PSF
News: Send An Application To Become A Site Moderator.  Message Darrin or Smiles2us.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Blue Sky Studios Animation Discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 > Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blue Sky Studios Animation Discussion  (Read 3744 times)
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« on: 2019-07-20 14:14:50 »

Blue Sky Studios Discussion

A topic for past, present, and future Blue Sky Studios films.

They are known for films such as the Ice Age franchise, Dr. Seuess' Horton Hears a Who!, Rio franchise, and The Peanuts Movie.

They were owned by 20th Century FOX as their animation arm, but have sense been consumed by the Walt Disney Company.  No word if they will eventually fold, merge, or remain their own operations.
« Last Edit: 2019-07-20 14:17:30 by Silverwing » Logged
Silverwing
SCM Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: 2019-07-20 14:18:10 »

They have two upcoming films planned at the moment.

Spies In Disguise - Dec 25, 2019.

Nimona - March 5, 2021.
FoxTail
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: 2019-07-21 13:50:58 »

Hmmm, don't know much about their upcoming films.  This studio can do good things but they also know how to make lame films.
Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: 2019-12-20 16:34:28 »

Still looking for direction, I don't think this latest film will be a success.

Since Disney bought some assets of FOX, they now officially own Blue Sky Animation Studios.

I am predicting in the future Disney will dissolve or blend this studio in with other studios.  They are the weakest link of Disney's owned studios.

It's a shame, they had some decent films.  The best film by far was their heartfelt PEANUTS movie.  Rio was pretty good and the original Ice Age too.  But just a lot of mediocrity.  I don't think they have the leadership to go beyond that and find their calling and direction.  I know they are passionate, but just don't have the writing talent.   

Either Disney will hook them up with some new writing talent or they will be gone.

Which leads me to this new film of theirs just released.  I don't think it will be a success....  Just average or below average.  It doesn't even have that interesting a premise... or at least one to draw me to a theater to see it.

Spies In Disguise.
Loosely based on Lucas Martell's 2009 animated short Pigeon: Impossible, the film will be directed by Nick Bruno and Troy Quane in their directorial debuts, and will star the voices of Will Smith and Tom Holland, alongside Rashida Jones, Ben Mendelsohn, Reba McEntire, Rachel Brosnahan, Karen Gillan, DJ Khaled, and Masi Oka in supporting roles. The film premiered at the El Capitan Theatre on December 5, 2019, and is scheduled for wide theatrical release on Christmas Day, December 25, 2019. It received generally positive reviews from critics and audiences, with praise for its animation, action, music, and Smith and Holland's voice performances.

It is projected to gross $23–30 million in its five-day opening weekend.  But I don't think it will do that.  I truly just don't see an interest for this film.  It has no personality and if you see the ads for it, you would have no idea which animation studios did it.  It just seems forgettable.

Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: 2019-12-22 14:11:49 »

It will be forgettable.
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: 2020-01-22 20:02:34 »

So the film recouped it's costs, but it wasn't stellar in anyway.  It made $136.1 million.  So it made about $36 million over its budget.
Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: 2020-03-07 12:44:01 »

So since Disney bought 20th Century Fox Animation, that means Disney owns, Blue Sky Studios too.

Rainberry
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: 2020-03-07 12:45:42 »

The next scheduled film to release for this studios is a long time from now.  It is set for January 14, 2022 and it is something called, "Nimona."

That is three years since their past release before this next film will come out.  Why so long?

This may help explain that:

"Blue Sky Studios was acquired by The Walt Disney Company as part of their 2019 acquisition of 21st Century Fox, which concluded on March 20, 2019. On March 21, Disney announced that Blue Sky Studios and its parent company 20th Century Fox Animation would be integrated as units within the Walt Disney Studios with co-presidents Andrea Miloro and Robert Baird continuing to lead the studio reporting to Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn. In July 2019, Miloro announced that she would be stepping down from her role as co-president leaving Baird as sole president.

In August 2019, former Walt Disney Animation Studios head Andrew Millstein was named as co-president of Blue Sky Studios alongside Baird, while Pixar Animation Studios president Jim Morris would also be taking a supervising role."
« Last Edit: 2020-03-07 12:46:58 by Rainberry » Logged

RainySunshine
SCM Member

There is a 100% chance of Sunshine ahead for You.

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: 2020-03-07 21:26:07 »

Makes me wonder if this topic should cease to exist to be merged with Disney animation?  Maybe not... I don't know.  Maybe once they get things calmed with their new owners, they will have more projects in the works.
Darrin
Administrator

Email
« Reply #9 on: 2021-05-22 16:12:10 »

As some expected, Disney will KILL Blue Sky Studios.  I think this was pretty apparent this would happen.  Buy them out, then kill them, get rid of competition and thy have no need for another animation studio.

Disney Closes Animator Blue Sky Studios Amid Cost Cuts

Disney is shuttering Blue Sky Studios, the animation studio it acquired as part of its purchase of the majority of Fox's assets two years ago.

Disney's decision, unveiled on Tuesday, will eliminate about 450 jobs.

Blue Sky Studios, which Fox bought in 1999 following the success of Disney's Pixar studio, is best known for the animated films "Ice Age" and "Rio."
Its most recent film was 2019's "Spies in Disguise" which made $171.6 million at the box office.

Last year, Disney said that an "Ice Age" series for its Disney+ streaming platform would be available in early 2022. That plan is still in place despite Tuesday's move.

The studio will unwind over the next two months. Entertainment Weekly reported.

The move resulted from the losses the media group has posted amid the coronavirus pandemic lockdown.

"Given the current economic realities, after much consideration and evaluation, we have made the difficult decision to close filmmaking operations at Blue Sky Studios," Disney said in a statement.
« Last Edit: 2021-05-22 16:12:50 by Darrin » Logged

:):):):):):):):):):)>>> "Green is the New You" -PSF <<<:):):):):):):(:):):)
Anyponedrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: 2021-05-22 21:53:39 »

Well that's too bad.  I can't say anything they made was spectacular but they had talent and some unique ideas.  They also did have some good films like the first Rio and first Ice Age.  I can't believe Disney would just let the Ice Age IP just disappear like that... It is a $6 billion dollar franchise after all.
« Last Edit: 2021-05-22 21:54:58 by anyponedrawn » Logged
Blurr
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: 2021-05-23 07:22:41 »

Disney really is trying to become the one and the only one in the world of entertainment isn’t it?

Water, earth, fire. Long ago, the three seasons lived together in harmony. Then everything changed, when the Shyamalan attacked.....
~~~~~~~~
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt7Z9zf_O70YIrx7UD9xyYg
Fimfiction: https://www.fimfiction.net/user/AutoKnight
TheBeesSneeze

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: 2021-05-23 16:42:54 »

I really hate to hear this. :(  One less studio making unique content.
Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: 2021-05-24 18:43:17 »

Bye competition.

Can't say I was too surprised Disney would shut them down once they owned them.  I mean, they already owned several top tier animation studios.  In Disney's eyes, "Blue Sky" was probably a lesser company.

Disney did say they are working on a tv show spinoff for the Ice Age characters.

Wolfwood
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: 2021-05-28 21:57:41 »

I didn't hear that Ice Age would be kept by Disney.  Interesting. 
Pages: [1] 2 > Go Up Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  Television & Film Discussion  >  Topic: Blue Sky Studios Animation Discussion « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2024