PSF
News: BREAKING NEWS: The blue forum is back online!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: COPPA It's Bad. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: < 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: COPPA It's Bad.  (Read 219 times)
Darrin
Administrator

Email
« Reply #15 on: 2019-11-24 12:20:43 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwnvjuCTb54

I found this video interesting.

If it's as bad as it is... I'd think this video would be removed.  Good info.  Thanks!

:):):):):):):):):):)>>> "Green is the New You" -PSF <<<:):):):):):):(:):):)
Darrin
Administrator

Email
« Reply #16 on: 2019-11-24 12:27:55 »

This deserves to be watched.  Good vid, Mega.  Here it is folks, give it a watch.

People are wrongly putting the blame on the FTC when the blame should go to YOUTUBE/GOOGLE for their ineptitude and greed
« Last Edit: 2019-11-24 12:33:09 by Darrin » Logged

:):):):):):):):):):)>>> "Green is the New You" -PSF <<<:):):):):):):(:):):)
Silverwing
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #17 on: 2019-11-24 12:39:28 »

So Google wouldn't make as much money so they are doing this?  We all know Google is a greedy company who wants your info.

So it is their stupidity and greed they are placing this blame on people.

The FTC isn't here to sue people.  They don't even want to.  But Youtube's and social media blew it out of proportion making people believe that.  NO.  FTC is not going to sue content creators.  Don't be silly.  But if your channel causes trouble for Youtube, they will just axe your content.

COPPA has been around since 2000.  Other site's that have followed the law, don't have anything to worry about.  Youtube who purposely ignored it for profit and data now is placing the blame on others.
AnyPoneDrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #18 on: 2019-11-24 12:43:21 »

To some level, Youtube has followed COPPA.  You aren't allowed to join unless you are over 13.  They made YOUTUBE KIDS for people under the age of 13.

But people lie and join when they are under 13.  It's not their fault then... is it?
megacycle
Learning to walk

Email
« Reply #19 on: 2019-11-24 12:53:39 »

To some level, Youtube has followed COPPA.  You aren't allowed to join unless you are over 13.  They made YOUTUBE KIDS for people under the age of 13.

But people lie and join when they are under 13.  It's not their fault then... is it?

I think it's because you can watch most videos without needing to be logged in or click an, I consent to the use of cookies and I am over the age of thirteen.

I still feel it is the duty of a parent to monitor what their kid is doing online... or acknowledge that their data is being collected while they are browsing the internet. It's complicated and stupid. It doesn't help that they push their creators to censor themselves to be advertiser friendly, kid friendly. It's weird. It's stupid. It's putting the creators in the middle of a fight that they don't belong in... because the content creators aren't the ones collecting the data... it's youtube and google.
Silverwing
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #20 on: 2019-11-24 12:54:53 »

I still feel it is the duty of a parent to monitor what their kid is doing online...

And it should be.  But we sadly see how most parents just hand a phone or tablet to a baby and let it entertain them.  They don't even pay attention to what their kids do and buy the Grand Theft Auto at Christmas.

It comes down to bad parenting.
Pages: < 1 [2] Print 
PSF  >  The Lounge  >  General  >  Topic: COPPA It's Bad. « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2019