PSF
News: Read the news section about important information regarding site contacts.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
PSF  >  Creative  >  Requests & Commissions  >  Topic: Creating a Visual Novel? (Coders/Writers/Artists) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 > Print
Author Topic: Creating a Visual Novel? (Coders/Writers/Artists)  (Read 1889 times)
Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« on: 2016-11-07 11:00:47 »

So I was wondering from people who can code, how hard is it to make a simple story that is images with characters in front?  You know the kind of graphic stories you can buy on Steam for like $10. 

It would tell a story, but allow the player to choose choices when responding to a character at certain times.  Does anyone know how hard this would be?

It would require routing for options from the story.
Being able to slap a character in front of a background setting.
Knowing how to code.

So in the grand scheme, I was wondering if people would be interested in this, and it might be a way to help pay off PSF's bills.  We could make a simple story, anyone who wants to help, and maybe see if we can make a few bucks to help pay for that $400 operating cost, PSF does.  I don't remember the exact amount.  As well, if we make extra, we could split profits... or just not make anything on it and do it for fun.  Be cool if we did it good enough, we could get it on Steam Greenlight. 
« Last Edit: 2016-11-13 22:25:28 by Grapefoot » Logged

Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #1 on: 2016-11-07 11:22:02 »

To get it on steam wouldn't there be a game first? So like. Basically SiE but this time a story instead of a game?

I'd help write the story, but like, why characters would we use? We can't exactly put it on steam if it has ponies since we're not allowed to make profit off a copyrighted thing in that way.

Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: 2016-11-07 11:43:43 »

It would have to be people. ;) 

I should have made it clear, I wasn't talking about a pony game.
« Last Edit: 2016-11-07 11:44:04 by Grapefoot » Logged

Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #3 on: 2016-11-07 11:47:45 »

There we go haha.

That would be interesting.

Silverwing
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: 2016-11-07 12:15:01 »

Hmmmm.  I'm not sure how hard it would be. 
System423
Master Member

Stranger than Fiction

Email
« Reply #5 on: 2016-11-07 13:15:42 »

Making the backgrounds, characters, and writing the story and dialogue would be relatively easy, but the concept of coding and creating the game itself would be the hard part.

Yeah whatever, guy.
Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: 2016-11-12 13:14:41 »

Okay, thanks all.  I was hoping a coder would step forward, but oh well.  I am moving forward with this idea and have studied up on basic programming.  I want to make it so the game can be played on your PC/Mac and mobile. :)  But mobile may get axed. 

I am testing a simple version with stick figures for now, to see if I can actually do this. 

My goal when it all works, to have voice actors read scripts.  I would need male and female.  Would anyone be interested?

Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #7 on: 2016-11-12 13:33:00 »

I'd be good with VA'ing.

MasterXtreme
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: 2016-11-12 16:30:57 »

This is so hidden.  I hadn't heard about it until today.

So what is the premise?  Is is a dating sim?  Slice of life story?  You going to throw in sneezing for people here? 
Soda
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: 2016-11-12 22:32:40 »

Is it just for fun or what will you do, Grapes? 
Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: 2016-11-13 15:33:35 »

My goal is to make a short example one.  Like a tester story that might only be like ten minutes long.  The tester story can be a sneeze thing I guess. Like taking car of someone who is sick or having options to make them sneeze.  Sort of a mini re-evaluating of Sneezing In Equestria but without pones. ;)

The big story would definitely have a sneeze or two in it, mainly for us. ;)  But it would aim to be mainstream.  Dating from a guys perspective with a varying of female characters, but I will avoid those horrible tropes.  Oh my gosh... need to spark some originality in it. 

This is a long term project, so don't expect anything.  lol!  It might never even work out if I can't get components together or it is beyond my understanding in coding (which is very low).

Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: 2016-11-13 15:36:57 »

As of this moment, I have no soundtrack, and that is secondary.  If we get a soundtrack, it will have to be creative commons or free content that is allowed to be used. The voices are also secondary at the moment.  Story is in the works and we are trying to determine an art style.  That said, two characters have been drawn in a non-anime style.  We might try that road, and see if it gains traction.  Here is one of the characters in an early form below.

We need a background artist and a character designer if they have neat ideas.  If you want to be involved, send me a message and what you could do.  Story ideas?  You bet we need one.  We are trying to stay clear of tropes already out there such as going to a school or something like that. 
« Last Edit: 2016-11-13 15:38:13 by Grapefoot » Logged

Death Blossom
Legendary Member

Leap'd on outta here

Email
« Reply #12 on: 2016-11-13 18:09:37 »

Well, Tropes Aren't Bad, Grape.
They can be used well. You just have to spark something interesting in it.

But I could help being a story writer or something.

Grapefoot
Legendary Member

PSF Member

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: 2016-11-13 21:01:32 »

Thank you Leaps. :)  I didn't forget about our dual story either.  Just... you know, things happen and come up.  So we will do that eventually.  But I am pretty pumped right now.  I have figured this out enough to actually open a page, with a background and a character that pops up and to have text.  I am so jazzed right now!  This is not a photoshopped page, this is a legit screen capture of what I have so far. :)  It is fully functional. 

AnyPoneDrawn
Legendary Member

PSF Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: 2016-11-13 21:04:22 »

Wow!  That is awesome, Grape!  You are really determined and getting results.

Who drew that girl for you?  She looks friendly. :) 

This reminds me of SiE, except you are now getting results.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 > Print 
PSF  >  Creative  >  Requests & Commissions  >  Topic: Creating a Visual Novel? (Coders/Writers/Artists) « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines | PSF © 2014-2019