PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: World News 0 Members and 15 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: World News  (Read 298638 times)
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #1320 on: 2021-04-01 17:48:12 »

Europe's vaccine rollout 'unacceptably slow' according to WHO.

Blocked by the EU's export ban, Japan got its first AstraZeneca vaccines from the US instead.

Many US States Allowing Vaccines For All Adults.  Federal Gov. May Allow Anyone the Vaccine by May.

France Locks Down Yet Again... They will close schools, ban domestic travel as virus surges...

German's Told To Stay Home For Easter as Top Doctors Urge For 'Hard Lockdowns'...

Italy is making all health workers take the COVID-19 vaccine, and said anyone who refuses will be suspended without pay...

China Attacks W.H.O. for Urging Further Probe Into Lab Accident Theory...

Iran–China Strategic Agreement Could Be a Game-Changer that is bad for the West...

NATO Scrambles Jets to Respond to an “Unusually High Number” of Russian Military Flights in allied territory.

US and NATO Monitor Heavy Russian Troop Movements on Ukrainian Border...

Russian Spies Becoming More Brazen In Europe According to NATO.

Italy Expels Two Russian Diplomats and Arrests Italian Navy Captain for Selling Secrets to Russia...

Italy, Hungary, and Poland Discuss Conservative Alliance Within the EU.

Derek Chauvin trial: Key witness refuses to testify...

U.N. Casts Doubt on Chinese Claims of Growing Support for Human Rights Record.

Islamists Kill 23 Civilians in Eastern Congo...

Civilian Crew Chosen for SpaceX Flight Later This Year Are “Overwhelmed With Joy”!

Nike wins halt to sales of Lil Nas X ‘Satan Shoes’.

Professional Anti-Racists Angry After Expert Report Concludes UK Is Not ‘Institutionally Racist’...

NFL Star Aaron Rodgers to Guest-Host “Jeopardy”.

Nickelodeon Pulls SpongeBob Episode About “Clam Flu” Quarantine.

« Last Edit: 2021-04-01 17:48:45 by Silverwing » Logged
RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #1321 on: 2021-05-17 17:50:35 »

Hamas continues rocket fire as Israel threatens ground attack.

RainySunshine
SCM Member

WWW Email
« Reply #1322 on: 2021-06-11 13:59:43 »

70% of Seattle Vaccinated; Seattle becomes most vaccinated city major city in the World
RainySunshine
SCM Member

WWW Email
« Reply #1323 on: 2021-08-15 22:59:01 »

Embarrassing...

President Biden's botched Afghanistan exit is a disaster at home and abroad...

Taliban sweep into Afghan capital after government collapses, former leaders flee...

Taliban releases over 1,000 criminals, drug traffickers from prisons...
« Last Edit: 2021-08-15 23:00:39 by RainySunshine » Logged
kiku

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #1324 on: 2021-09-25 12:40:38 »

Tomorrow is election day here in Germany. We'll get a new chancellor.
I don't have a good feeling. I will vote, of course, but I don't really trust any of the candidates for the office. I do have a preference, but still...
Whatever party wins the election, Angela Merkel will not be chancellor any more; she is going to retire.

Even an unpolitical person like me can't fail to notice that Chancellor Merkel, although she certainly did make her share of mistakes during the 16 years of her term of office, was (and still is) a person of high morals and decency - and humaneness.

Growing up in East Germany as the daughter of a Protestant pastor, and later being a scientist, I imagine her life can't have been easy.
In 2005, for the first time in German history, a woman became Federal Chancellor. Since that time, girls in Germany know they can be anything when they grow up - even a Federal Chancellor...

My views on all kinds of topics may differ significantly from hers, but I deeply respect her for the way she persevered through all those years and crises. It can be discussed endlessly which of her decisions were right or wrong, but one things's for sure, we will never again have a leader for our country who is less likely to turn corrupt and unscrupulous. In that sense, she definitely was an exceptional politician.
And I will miss that.

Danke, Frau Bundeskanzlerin.

Avatar: Idea and drawing by Nemesis Prime
FoxTail
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #1325 on: 2021-09-25 14:27:51 »

Germany is a very important country for Europe and the EU, which therefore is important to the world as well.  I hope the best leader for the job gets the job.  Best of luck and I truly appreciate your thoughtfulness on what you shared.  It paints Chancellor Merkel in a light I never really thought of before.

It makes me worry about the corruption of unscrupulous acts these future leaders may have.  I truly don't know them in depth besides their names and a quick read about them online.  Of course living in the country where this happens, you are able to see more about them in the news and what not.

So best of luck.  Fingers crossed for the best outcome.
kiku

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #1326 on: 2021-09-25 14:59:00 »

Thanks, @FoxTail:)

Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #1327 on: 2021-09-25 17:52:11 »

I liked you input, Kiku. Thank you for sharing. 

I wish we heard more of elections outside of North America.  Once in awhile we will hear about it after the election.  The only one's I ever hear talked about commonly before the election is England, France, and the Russia (In terms of Europe).

I did some reading up on the top candidates. I know Wikipedia isn't trustworthy a source, but it had a good overview.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_German_federal_election
« Last Edit: 2021-09-25 17:57:27 by Rainberry » Logged

kiku

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #1328 on: 2021-09-26 00:21:04 »

Thanks for sharing the link, @Rainberry !

Graymist

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #1329 on: 2021-09-26 15:11:57 »

I am curious to hear how the election turns out.  SPD is currently leading over the CDU/CSU just barely with 60% of votes counted.

I think it's mostly done.  Here is a live map.  The map might be interesting to those curious.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2021-german-election-results/

I am amazed how much of Germany votes "Other" in the south over a leading party. 
« Last Edit: 2021-09-26 15:14:48 by Graymist » Logged
kiku

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #1330 on: 2021-09-26 22:32:42 »

Thanks for sharing the link, @Graymist .
When I checked the news this morning, I was surprised to see the SPD did it - and still, Laschet is hoping to be chancellor... We'll have to wait and see what coalition we get...

TheBeesSneeze

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #1331 on: 2021-09-27 23:55:32 »

We'll have to wait and see what coalition we get...

As someone who doesn't live in a country where the form of government has parties that form a coalition and leadership after an election, how long can it take for them to come up with one?  And while you wait, does the previously elected party continue to rule or does the newly elected party rule?  @kiku
kiku

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #1332 on: 2021-09-28 11:51:57 »

@TheBeesSneeze , actually there is no time limit for the parties to decide about their coalitions - it can take several months. Until then, Angela Merkel remains chancellor, and all the ministers keep their positions as well. The thing is, a party cannot rule alone by itself if it doesn't have absolute majority. The SPD only won the election by a few percent, so they have to form a coalition with another party.

Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #1333 on: 2021-09-28 13:25:23 »

@TheBeesSneeze , actually there is no time limit for the parties to decide about their coalitions - it can take several months. Until then, Angela Merkel remains chancellor, and all the ministers keep their positions as well. The thing is, a party cannot rule alone by itself if it doesn't have absolute majority. The SPD only won the election by a few percent, so they have to form a coalition with another party.

You explained that better than any text book in my school ever did.

kiku

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #1334 on: 2021-09-28 22:02:48 »

@Rainberry , thanks, I actually know much too little about stuff like that...  :-] I've got to read up on all these things too. But hey, PSF gets me to read about politics, that's a good thing, LOL

Pages: < 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: World News « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024