47:13 »

what is a bandwidth and things like that lol.

Bandwidth is basic terms can be seen as capacity.  Each site has a capacity limit.  So when a website reaches it's capacity, the site can shut down, or they have to pay more since they exceeded their bandwidth.  It is one of the reasons why I tell people not to upload images via PSF's "upload" feature and instead use a third party image hosting source.

PSF has never told us how much they pay exactly, though I remember once hearing a lump sum of $400 was paid for this website to run.  I feel guilty because they've never asked us to pay anything.

Daphine

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: 2020-10-23 10:40:16 »

Wow,  I have no idea who actually owns this site but that is very generous of them to pay that much just so we all have a place to enjoy :).   
Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: 2020-10-23 17:07:49 »

Wow,  I have no idea who actually owns this site but that is very generous of them to pay that much just so we all have a place to enjoy :).

It is our administrators, Darrin and Smiles2us.

Wolfwood
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: 2020-10-24 13:30:02 »

The easiest way to get a video file online is youtube.  But then you would want to make it private or unlisted so others couldn't see it unless you give them a link to it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: need help with posting a video I made! « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024